Synthetic Marvel Mystery Oil long term use?

Hi Everyone:

I tried Synthetic Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) for the first time and it completely changed how smoothly my ST transitions through gears. The gearbox feels crisp and responsive. The clutch friction zone feels... more forgiving and consistent if that makes any sense.

Now for my question... does anyone use MMO on a regular basis? I'm ready to add this stuff to every oil change moving forward - it's just that good.

If anyone has long-term experience with MMO or synthetic MMO I would like to hear what you have to say.

'Hope you all have a great weekend.

-Charles

Bike
2010 ST1300
You might consider being cautious with additives. AFAIK, there are no impartial, independent studies that verify the claims of widely advertised fuel, oil, etc. additives. The advertising will often state a study, commissioned by the manufacturer with little to no evidence of its findings. I particularly like that oil additive that is added to a running engine on a stand, then all the oil is drained away and the engine continues running - proving how superior its lubricative properties are.

That said, there are more than a few of us here who use them.

I'm eliminating specialized fuel preservative treatments such as used by large diesel using companies from this discussion, tho there even seems to be a bit of a question about Stabil gasoline treatment.

OP
OP
SirSquid1300
So I wasn't planning on running this stuff for more than 200 miles - I'm at the end of an oil change cycle anyhow. At this point, I'm entertaining all options to avoid having to replace my clutch. But it would be nice to know if anyone has some history with it.

Since @Igofar is here... A few years back, you recommended I try diesel oil. Can you remind me which diesel oil weight/type you recommend? I would really appreciate it.

OP
OP
SirSquid1300
The petroleum panel at a Motor Vehicle Conference at the University of Washington Conference stated clearly " Some oil additives won't hurt you engine".
Oh I went into this knowing I was rolling the dice with one of these oil treatments. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I will need to replace my clutch (I this hoping MMO might dislodge any crud in the clutch). I'm only going to run this stuff for another 50 miles or so, then it's getting drained.

When I was working with a fleet of diesel vehicles a salesmen came in selling a product that would improve mileage in our fleet. The stuff was expensive and I could not get him to explain how it got better milage with a mechanical injection system. His explanation was you got more power so you did not need so much fuel.
So lets see how that worked, fuel cost went up because of the cost of said additive. Have you ever heard of a local driver who did not use all the power available. Plus you did not want get near the fuel tank or fuel. The smell was toxic.
Where we got our info was another site where he put the stuff into their fuel and were really pissed

I also remember a manufacturer that used a water based glue to bond clutch plates to the media. A additive package off the shelf at the auto parts store dissolved the glue and caused warranty claims that got denied. It turned into a small mess.

Bike
ST1300@2009
Since @Igofar is here... A few years back, you recommended I try diesel oil. Can you remind me which diesel oil weight/type you recommend? I would really appreciate it.
Rotella T6 (5W-40) or Delo 400 (15W-40) should work fine.

Just inspect the logo behind the bottle to ensure it doesn't have friction modifiers.

Bike
ST1300@2009
Here is Larry's input on the recent oils:

Bike
VStrom 650
Squid, you may or may not be using an additive that may or may not cause clutch plate damage.
Now you're thinking of using a motor oil that may or may not cause clutch damage.
Have you ever thought the purchase of a good oil filter and a can of Motul semi synthetic might make life simpler?
But who wants simple.
Upt.

I'm firmly with @Igofar ' s comment / opinion.

MMO, is exactly that, it's a mystery, and it's not marvelous. Have only used Rotella t6.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Never ever used any fuel or oil additive in over 50 years of owning combustible gasoline engines. It is my understanding that the fuel/oil companies already have blended their selective blends of additives that meet all the requirements. But if one want's to go for it.

I have friends who say they have used the tune-up in a can, also known as Sea-Foam, I haven't been tempted to use it in anything.
The only thing I have used is as a mechanic is a injector cleaning kit with with a specific hoses and disableing the fuel pump with limited results. Not used for cleaning while driving, used in driveway,
Have to be careful because some injectors are deposit resistant and once that coating is gone new injectors are needed. I have bought new injectors and have a buddy with a test bench that failed the new ones as unable to get the same flow readings, needed ten to get the flow match. Better off cleaning the old set which almost always come out matching flow rate.

Bike
2000 ST1100
And, I bet you have survived happily w/o the additives!
Yes I have as I like to call out the BS of the additive people telling you just gotta have it. Ole red one does not want to sound like a broken record but 259K miles on the Corolla using only regular non synthetic oil for 15 years then switched to semi synthetic for the last 3 years because 5W30 conventional not being made by Pennzoil. ST1100 sits at close to 86K miles only Honda conventional oil has been in the sump since the motor was first built. No additional concoctions required.

Top Bottom