Synthetic Oil Help with HEAT ??

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
In the section on known issues/concerns someone writes of how changing to Synthetic Oil on his ST1300 made a dramatic improvement in the amount of heat he felt while riding the bike. (lessened the heat!)

Any other riders that have experience concerning this? Did changing to synthetic help with the heat on your feet and legs?

I've been running with a blend oil for about 1,000 miles and trying to tame the savage beast of the heat my bike is throwing off (and have been helped in all sorts of ways by many of you), and still wanting to get things a bit cooler.

Also, any suggestions on what synthetic oil to use?

THANKS.
DWJ

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
That's a really good question.

Synthetic has made every car I have owned run cooler.
I would think it would have the same effect on a motorcycle.
I have always run synthetic in my VFR so I really can't say if it helps.

Royal Purple shows a thermal analysis of air-cooled heads comparing dino with synth oil and demonstrates notably cooler heads running synth.

Watched it on some bike show over the weekend.

I have to question the real-world results of this with a thermostatically regulated liquid coolant system which is going to keep the engine coolant at a relatively constant temperature regardless. But in an air cooled system, it makes more sense to me.

Bike
ST1300 2006 ABS
Holler out from the bike guy

I run synthetic blend in my bike after the break-in. From what I've heard from other riders who use full synthetic, is that it makes the bike run hotter, but you don't have to change the oil as often.

My mechanic buddy says that it is a waste of money. He is real good about telling me what I should spend my money on. :beer8:

ps:

While I question the thermal comparison using liquid cooled engines, its not clear above that I am 100% pro-synthetic for every engine I own based on the benefits of synthetic oil.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Royal Purple shows a thermal analysis of air-cooled heads comparing dino with synth oil and demonstrates notably cooler heads running synth.

Watched it on some bike show over the weekend.

I have to question the real-world results of this with a thermostatically regulated liquid coolant system which is going to keep the engine coolant at a relatively constant temperature regardless. But in an air cooled system, it makes more sense to me.
I think that was "American Thunder". If I remember right, it showed a drop of 75-100 degrees.

John

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Synthetic oils are generally considered to be slipperier than conventional oils so overall friction should be reduced. Reduced friction = Reduced heat. Makes sense to me. I wonder however, with a liquid cooled, thermostatically temperature regulated engine, whether the reduced friction derived heat would be noticable to the rider?

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Yes, the thermostat thing does make me wonder why.

But I have marked where the temperature needle sits on 2 or 3 of the cars I have owned and the temperature does indeed drop when switched to synthetic.

Ok, now my head is hurting. :-?

jasonJonas

Saver of Turtles
STOC #
In the section on known issues/concerns someone writes of how changing to Synthetic Oil on his ST1300 made a dramatic improvement in the amount of heat he felt while riding the bike. (lessened the heat!)
i'm a skeptic and would presume there were other factors playing a role at the time of this perceived improvement. i'm not sure what the actual temps are, but 5 even 10 degrees cooler than 200F is still damn hot.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I switched to Mobil 1 MX4T (name is now changed to Racing 4T) at approx 750mi, and have noticed no difference. Pulling the inner cowls made more of a noticable difference, though not a lot. I intend to do the TB sync, then the pipe wrap if needed.

Bike
2005 ST1300
resST05 is correct. On a liquid cooled bike the thermostat will regulate a constant temperature, irrespective of the oil,<or outside air temp. for that matter>. Synthetic oil is very good insurance for air-cooled bikes which are MUCH more prone to overheating <cooking the oil>.

STOC #
From a not to be named ;) synthetic oil web site

"Heat Dispersal
Another function of motor oil is to
cool the engine. The radiator/antifreeze
system is responsible for
about 60 percent of the engine cooling
that takes place. This cools only
the upper portion of the engine,
including the cylinder heads, cylinder
walls and valves.
The other 40 percent is cooled
by the oil. The oil is directed onto
hot surfaces, such as the crankshaft,
main and connecting rod bearings,
the camshaft and its bearings, the
timing gears, the pistons and many
other components in the lower portion
of the engine that directly
depend on the motor oil for cooling."

(insert: Motorcycle transmission and clutch :) )
"Engine heat is created from friction
of moving parts and the ignition
of fuel inside the cylinder. Oil
carries heat away from these hot
surfaces as it flows downward and
dissipates heat to the surrounding air
when it reaches the crankcase.
Lubricating an engine actually
requires a very small amount of
motor oil compared to the amount
needed to ensure proper cooling of
these internal parts.
The oil pump constantly circulates
the oil to all vital areas of the engine."

I have witnesed a drop in radiant engine heat when using synthetics in all types of engine and transmission applications. Less friction, better heat transfer and dispersion = less radiant (not operating) temp/heat.

Spencer

Last edited:
I am more than casually acquainted with Amzoil and
Royal Purple synthetic oils. I am pretty sure they are
superior to petroleum oils for friction reduction and
resistance to breakdown. I don't think Royal Purple's
film strength can be matched in the industry, which
translates to lubricated starts, which is where a lot of
wear occurs.

I've been using Amzoil for 9K and when I change it will
be to Royal Purple.....and I am comfortable using both
for 10 to 20,000 miles....