T6 10w30

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I see shell makes rotella T6 10w30. These codes on back screws me up. But will the T6 10w30 work on our beasts?

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
This from a search of the web. The Rotella T6 oil carries the JASO MA rating for 4 stroke motorcycles: So, yes, you can use Rotella T6 in your 4 stroke motorcycle engine with a wet clutch. Do match viscosities to your motorcycle manufacturer's requirements. T5 appears to not be MA, MB compliant. T6 appears to not be available in 10-30, but is available in 10-40 MA certified. Check out the link.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
ANY NON motorcycle oil in a 10W30 are almost always Resource Conserving and will not be OK to use with a motorcycle wet clutch.

LOOK at the bottle labels closely and do not use if JASO MA is not prominently displayed.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
JASO MA and MB is the magic code.
Amen. That is the the key issue, the most important criteria that you need to look for when buying oil. The JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) 'MA' specification label on the oil container tells you that the oil is appropriate for use in 4 stroke motorcycles that have wet clutches. As long as the oil meets the JASO 'MA' spec (what Honda specifies for the ST 1100 and ST 1300) and is the correct viscosity, it's OK.

JASO 'MA' specification oils will not have an 'energy conserving' label on them.

Other than confirming that the oil meets MA spec, just check to ensure that it is wet and slippery, and if it meets that criteria, it is satisfactory for use in our ST's.

Michael

Don't use oils with this 'Energy Conserving' label on them
full-29850-239027-api_motor_oil_service_rating_donuts.jpg

(Edited to correct an error that @beemerphile caught - see his post #10 below)

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
You could of course just use the correct grade high quality motorcycle oil recommended by Honda or top notch oil company. I know I'm completely stark raving bonkers :nanner1:.
Upt'North.

Bike
R1200rt
Updated May 24, 2019 · Author has 515 answers and 1.4m answer views

Q: Is Synthetic Rotella T6 Oil still JASO/MA rated safe for motorcycles?
Yes, it is!
Although an excellent oil and quite capable, I would not 'Highly Recommend' Rotella T6 even though it meets ALL the motorcycle requirements. I would suggest using Rotella T5 (semi-synthetic). The T6 is a 5W-40 so for most motorcycles that use the same oil for motor and gearbox, it is too thin (very low viscosity). The T5 is a 15W-40 which is thicker (higher viscosity) giving most motorcycles with combined engine gearbox something more substantial to work with. Check with your motorcycle specs and fluid requirements to see what viscosity it requires. Also see David Svoboda's comment below - very good points.
Shell is not marketing any of its Rotella products for motorcycle use, but contrary to what I had written earlier (thanks to Geoffrey who corrected me) they do state that it meets JASO/MA standards or ratings. So it does meet or even surpass them, but Shell is still not advertising them as motorcycle oils just means that Shell is not considering that market for these products.
Shell does not want to compete with its own Advance range of motorcycle oils even though it puts those specs on the Rotella oils.
That means the T5 is an excellent choice for that purpose and cheaper than the T6 ;)

Bike
2000 ST1100
Got 71,899 miles on my 2000 ST1100 that has had nothing but Honda GN4 4 stroke oil in the crankcase since the day I bought it some 19 years ago. Excellent oil that can be had for 20 dollars a gallon. And best of all using this oil takes care of all the guess work of will it work or not. For 20 dollars its an easy decision for me.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
ANY NON motorcycle oil in a 10W30 are almost always Resource Conserving and will not be OK to use with a motorcycle wet clutch.

LOOK at the bottle labels closely and do not use if JASO MA is not prominently displayed.
You may want to look at the back of some of the HDEO (truck oils) as Delo, Rotella, and several others offer 10w30 weight HDEO's that are not resource conserving.
Been using them for years in Goldwing's and ST's.
:rolleyes:

Bike
04 ST1300
Got 71,899 miles on my 2000 ST1100 that has had nothing but Honda GN4 4 stroke oil in the crankcase since the day I bought it some 19 years ago. Excellent oil that can be had for 20 dollars a gallon. And best of all using this oil takes care of all the guess work of will it work or not. For 20 dollars its an easy decision for me.
I follow the same strategy.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Gee, I was advised awhile back, that any of the 15w-40s truck oils would work fine.

So, I go to Sam's Club, I've picked up Shell T5 15W-40 when it's on sale for 6 gallons for $60. Done that a couple of times. I also picked up some Delo 15W-40, 3 gallons for $20 on clearance, because it was supposed to have 4 Gallons, but one was missing. That is what I have been running in all of my ST1300s (except the 2012) and have gotten over 340,000 miles out of those bikes and haven't had an oil caused failure yet.

I've been using Motul 10W-40 in the 2012, but that stuff is expensive...I'll probably switch over to the other stuff next oil change.

And to help this thread along, I'll throw in the fact I only use K&N 204 Oil Filters!

:potstir1:

Bike
VStrom 650
Around and around we go! I love oil threads!
Just think Morguns, winter is just around the corner then we can really get stuck into some 300 posters. I'm sure the last one barely reached 200 which just isn't cricket.
This oil thread is dead, long live the oil thread.
Just thought, we've also got fuel Stabiliser threads to come.
I love winter :biggrin:.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom