Switchback LED Dual Color Turn Signal Bulbs??

Bike
2000 ST1100
Hi,

Ordered the clear lens for my ST1100 and upon looking for 1157 LED kits I came across several types. The two basic types are the Sockets with external resistors which plug into your current sockets which I see in older videos and the 'new' LEDs with resistors built in for Anti Hyper Flash (quite a bit more expensive)

- Has anyone used the stand alone leds with built in resistors?
- If so, heat build up?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Don't use resistors of any type. They only consume power and waste it as heat, which negates one of the big advantages of switching to LED bulbs which is freeing up wattage for other uses. Purchase the ones with the exterior resistors if that is convenient and the price is right, just don't use the resistors.

As stated above, switch to an electronic LED compatible flasher unit to prevent the hyper-flash.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Somewhere there’s a post with all the part numbers I used to convert my ST1100 bulbs to LED.

That will get you the part numbers for all the bulbs I’m using.

OP
OP
jacMA
Bike
2000 ST1100
Here you go.
I see that I need the two(2) LED bulbs and the Flasher Relay. How/Where do I wire in the Relay. I seem to remember three relays on the right side of the nose fairing. Does it just directly replace that? Is the connector the same?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The flasher is not really a relay, as it has no coil, and it's in its own location.

The socket has three wires, but the flasher only uses two, not the green wire.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I see that I need the two(2) LED bulbs and the Flasher Relay. How/Where do I wire in the Relay. I seem to remember three relays on the right side of the nose fairing. Does it just directly replace that? Is the connector the same?
I just responded to your PM Jim.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have used these switch-back bulbs for over a season now. They have worked very well for me,, and I have purchased a set for ThunderSTruck as well (not installed yet). So far,,, no resistors needed. But I will drop an electronic flasher in, once I switch the tail bulbs to LED's. Cheers,,, CAt'

Top Bottom