Switchback LED oddities... (:-(

Bike
2003 ST1300
Well, I was so happy with my new switchback led upgrade ( clear lenses to follow soon ), until I was sitting in traffic and noticed that one of them was out. Humph.

Not sure what’s going on, but figure maybe someone here has seen it before. In the video you can see what happens...

They both work in the marker position, when you turn on the left signal, everything goes as expected, until you cancel it, at which point the right marker never comes back on...

I’ve tried switching the bulbs from side to side to make sure the right one wasn’t faulty, but it works fine in the left socket...

If I put the right signal on, it seems to “reset” and everything works as expected until you activate the left signal again. Perplexing.

For reference these are the bulbs:TUINCYN 7443 T20 7440 Switchback LED Turn Signal Bulbs Daytime Running Light Bulb/DRL Extremely Bright 2835 21 SMD Amber-Off-Amber-Off Car Tail Light Parking Light(2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0734XT5ST/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_m8LODbMB1WY7D

Help? LOL!

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
That could do it. Head to Pep Boys, Walmart or Reilly’s or whichever auto parts store is less than 6 minutes away and get a two wire LED compatible flasher. Should be all of $4 or so.

Bike
2010 ST1300
+1. Your flasher seems to work faster than mine. Since these flash at the 'normal' rate when faced with the expected load, installing LED's will lower the load and increase the flashing rate.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
1) Both running lights work
2) Left (PORT) blinker works. Canceled the left (PORT) running light comes back on
3) Right (STBD) blinker works. Canceled the left (PORT) running light now goes out and the right (STBD) running light is back on as expected.
4) When you use the left (PORT) single on the marker and cancel the left running light comes back on.

I said the above as most people visualize left and right as when seated on the bike whether your seated or facing the bike. This has been wired into my puny CPU from an early age that I actually had trouble following the text compared to the video. But that's me.

So an LED flasher will restore the flash rate to that of (or close to) the original rate. I'm not so sure it will cure the problem but as you intend to replace it there's no loss if it doesn't.

In the mean time I'd pull the left (PORT) side cover off and set the faulty blinker condition and give the flasher really some kinetic persuasion and see if that fixes things. If so it's probably the relay. If not it may still be the relay (which you're replacing anyway) or some other gremlin like a loose connection or bad light socket.

Here's a diagram of the some of the relays. The cluster is just to the rear of the middle of the bike PORT side. The flasher is in the back of the pack:

Good hunting.

Last edited:

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Not sure if this applies but on the 2010 Ninja 250 I’m putting back on the road, it behaves the same way as HondaInTheSun’s does but only when I have LED up front and incandescent in the back with the standard relay.

It’s fine when it’s all LED or all incandescent and with the appropriate relay installed.

Hence suggesting swapping the relay.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
My guess is that you may have just a bad Switchback led.

There is a logic circuit in it that holds off the white leds while the yellow leds are blinking when the blinking stops there is a short delay before the white turns back on.
Somehow when the right side stops there is a glitch that flips the left side into the wrong state.

Does it "fail" only when on the battery (12v) and maybe work when the motor is running (14v) ? which would indicate level sensitivity.
you might check all the connections for dirty connectors or a bad ground.

The relay type should not affect this.
The oem relay might have corroded contacts.

My switchbacks are still working fine ( 65K miles later... ;)

again I would just replace the questionable LED and not chase ghosts.......

Last edited:

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
You’re right, I missed that point!

Simple things like swapping sides, relays or bulbs are easy, if it’s convenient to get the part.

After that, patience and cheap-ish test tools come into play.

HondaInTheSun, not sure what’s in the tool chest but I’d take a test light and start at the socket. Put it in the mode where the bulb should flash but doesn’t and test away.

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
Thanks everyone for the tips. I’m going to try and locate a relay today at O Reilly’s or Walmart, just to be sure, is the pic attached the right one? And is it likely I can find one at these stores? Thank you all SO MUCH. F9EB3F9B-72A1-4C61-B0B6-BA26CF7E2EC2.jpeg

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Anything that affects only one side, and stays despite swapping, has to be between the last common point and the problem spot.

Anything ahead of the common point (here, the turn-signal switch) would affect both sides, so the flasher cannot be the problem.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Thanks everyone for the tips. I’m going to try and locate a relay today at O Reilly’s or Walmart, just to be sure, is the pic attached the right one? And is it likely I can find one at these stores?
What ST do you have? I don't remember what my relay looked like but as that says 21W MAX that's probably it. It came from the back right of the bank of relays? That's the one. Turn on your blinkers and when they don't - you'll know.

I don't know if you'll find that exact relay in a parts store except a Honda shop. But if you do- great. You may have to settle for something like:

The important thing is that connector. The shape of the flasher doesn't matter. FWIW the above from superbrightleds.com works great. Let us know how you fare.

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
What ST do you have? I don't remember what my relay looked like but as that says 21W MAX that's probably it. It came from the back right of the bank of relays? That's the one. Turn on your blinkers and when they don't - you'll know.

I don't know if you'll find that exact relay in a parts store except a Honda shop. But if you do- great. You may have to settle for something like:

The important thing is that connector. The shape of the flasher doesn't matter. FWIW the above from superbrightleds.com works great. Let us know how you fare.
I have an ST1300. When I tested the signals with that relay removed ( to make sure it was the right one. It was. ), I noticed that the markers work completely as expected on the switchbacks when I use the directional switch on the handlebars, which is interesting.

I’ll report back after the upcoming relay hunt...

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
That one from Superbright LED’s has worked well in every bike I’ve used it in.

+1 on ST Gui’s post about the shape and connectors. If you can wait, I’d order one of these.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have an ST1300. When I tested the signals with that relay removed ( to make sure it was the right one. It was. ), I noticed that the markers work completely as expected on the switchbacks when I use the directional switch on the handlebars, which is interesting.
That's because the marker and signal lights are powered by separate wires.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
My normal bulbs have started doing the same thing. When I activate a turn, the blinker works (so the bulb isn't bad), but when I cancel, the opposite stays unlit. With a short (not fully activating the opposite turn signal, just an offset in that direction) both position lights remain active again. I think the problem is in the switch as well; the centering part is getting stuck and not returning on its own. Needs a good cleaning! I've done it once, it's easy. Clean and lube and I'd bet all will be well again. (edited to add a few pics of what mine looked like the first time I opened it up)
2012-10-27 20.12.47.jpg 2012-10-27 20.12.32.jpg 2012-10-27 20.18.00.jpg 2012-10-27 20.18.16.jpg 2012-10-27 20.38.44.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
My normal bulbs have started doing the same thing. When I activate a turn, the blinker works (so the bulb isn't bad), but when I cancel, the opposite stays unlit. With a short (not fully activating the opposite turn signal, just an offset in that direction) both position lights remain active again. I think the problem is in the switch as well; the centering part is getting stuck and not returning on its own. Needs a good cleaning! I've done it once, it's easy. Clean and lube and I'd bet all will be well again.
Great point Gus! The switch has felt a little sticky / stiff of late. How does one “clean” it? Assuming it’s not as easy as squirting a little Wd40 into the switch?

As an aside I’ve ordered the new relay, but we’ll have to wait until Wednesday for the results.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Great point Gus! The switch has felt a little sticky / stiff of late. How does one “clean” it? Assuming it’s not as easy as squirting a little Wd40 into the switch?
Not WD-40. Get electrical contact cleaner at almost any hardware store, like Home Depot or Lowe's. Spray a tiny bit in each side of the switch button slot with the red tune, then move the switch left to right to left to right several times, with a few push-ins, repeat.

Top Bottom