Switch on Sidestand causing

Bike
2002 Honda ST1100
Pulled out the old 2002 ST1100. Put sidestand down and Started the engine with choke on to warm it up. Ready to go, I put sidestand up, pulled in clutch, put in first gear... engine died. Figure side stand is not right and wriggled it with my foot, and it didn't die next time. Got on the freeway, and then it started to shutdown, continue, then shutdown and then startup. Got off the freeway, got about 2 miles with it doing the same thing. Finally pulled over and it wouldn't start. Finally reached down and pulled the sidestand out as I knew the switch was was connecting and disconnecting. With it pulled out as much as possible I was able to drive it home. I was on the way to work, so I jumped on my 2006 Honda VTX1800 and would worry about the ST for later.

So, before I tackle it, I want suggestions. My sidestand has always been loose, and sometimes drags, so I have to use my foot to get it located up enough so it wouldn't drag. So is the bolt holding it need tightening? Switch need replacing? I will check it out this weekend, but some advice would be helpful. I had to look on the internet just to see where it as attached and how.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Trace the cable to its connector and disconnect it.
Find a way to bridge the terminals in the half that is closest to the harness.
Try the engine with and without that bridge. This will inform you whether or not the switch is at fault. If it is, the only solution is to get a replacement.

This should only be used as a diagnostic, or as an emergency get-you-home trick. If you set off with the sidestand down with the switch by-passed in this manner, the first time you lean to the left, the stand will not fold back - it will dig into the tarmac and behave like a pole-vaulters pole, throwing you and the bike. If you are lucky, you will survive to learn from this mistake.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
So is the bolt holding it need tightening?
Maybe. The stand rotates on a pivot bolt. That bolt may be loose, but the stand should still retract.
Switch need replacing?
If you need to pull it up with your foot to prevent it from dragging, either the spring is weak, broken, not there, or the stand is seizing up on its pivot sufficiently that the spring can't overcome the resistance. If your stand doesn't retract enough, the switch doesn't switch. The same problem would exist if you replace the switch. You need to fix the stand before you consider a new switch.

OP
OP
Winfried
Bike
2002 Honda ST1100
How does the spring attach correctly? Some back, I was trailering the bike and the spring came off. Since I put it on, the side stand has always been loose so I think I didn't connect it correctly.

Top Bottom