Tackling the Wiring Nightmare.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
The new battery is waiting to be charged but first the massive tangle of wires to the fuse case (case not box ) has to be sorted out . This is an ABS 2002 ST 1100 model . ABS is a mystery to me but I will rely on the original Honda wiring colours. Coming out of the wiring loom for a few inches are various coloured wires . They have been reconnected with some narrow connectors and covered with black heat shrink rubber . Sadly the colours have been mostly changed to Red and a few Blue ,regardless of the original colour . The extensions are about as long as my forearm and end up with badly fitted terminal connectors . The shear volume of the twisted wires was the biggest problem . 3 of the connectors have already dropped off the wires. They were probably not using a crimping tool to compress the metal and plastic together . One thin black wire was piggy backing and twisted onto the terminal before the slide on connector . There is one extension that began as a thicker wire and ended up thinner .
So I started to disconnect each terminal ,adding a fuse case terminal number (Left or Right ) and taking out all the bends and twists . The fuse case has a label for Top and L/R. I could just shorten them with new connectors but I want the original wire colours to be there . If push comes to shove I will solder the damn things in place . There are some familiar Honda connectors they have been used since early Honda 50 days . They can stay there . There is a cube shaped component with a soft plastic bonnet ,but the wide open end faces upwards . That seems wrong if you ever ride in the rain . Part of the loom drops down to a square black box (The ABS fuse case). That cable run was reshaped to reduce the way it crossed all the other wires. Now it runs horizontal and turns straight down to it`s designed space .
This fuse box has open terminals sprouting out on both sides . It does not look like a very safe design . Partzilla may help there .
Some of the new red wires have an untidy (and tight ) double back connection to chunky black rubber connectors . I had one single mystery black wire drifting around near the fuses with some electrical tape stuck on it . My son will enjoy the thorough circuit testing session in a few days .
Just as I was squeezing past the bike there was a loud clatter . Nothing on the floor and then I saw the flasher lamp assembly dangling from the winker wires . Lets chalk that fairing connection as a Honda design abberation . But why is that plug connection such a sod to disconnect ? Happily the mirror sits there as solid as a rock . The left side flasher assembly is plastered in place with unsightly black Gorrilla tape . A nice contrast with the silver fairing . They must have been in a hurry to repair that one . The right side has some kind of soft rubber compound vainly trying to hold one plastic button . Maybe it was designed by a Russian (Vladimir Popoff ). Mainly the stubborn wiring connector has done it`s life saver duty there.
I used to be a Panel Wireman and worked on big metal boxes the size of a room for North Sea Oil Rigs . They controlled the Concorde style jet engines pumping gas ashore in Maggie Thatcher`s days. Recently they showed the rigs being closed down and there was one of my panels being yanked out . The end of an era . But with this bike it`s like Deja Vu all over again .
Searching through Partzilla the original fuse cases are unavailable. On ebay the case fitted is a marine design with bare metal tabs poking out. That would be safer in a closable box.
With a colour coded set of wires I might extend them all to live behind the seat and buy a box with a proper cover on it .
I feel at home with a full circuit diagram even though the symbols look nothing like the physical objects . But I may need to draw parts of the diagram larger by hand .I can`t get the laptop in the garage .

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
It sounds like someone has botched a lot of things onto the original harness. I would be tempted to remove everything that doesn't look original and start from there - but it sounds like you know that anyway !

One day you will be grateful that those wing mirrors just knock off - but they should remain dangling on a cable tie, not on the wire. If the three sprung clips don't have 4 'legs' then they are cheap enough to replace.

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
It is a botch when the wires drop out of the connectors. I remember a film clip of a rider slowly driving at the edge of the quayside , easing round the corner the mirror or luggage case against the bollard was just enough to tip him upside down into a rowing boat . I think it was a Goldwing so we can have a laugh about that one .

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Cruelly the film stopped very quickly . It was a sharp intake of breath moment .
Now I am searching for some stripey coloured wire . Who would sell that ?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
This company has striped cable:

Thinwall Cable cut to length: Polevolt Ltd

The stripy colours start with the 1.0mm cable - which is good for 16A. Sold by the metre. Look in the drop down list.
The Thinwall stuff is much nicer to work with, carries more current for the same gauge, has a thinner, but harder wearing sheath, is able to stand greater temperatures and takes up less room in the harness.

You'll also find the 2 pole up to 9 pole connectors that match the smaller current Honda connectors in there under connectors / mini lock.

Also worth a look for connectors and such like is https://kojaycat.co.uk/ - they have the same style but in a range of colours.
They don't seem to have the stripey cable - but a glance down the side list will reveal stuff for motorcycles and connectors for some Honda Motorcycle looms.

If you are getting connectors, buy more terminals than you need. There are always a couple that crimp wrongly.
And a reasonable crimping tool.

There will be other companies around as well. These are two that I use. I also use https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ - but they don't seem to have the striped cable that you are after.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Thankyou jfheath . I just realised the bike was ABS with all those pipes running around but there are no boxes under the fairing, So I could remove the ABS fuse box and blank off the wires. A few extra ccs of space . I used to identify wires with slip on plastic ferrules with numbers etc at both ends . They could be useful . Or even spell out the colours as in the circuit diagram if I did not use stripey colours .

Bike
2010 ST1300
It is a botch when the wires drop out of the connectors. I remember a film clip of a rider slowly driving at the edge of the quayside , easing round the corner the mirror or luggage case against the bollard was just enough to tip him upside down into a rowing boat . I think it was a Goldwing so we can have a laugh about that one .
It was a french moto journalist on a (new) black FJR catching the pannier on named bollard...
Must have been a big rowboat. Or did he sink it?

On this side of the pond wires have a temperature rating for the insulation, and some are listed as oil and solvent resistant. Automotive and marine wires commonly have a rating of 90º to 105ºC, depending on the type of insulation. And, of course they are stranded.

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
I made a list of the fuse colours from the Honda circuit . Not all the colours match exactly to Polevolt`s but close enough. I can`t work out how to use the Polevolt site checkout . They register one colour wire at a time but when you go back for another colour the first one disappears . A change of wire thickness makes the others disappear too . They seem to have a lower price limit and that tries to override the wire list with lots of adverts .

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Must have been a big rowboat.
Going right over the quay the bike landed on the floating footbridge front wheel first, the unlucky rider ended up in the hull of a sailboat moored there...
Would have liked to see that insurance incident report though...
Or did he sink it?
Neither the harbormaster nor the french equivalent of fish & wildlife would have been happy over the fuel- and oil-spill of such...
Harbor FF hectically putting out oil barriers, etc...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks Andrew. That's hard on the sailboat. The guy is lucky he did not get skewered by a railing stanchion or something else protruding upward. Who was behind the video camera while this guy was riding? It almost looks like a made-for-youtube-video. Good thing the guy did not pick a meticulously restored old mahogany runabout to land on.

Bike
R1200rt
Thankyou jfheath . I just realised the bike was ABS with all those pipes running around but there are no boxes under the fairing, So I could remove the ABS fuse box and blank off the wires. A few extra ccs of space . I used to identify wires with slip on plastic ferrules with numbers etc at both ends . They could be useful . Or even spell out the colours as in the circuit diagram if I did not use stripey colours .
Did this bike run and charge before you started getting into the wiring?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Odd that it has ABS pipes and no fuse ?? Summat's up.

Regarding Polevolt. I have just tried and it works for me.

Did you press the back button, or 'continue shopping' after selecting the first length of cable?

I used continue shopping, 'cos Back will reload the original page, which didn't have any previous orders. Perhaps that caused the issue ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
The battery had gone flat and refused to start last time. It was an old battery .The sides were bulging . The ABS fuse box s still in place . The replacement normal fuses for headlamp etc was the bodged one . I worked out the Polevolt site method . You have to keep pressing the Continue Shopping button . I have never been good with computers .

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Apart from an intact ABS fuse box which will be useless without the ABS control box I need to sort out the main fuse system . The new box will have 8 enclosed sets of terminals instead of a box with exposed terminals ,which is not a Honda part. On top of that collection of wires is a number of black chunky rubber fuses piggybacked to the wires that will fit in the new box . No labels and all red wires . I was surprised at the number of very good wire connectors on sale .

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
While awaiting a few more electrical bits I tried to understand where all the large plug sockets had come from. These were bundled up behind the seat and are probably ex ABS parts which have been abandoned but still remain in the loom .The earthing strap bolted to the back of the petrol tank was looped back and the down beside the mudguard . The seat had been pressing the braided copper onto a thick part of the wiring loom and had managed to grind away most of the outer insulation .It stopped at the coloured plastic wires but no damage apart from that . I rerouted the strap straight down from the fixing bolt. Honda and Yamaha both had untidy wiring sections under the seats on a few of my previous bikes . It`s a good idea to look there first with any bike .

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
I found the braided copper earthing strap for the petrol tank had been grinding away insulation on a large electrical loom .That was just under the seat . It stopped just as the coloured wires were showing . That strap was unbolted and reconnected and then pushed down below the frame at the corner of the tank .
Always check wiring below the seats on used bikes .

Top Bottom