OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
STWannaBe said:
Thanks JGilmore! Because I forgot to ask, what types of switches are best to use for the heated grips? I'm sure it would have to be waterproof and low profile...
Dave,

I used the switch that came with the heaters. It is a low profile switch I placed just below the left fairing pocket lid. Looks like it was installed from the factory.

Tor

Installation

I got the Symtecs from CA sport touring yesterday, am going to install them this weekend.

I am curious, how much space did you leave between the heater pad and the throttle housing plastic on the throttle side?

-John

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
jgilmore said:
I got the Symtecs from CA sport touring yesterday, am going to install them this weekend.

I am curious, how much space did you leave between the heater pad and the throttle housing plastic on the throttle side?

-John
On both sides I put the elements smack in the middle, i.e. when the rubber is off, I put the elements on so the distance from the bar end and the distance from the switch housings were the same. I don't think it's critical though.

torlang said:
On both sides I put the elements smack in the middle, i.e. when the rubber is off, I put the elements on so the distance from the bar end and the distance from the switch housings were the same. I don't think it's critical though.
Thanks.

My concern was my throttlemeister, if the grip hangs out too far because of the wire, it may not work right. I was going to place the pad as close to the switch housing as I could, but not too close so that it would pinch.

-John

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
For the throttlemeister, mark how far the friction washer slides on the throttle tube and make sure the heater element will not overlap. For me, I place the grip heater element to the edge of the TM friction washer.

jeff4912

'03 Honda ST1300 Std
STOC #
When you put your grips back on over the heater elements, did you use grip glue or just put them on over the heating element without any adhesive?

STOC #
???
Heated grips

dond said:
No insulation for me.

I've had the heaters for 3 years now and laST Saturday I noticed the right was only working on low. I peeled the grip back a bit and removed the protective tape over the wire to heater connection and discovered a broken wire at the soldered joint. A coule of minutes with a solder gun and I'm toasty again!!
Love 'em.
Are they the Hondaline? Mine are. After two years of good use, I found a burnt fuse, after replacement they worked fine once. Now the fuse is still good but no heat. I have been unsucessful in finding the cause. Any suggestions?
KZ

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
BikemanKZ said:
Are they the Hondaline? Mine are. After two years of good use, I found a burnt fuse, after replacement they worked fine once. Now the fuse is still good but no heat. I have been unsucessful in finding the cause. Any suggestions?
KZ
Take loose the el. connection to the grip in question, and ohm out (using a multimeter) the grip element. I bet you will have no connectivity through the element, i.e. burned element.

Last edited:
Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Saved by the information provided by Norman PCN.

Yesterday, I installed the accessory Hondaline harness, additonal connectors from Electrical Connection, and the Symtec heated grip liners. The grip liners work great (just like they do on my VStrom), but my A/B tripmeters and my clock keep resetting every time I turn the bike off and on. This goes on all day and I am thinking I will have to pull the left middle side fairing off again. But, a search of this forum links me to the 10 amp mini-fuse for accessories. I check it, it is blown, and I replace it. I must have touched one of the wiring combos on the accessory harness leads. We'll see if the fuse cures the problem. I'm thinking it will.

Dennis

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I tried using adhesive tape as an insulator on the left bar a couple of times on various bikes, both electical and duct tape. I found that the glue gets all sticky and squishy letting the grip slide and rotate around the bar when the heat is turned up. :( I've had better results putting 1" heat shrink tubing under the heater foil and grip, using either isopropyl alcohol to slide the grips on (letting the natural tack of the rubber hold them in place) or hairspray.;)

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
dbst1300 said:
Saved by the information provided by Norman PCN.

But, a search of this forum links me to the 10 amp mini-fuse for accessories. I check it, it is blown, and I replace it. I must have touched one of the wiring combos on the accessory harness leads. We'll see if the fuse cures the problem. I'm thinking it will.

Dennis
Thanks for the kudos and welcome to the club. :D

That is exactly how I found this out. I must have accidentally touched the always hot line to something when I was wiring my power socket for my GPS to the accessory harness.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Looks like Dual-Star Grip Heaters now come with shrink wrap in the package. The shrink wrap is for the left handlebar to off set the heat sink effect.

This is something many of us have been doing in the past. Looks like Dual-Star has listened and is now supplying the heat shrink.

STOC #
Mike said:
Looks like Dual-Star Grip Heaters now come with shrink wrap in the package. The shrink wrap is for the left handlebar to off set the heat sink effect.

This is something many of us have been doing in the past. Looks like Dual-Star has listened and is now supplying the heat shrink.
Was your package actually marked Dual-STar or Symtec? I ask because I juST bought a pair of Symtecs and they did not come with the shrink tubing you describe (nor have any of the previous 6 or so sets I have bought).

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
I just bought a set to install and was wondering if you can just pull the left storage pocket out to route everything without pulling the middle fairing?

Is just below the lower left side storage area the best place to run the switch?

Any pictures of switch location?

Thanx - Dean

Top Bottom