Symptoms of Your SMC going South!

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I'm wondering if I might not be paranoid as well. When I turn my rear tire by hand, I do hear a slight rubbing/scraping sound and the tire stops after about one rotation (although, I have to admit I didn't actually count the rotations). If I actuate the rear brake (pedal) and release, the tire spins again.

Also, when I spin the front tire, I hear that slight rubbing/scraping sound from the left front caliper, but not the right front caliper. Should I be concerned?

I did have the PCV valve warranty checkup done in September and everything was fine. I went over the service bulletin with the Service manager and it indicated to contact Honda directly for a replacement if the PCV was bad rather than list a replacement part, which he thought a bit odd.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I found a post in a different thread from Mellow where he says a little drag is normal... So Mellow, if you are reading this, I'm trusting you, dude!

...I guess I am just paranoid.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
nature of how disc brakes work... there are no springs to pull back the pads ( like on drum brakes ). So, there aways will be some slight drag noise.

If you find one really dragging, then it's not to hard to pull the caliper and extend the pistons a bit for cleaning... gunk may stop the piston from returning easy. Also don't forget to check the pad pins and where the pads slide.
Cleaning usu solves many brake problems.

PS; as to temp of rotor, the rear seems to be a bit warmer/hotter than the front in normal use ( for me anyway )...but if you can touch it for sec without burning yrself its prob ok. ( my pipes are hotter than my rotors :) )

Top Bottom