Tail case quick disconnect ?

Forgive me if this has been discussed already but has anybody successfully made a quick disconnect for their tail case/trunk? I am going to fab something secure but wondering if anybody else has attempted this.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have. I don’t think I have pics of it but I used a 2 wire harness to connect to the case:

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the case near the front as well as a small hole in the bike (ST1100) just in the plastic lip that’s covered by the back of the seat. I then put a small grommet in each hole I drilled, ran the wires through and now if I want to put my trunk back on, all I have to do is install and plug it in. It works very well. The plug remains in the bike and is hidden under my rear backrest (well, under the pad of the backrest) so the wires aren’t kinked at all.

I actually just found my pics. If you’d like to see them, PM me your email address and I can send them all to you (easier to email them than to post them here).

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I mounted lighting to the bottom of my Givi mounting plate. That way I have extra lighting with or without the trunk. I prefer to ride without my trunk unless my wife is with me or I'm on a long trip.
That is VERY nice. I have a Honda OEM backrest on my 1100 (when not using the trunk), so I don’t think there’s a way to mount a light underneath the backrest, but that turned out great!

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
This is what I used.I think they are S?A?E connectors.My local auto supplier keeps them for model railroad ears.ljust have this under my seat.water resistant under there.Be careful to keep bike side of connection--positive unexposed.

Rail roaders S.A.E. Not erasing all that mess!

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
st11ray-Is that light one of these?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
st11ray-Is that light one of these?

Yep. That's it. I used a "L" shaped piece of aluminum to attach it to the GIVI rack. I also have 2 Hyperlites that are just brake lights just under the light bar.

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
If you have a GIVI tailbox, Admore Lighting of Calgary makes superb kits to mount inside the rear reflectors which gives you a high-mounted brake light and turn signals too. The Admore kits for tailboxes come with a nice secure quick disconnect that allows you to leave a small pigtail sticking out of the rear end of the pillion seat - and that will plug into a socket which you can mount in a convenient spot on the forward-underside of the box.

Perhaps a little spendy, but worth it IMO and much cheaper than being rear-ended by a phone-yakking real estate agent in an Escalade.....

EDIT: I just went on the Admore website to poke around and found this LED conversion kit for the ST1300. I have bought Admore products for my ST1300 tailbox before and they were top quality. Sadly, my 1300 is now sold, otherwise, I'd be ordering a set of these headlight upgrades.

https://admorelighting.com/product/honda-st1300-high-performance-led-kitshims/

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If you tailbox is a GIVI, Admore Lighting of Calgary makes superb kits to mount inside the rear reflectors which gives you a high-mounted brake light and turn signals too. The Admore kits for tailboxes come with a nice secure quick disconnect that allows you to leave a small pigtail sticking out of the rear end of the pillion seat - and that will plug into a socket which you can mount in a convenient spot on the forward-underside of the box.

<SNIP>
Why are the shims a part of this? After all the reading about LED conversions, I understood the shims (wires or however) were not necessary on the 1300, but are required for 1100 alignment.
These look a lot a like the F2's which were first mentioned (I think) about 15 years ago. That thread is quite long, as you can imagine.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Why are the shims a part of this?
I suspect that the term shim is a misnomer on their part and rather than being shims they are actually adapter rings designed to correctly marry the bulb to the Honda ST1300 headlamp alignment tab configuration. I get the impression that they use the same bulb with various adapters based on the light bulb base configuration that is ordered as opposed to a one-piece bulb and base configuration. If so, they would only have the adapter designed to fit the ST1300 headlamp housing, rather than an H4 base that then also requires an additional shim.

Just a guess on my part however, as I have never seen them.

Top Bottom