Take a chance on a used Throttlemeister?

Bike came with a VistaCruise and I hate it.

I want a throttlemeister, but im cheap. I see several used ones in good condition on ebay but they’re not for an ST1100.

I have the “old style” helibars, so I dont need a honda specific mounting kit anyway. Am I right in assuming that the mechanisim in the bar end is the same across applications? I think I could come up with my own plain spacers and bolts from the hardware store...

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Friction lock, so I suspect you're correct that they'll work... I don't know if TM will fit Helibars though...

OP
OP
Hondeltor
Well, the helibar has a threaded insert for the bar end that appears to be welded in. And these bar ends may not even be factory. Honda ones usually have a little “step” machined in the face.

So if the “magic” of a Throttlemeister is just contained in the bar end and the mounting kit is simply to hang it off the bar, this would be quite simple. Just a metal spacer or a stack of washers.

But i’ve never had a Throttlemeister in my hand off of a bike to see exactly how it works.

Attachments

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Honestly, I had one on my 2000 with Helibars. I had it for a number of years, really didn’t use it that much (lots of variation in speed of the bike despite it being set) and a little panic when disabling it if I forgot it was active. I took it off and haven’t used any kind of throttle lock since. I use a cramp buster now that acts like my cruise control and allows your hands to come off the throttle (except for the palm of the hand) so your hand isn’t always wrapped around the throttle. They’re cheap and they work. I would think the best solution for long distance highway cruising would be a dedicated electronic CC but for the riding I do, it’s not a necessity.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I have Throttlemeisters on several of my bikes and thoroughly recommend them. Also have bought a couple on eBay with no problems. They don't wear out, you know... If you are concerned about your application, call them, they are very helpful. Stay far away from those cheapo things, they are dangerous. Virtually all of the problems with them are due to improper installation or incorrect use.

They come with shims to get the friction correct. I set mine so that the throttle will snap closed in the off position and very often during rides I will adjust it for a slight drag so that I can lessen the grip on the throttle for a more comfortable ride.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My TM has a tendency to tighten up with throttle action. After a while, it is at maximum tightness and the throttle stays open until I manually close it. I like it adjusted so that it holds the speed constant for maybe 3 or 4 seconds, then allows the bike to slow.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I never had any problem with the N.E.P. "cheap" throttle lock on my NH750. Holds the throttle when set, releases it when off, easily over-ridden when necessary.
'

The Cheese

I've got a Throttle Meister on my Heli-bared 1100. My bar ends look very different than yours. I have the half moon cut out like factory. Has always worked well...until. I added grip puppies. Took quite a bit of effort to get em all the way onto the grips. Now it doesn't hold the throttle as tight. Slips and losses speed now.

Thinking you might have to have a machine shop make some custom modifications to a set to get it to work properly. Hard to tell from pics but I looks like your bar end weights are longer than OEMs. Good luck.

OP
OP
Hondeltor
Ok, I bought the cheapest “new” set I could find. It was only a few dollars more than some used rashed up ones, ill post up how it works out.

OP
OP
Hondeltor
Success!

Just as I thought, the Throttlemeister end weight is the same across models. What differs is the bar adapter. I bought an “as new” set for an Aprillia for $85, with no idea how they attatch, and this is what they look like:
963811DC-7B19-4C1B-B907-70969EA21E72.jpeg

Ok, Definately not honda. But I thought, all I need is a flat mating surface with a big enough hole in it to attach to the 8mm bar insert:
88E943D3-B348-4F1B-AE04-6AD980BAB3D2.jpeg

Well, what does the Aprillia insert look like?
0E3C4619-5FFD-43D2-B8E2-47252660E7A3.jpeg

So, this is the end that attaches to the Aprillia bars and then the Throttlemeister itself (and the dummy bar end) attaches to the adapter with a short 8mm bolt... I wondered, can I drill these out so an 8mm bolt passes cleanly through?
4A8E7FBC-D53C-4630-88CF-2C576679F091.jpeg

Indeed, I can!
So, what to do with these threads I don’t need...
0AD76A22-267F-425D-B40B-A9F29BB960EF.jpeg

A hacksaw, and a steady hand. Then a little truing on the grinding table and:
4DF13037-DCCA-4B32-AAE4-0705F523B9CF.jpeg

Test fit the spacer back in the bar end:
A1F46BAF-F7B4-4337-8590-A0E188884D48.jpeg

Add appropriate spacers included in the Throttlemeister kit and a longer 8mm bolt from the hardware store:
101965C4-510B-466E-B3F3-5699C03E8B1C.jpeg

All Done!
62207805-244B-493D-AC81-A57E7434D228.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom