Suggestions for Ram Mounts for Garmin Nuvi?

Bike
09 ST1300
Hi all, I have decided to order a garmin nuvi 2495 lmt gps unit. While I am waiting for the unit to arrive, I have been looking at mount options for the unit from Ram mounts. I intend to use the Ram "B" ball supplied and installed in my Helibars riser, and the powerlet plug in the riser also. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this setup, what length arm works best, and if I should use the aluminum or composite Ram components? I see that Powerlet makes a nice little cable with a adaptor for the nuvi, and I am considering this. I understand that the traffic receiver antenna is in the garmin cigar cable though and I would lose this feature. Thanks for your input;)

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have a Nuvi 40LM, and use the Ram cradle for it. Here is the one for yours:

RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 1300 Series Cradle RAM-HOL-GA34U

You'll need a ball for it, which mounts on the back, and an arm to attach it. I recommend the 2" long one.

I did a mount like this when I first got my Helibars riser, but found that it really did not work well, since it required looking "down" too far when I was riding. If you are using the voice prompts, it won't be a problem. I ended up building a "dash" to mount my ram ball , and it is now right above the speedo/tach. There, it is easy to glance at, and works great.

For about the same price as the powerlet adaptor, you can have a standard "cigarette lighter" power outlet in your left side glove box, and retain functionality of your "traffic" warnings.

I found the Nuvi works VERY well on the bike, the only problems being that it is of course, not waterproof, ( I keep a Ziploc bag handy), and it is hard to see in sunlight. I built a glare shield for it, though, and it really made a difference. The Ram cradle for the Nuvi seems a bit insubstantial, but experience has shown me it's as solid as a rock.

If you need or want some pics of my rigging , drop me a PM

Bike
ST1300
I have the same Nuvi, and the ram cradle for it works fine. Like klaproth I have it fitted higher, on top of the dash to avoid having to look down too much, and power it through a normal cigarette socket in the left glove box.

Bike
2005 ST1300
1. Ram X mount. Works great with my Nuvi (2 different models/ sizes) and my large Smartphone (Note 3). The X mount fits so many sized devices it gives me lots of flexibility now and in the future.

2. I have a Powerlet to std. cigarette lighter adapter. Was cheap and again....gives me flexibility.

3. Std. Garmin cord.

P.S. I have the standard length Ram arm, Powerlet in riser plate.
Composite pieces have worked well for me over 5 yrs...still in great shape.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I recently got a 2595LMT and like it a lot. It fits in my old 1490T ram mount fine. But I intend to get an Aqua Box for it and a dedicated (wired to the bike) power cord.

I would skip the cradle and go straight to the Aqua Box. I do understand they are quite bulky though. JMHO

OP
OP
gsforster
Bike
09 ST1300
I would skip the cradle and go straight to the Aqua Box.
Yeah I was considering going the Aqua Box route, but I am concerned it may reduce daylight visibility of the screen. You're right in that they sure do look like they add some size. :think1:

I used a Nuvi 1450 in a Aqua box attached to Helibar risers for 2 seasons. It is large, but very useful. Glare can be a problem, but overall a nice option. Some pics below.

001 (500x375).jpg003 (500x375).jpg005 (500x375).jpg

Bike
2007 ST1300A
GS:

i put the 550 on my bike last year, same config as you describe.
My arm was too low (3" I think?). Go longer.

I'll measure if it helps you.
I'm 6'2"

OP
OP
gsforster
Bike
09 ST1300
RAM quick release adapter.
I really like that quick release idea! Thanks Skip!

My arm was too low (3" I think?). Go longer.
Ok I had originally thought of the 3" but will go with the 5.25" arm (only comes in aluminum from what I can tell). I'm 6'6" so higher would be better I guess, I just don't think I'm ready to start putting dash shelves and stuff on yet. But time will tell.:)

Top Bottom