SV1000 naked sport bike as a second bike

Bike
R1200RT
I bought this off the Craigslist a couple months ago for $4,200. It had almost $4,000 worth of accessories on it (Penske shock, 4-1 exhaust, Ohlins front etc) almost all of which I took off and sold, bringing the bike back to stock. I now have less than three grand in it, and was planning to sell it for my nice profit - I made the mistake of riding it, holy crap is this bike a blast to ride! never owned a vtwin sport bike before, but I just can't believe the low end power - makes the 919 I used to own feel like a 600. I'm keepin' it! :D

Attachments

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I bought this off the Craigslist a couple months ago for $4,200. It had almost $4,000 worth of accessories on it (Penske shock, 4-1 exhaust, Ohlins front etc) almost all of which I took off and sold, bringing the bike back to stock. I now have less than three grand in it, and was planning to sell it for my nice profit - I made the mistake of riding it, holy crap is this bike a blast to ride! never owned a vtwin sport bike before, but I just can't believe the low end power - makes the 919 I used to own feel like a 600. I'm keepin' it! :D
They are a great bike. I put 44k on a 2005 SV1000S. I'm pretty much a "V" motor kind of guy......love the torque. But she's got it elsewhere, too. I had mine up to 160mph and she was still pulling. :D

I used to have a TL1000S, a (sort of) predecessor to the SV1000, that 90 degree v-twin engine is fantastic, awesome low end, very very fun.

Incidentally I rode with a TLS just last weekend, and that thing would easily out pull my ST from down low (we were just touring around too), the guy was barely twisting the throttle and I could hear his engine was just relaxing, and I was wringing the neck of the ST :p fun, but an obvious difference in performance.

The SV1k is definitely a good 2nd bike :p

Tazmool

Bike
ST1300
I wish there were more V-Twin sport bikes out there. There just isn't much to choose from. An Aprillia Shiver is on my short list :)

V-Twins are better at legal speeds due to where they develop their power. A peaking 4 banger isn't really any fun until you are up over 60mph.

FYI, those SV's make great track day bikes.

Uncle Lumpy

Doc Holiday
I've had a 2003 SV1000N (bought new) since 2005...very sweet ride. I especially like the contrast to my ST1300. The SV feels especially light and flickable compared to its 300 lb. heavier cousin the ST. :D

Uncle Lumpy

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Had a 2005 1000S. Great bike loved the motor. You are so going to wish you'd just kept the Ohlins and rode the bike.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
was thinking about the Gladius ... same engine, naked bike and it is a bit sportier based on the reviews....

OP
OP
Bike
R1200RT
Had a 2005 1000S. Great bike loved the motor. You are so going to wish you'd just kept the Ohlins and rode the bike.
I have $2900 in the bike after selling all the stuff, I feel like it's my birthday! this stock suspension is pretty darn good, both ends are 3-way adjustable.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Yes the stock suspension can be very good with one change. Swap stock progressive springs out for straight wound.

Swap the front springs for straight wound race tech springs for your weight (cheap enough).

Then set the suspension sag correctly! Just that much is a great improvement.

Adjust the front compression by putting a zip tie on one fork and seeing how much travel you are using after some rough road running and normal stops along with feel. Set the rebound so when you push the forks down hard and release, they come back up and settle again just the slightest amount. Set the rear suspension so when you push down hard on a footpeg while standing off to the side of the bike, the rear goes down and returns with the front at very close to the same rate. Now you have a baseline to make refinements from, but the bike will handle and hold a line worlds better than before.

Just a suggestion. I had mine dialed so it handled very well and carved lines great over both rough and smooth pavement. Set up right it's an awesomely fun bike. I don't know what you weight but the stock rear spring is a bit stiff-ish, so to match things I used a front spring for aggressive riding and my weight. It made for taught suspension but the bike responded outstandingly to aggressive twisties then.

OP
OP
Bike
R1200RT
A couple weeks ago I made the mistake of riding on it in the mid 50's. I am just now over the blasted cold I caught, not that I needed a reminder of how great my ST is.
I'm still debating on whether to order Givi racks and E21 bags and a gel seat and keep it or just sell it. This dreadful economy may make that decision for me, Craigslist is completely worthless unless you are into giving your bike away....

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I used to ride mine happily in the 30's and occasionally colder :D Makes you know your on a motorcycle :p:

Corbin saddles work best on SVs, I've had Sargents, gel etc., Corbin.

OP
OP
Bike
R1200RT
It had a Corbin on it when I bought it, that was one of the farkles I sold off. It was comfy, but I kind of like the 1 1/2" more legroom of the stock seat. The Gel seat is the same height, much more comfy than stock (so I've read) and is 40% the cost of a Corbin. I'm also considering sending my seat to Spencer, that is if I decide to keep this beast.
Very nice artwork btw, you have mucho talent.

Uncle Lumpy

Doc Holiday
I'm still debating on whether to order Givi racks and E21 bags and a gel seat and keep it or just sell it. This dreadful economy may make that decision for me, Craigslist is completely worthless unless you are into giving your bike away....
I turned my SV1000 into an SV1000ST by adding the hardware at
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/269/168/

It worked pretty well, but now that I have the ST1300, I removed all the sport-touring extras from the SV1000, removed the "shovel," installed a Holeshot fender-eliminator kit and don't really have a use for the SW-MOTECH hardware or Givi bags. I might be willing to part with them for a reasonable price if you decide to go down this path Chesthing.

BTW, I went with a Sargent seat on my SV and loved it. Made it rideable (for me) for longer than an hour at a time.

Uncle Lumpy

Top Bottom