Suggestions for trailering a ST1100

Good morning, all. New to the forum. Plan on purchasing a ST1100 this weekend. I will be trailering same back home from two states away and for an approximate 325 mile distance. I'm new to this type of motorcycle. I have a number of motorcycles but they are all standards from the 70s. Those are easy to tie down - no plastics. What do you guys and gals suggest for tie down points without damaging the bike/plastics? Thanks for any and all advice. Really looking forward to obtaining this bike... Ryan

Not long ago, there was a thread with photos showing this - a search is in order.

Why not rent a car one-way and ride it back? : )

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
There are engine guards on the right and left sides, inside the black plastic "tip-over wings". I use 2 ratchet straps on each side, coming off of the TOW, one forward, one aft. Also nice if you have a chock for the front wheel. I like the Condor chock, but the Harbor Freight one is decent for the money.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I've used the handlebars (early in 2001); it worked but I don't recommend it.
Actually I recommend against involving the handlebars in the tie down, forks if you can avoid the plastic works.
I recommend using at least one through the back wheel as an abrupt stop can make a bike swing over the front tire.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I use a wheel chock on the front wheel.
With the tipover covers removed (you will tie to the Bars underneath the covers) roll the Bike on, put the side stand down and lean the Bike on it. Cinch the left side tie down to remove slack, cinch the right side, pulling the bike upright. Make adjustments and add extra tie downs for safety.

Last edited:
Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Good morning, all. New to the forum. Plan on purchasing a ST1100 this weekend. I will be trailering same back home from two states away and for an approximate 325 mile distance. I'm new to this type of motorcycle. I have a number of motorcycles but they are all standards from the 70s. Those are easy to tie down - no plastics. What do you guys and gals suggest for tie down points without damaging the bike/plastics? Thanks for any and all advice. Really looking forward to obtaining this bike... Ryan
This is how I tie down ST1300.

Attachments

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Where you tie to on the trailer can dictate where you attach to the bike. I used a U-Haul motorcycle trailer to move my ST1100. Trailer had a channel in the center, a depression in the front wall and short sidewalls with tie down bars. The straps from the triple tree to the sidewalls was fair, and didn't touch the bodywork. The straps from the tip-over bars went to tie down points on the trailer deck. If the trailer does NOT have a chock, or a guide for the wheels, use two 2X4's screwed into the trailer deck to create a channel. You don't want the possibility of the tires sliding to the side. Tie downs as fair as possible, not rubbing on bodywork unless absolutely necessary. Crossing the front tie downs, left-right, right left, going directly down to the trailer deck is great if you can. Pay attention to tongue weight, it may or may not be a factor with your tow vehicle.

U-Haul rents a motorcycle trailer for very cheap. But its heavy...

RT

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I used 4 soft loop straps and a wheel chock when I picked up my ST a few years ago. I read it's not advisable to use the passenger grips on the seat, but at the time I didn't know better...IMG_3576.jpg

OP
OP
Thank you all for your responses/suggestions/and photographs. Much appreciated. I do have a wheel chock on my trailer which does make this a heckuva lot easier. Ryan

Top Bottom