Tachometer quit working!

Bike
ST1100 '02
i also having similar problem... mine is when i do a cold start, the techo does not move till riding in a hot day for a good 1 hour, then the techo will start to move...

had checked all the connection and they are intact... when to a bike shop and they told me that i would need to replace the whole meter!!! had been living with it for 2 years already, and i just feel the engine and change gear...

no point purchasing another whole meter due to the techo failure...

Bike
Vstrom 650
My rev counter stopped working yesterday also,I suppose the first thing to do is check if the wiring connections are ok behind the clocks,after that I haven't a clue.
I had the bike up some very rough 'roads' I'm thinking maybe all the vibration might have caused a connection to loosen, hope it's something simple.

Bike
ST1100Y
If you've checked all the connections and seems fine, the tacho could be the issue(there's a small electronics board with a coil behind the tacho)
Mine was responding exactly like the rest of the guys mentioned, initially working fine, then response started getting worst, need to ride/warmed up 20-30mins and it works fine again. Lived with it for awhile.

Checked all wirings and continuity, everything checks out fine.
Picked up a used meter last year on fleabay from a bike wrecker in Cork for a reasonable price whilst on trip to Dublin.
Installed tacho & everything is working fine again.

I saw they have another unit for sale:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HONDA-PAN-EUROPEAN-SPEEDO-CLOCKS-INSTRUMENTS-DASH-DISPLAY-MPH-ST1100-ST-1100-93-/400724382167?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item5d4d08d1d7

Hope you do not have to go the same route as me :)

Bike
Vstrom 650
If you've checked all the connections and seems fine, the tacho could be the issue(there's a small electronics board with a coil behind the tacho)
Mine was responding exactly like the rest of the guys mentioned, initially working fine, then response started getting worst, need to ride/warmed up 20-30mins and it works fine again. Lived with it for awhile.

Checked all wirings and continuity, everything checks out fine.
Picked up a used meter last year on fleabay from a bike wrecker in Cork for a reasonable price whilst on trip to Dublin.
Installed tacho & everything is working fine again.

I saw they have another unit for sale:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HONDA-PAN-EUROPEAN-SPEEDO-CLOCKS-INSTRUMENTS-DASH-DISPLAY-MPH-ST1100-ST-1100-93-/400724382167?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item5d4d08d1d7

Hope you do not have to go the same route as me :)
Thanks for that,I'll get a look at her later on and report back.

Bike
92 ST1100
May seem like checkin' the wrong end of the STeed, but check that voltage regulator plug-in that its contacts are all clean.....JAT;).

Bike
Vstrom 650
Well I had a look behind the clocks,everything looks to be in place,the Haynes manual is useless,it says if the tacho isn't working 'contact your Honda dealer' and then goes on to describe how to fit a replacement meter.
Brant I'll try finding the voltage regulator,the tacho just stopped working and not intermittently as some have described here so my guess is the meter is broken.

Bike
Vstrom 650
May seem like checkin' the wrong end of the STeed, but check that voltage regulator plug-in that its contacts are all clean.....JAT;).
Wouldn't other things be affected if that contact wasn't good? and not just the tacho? thanks

Bike
Vstrom 650
I had a mechanic friend check the wiring and there is a signal there,all the wiring is ok,he suggested it could be a solder connection behind the tach that may need repairing,anyway he will remove the clocks and check it out at some stage,no panic doing it till Winter time,if it needs a replacement clock I can deal with that then.

Bike
ST1100Y
Broc, I'm not sure if this helps, took some pictures of my "slow to respond" tacho with the plastic backing on & removed.
It has a small pcb with some components on it(x2 capacitors, x2 resistors, x1 variable resistor, x1 diode & x1 IC - power inductor according to my friend google) :)
Only solder connections to the board are the 2wires(red & black)
There's some sort of a small coil/spring device attaching the tacho needle to the unit itself, unable to remove that though.

Ray
IMG_1036.jpgIMG_1038.jpgIMG_1039.jpg

Bike
Vstrom 650
Broc, I'm not sure if this helps, took some pictures of my "slow to respond" tacho with the plastic backing on & removed.
It has a small pcb with some components on it(x2 capacitors, x2 resistors, x1 variable resistor, x1 diode & x1 IC - power inductor according to my friend google) :)
Only solder connections to the board are the 2wires(red & black)
There's some sort of a small coil/spring device attaching the tacho needle to the unit itself, unable to remove that though.

Ray
IMG_1036.jpgIMG_1038.jpgIMG_1039.jpg

Thanks for that Ray,I will take it apart and see what's going on at some stage,seems unlikely it's a solder joint from your pics, I suppose it's not possible to buy just the tacho on it's own.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Well it turns out that the tacho itself is broken,some very fine connection that is too fine to be soldered,it would likely be a job for a watch maker,
so I ordered a set of clocks from ebay,they are from a non abs,I'm hoping that the tacho clock is the same in both,I know the surround is different,more lights etc, but I'm hoping Honda would have used the same tacho clock in both. I'll know on Monday anyway,fingers crossed.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'm hoping that the tacho clock is the same in both...
Their interchangeable, but there design differences between pre '95 and post '96 models...

And as I'd written elsewhere: allow time for that surgery, work at a sterile, dust free and dry space (if the later exists in Ireland ;-) ), do not touch faces and glass (inside) with bare fingers and clean thoroughly before buttoning the instrument-cluster back up...
You'll also note the seal in the glass; I'd cleaned it and applied a slight smear of silicone grease on that rubber-cord.

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
Their interchangeable, but there design differences between pre '95 and post '96 models...

And as I'd written elsewhere: allow time for that surgery, work at a sterile, dust free and dry space (if the later exists in Ireland ;-) ), do not touch faces and glass (inside) with bare fingers and clean thoroughly before buttoning the instrument-cluster back up...
You'll also note the seal in the glass; I'd cleaned it and applied a slight smear of silicone grease on that rubber-cord.
Oh no Martin,the clocks I ordered are from a 93 non abs,I better contact them in the morning to cancel,they won't be leaving by courier till tomorrow,back to ebay and search again.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Oh no Martin,the clocks I ordered are from a 93 non abs...
Didn't you have a look at the photos in the Ebay add??
Check again and compare colouring & lettering with your instruments, before spreading panic to the seller...

Bike
Vstrom 650
Didn't you have a look at the photos in the Ebay add??
Check again and compare colouring & lettering with your instruments, before spreading panic to the seller...
I intend to just swap the tacho clock,it looks the same to me from the pictures,I see the later model bikes have the indicator on warning lights in a different place.
The actual tacho gauge looks the same to my untrained eye anyway.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Just checked out the part numbers for the tacho clock on cmsl. the part number is the same from a 93 non abs and my own 2000 st1100ay model.
Part number 37250MT3602 231 euros!!! plus postage!!
I got the complete 93 clocks for 30 euros delivered from PTS bikebreakers in Cork.
cmsl links for both 93 and 00 abs models,

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-st1100-pan-european-1993-englandmkh_model4745/tachometer-assy_37250mt3602/

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-st1100a-pan-european-2000-englandabs_model4699/tachometer-assy_37250mt3602/

I think I'm right anyway,but I have been known to be wrong,on occasion:D

Honda part number 37250-MT3-602 from lings Honda, tacho gauge the same for all model years.

http://www.pan-europe.utvinternet.ie/parts/meter.htm

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100
I think I'm right anyway,but I have been known to be wrong,on occasion:D[/QUOTE]

A Donegal man admitting to being wrong on occasions !!!!! now there,s a first:D

Bike
ST1100Y
I think the tacho is the same for all years, I can't tell the difference from my original '00 to the older tacho prior to swapping them out.
The speedo however has differences since over where I'm located, we use Kilometer instead of miles. But I did noticed that the one I ordered from the bikebreaker in Cork(good lads) had some sort of small calibration sticker by the side of the speedo, presumably it's a requirement in europe?

Top Bottom