Taking Coumadin and still riding?

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've had a really crappy beginning to the new year. The positive thing is that I am still alive to write this. I just survived a Pulmonary Embolism last week (after significant back surgery a week before). I was very, very close to death and I knew it. The ride to the hospital in the ambulance was the scariest thing I have ever gone through. This is the 2nd PE I've had in the last 4 years.

For those of you who don't know what a PE is, it is a blood clot that blocks blood flow to your lungs thereby preventing oxygen from being absorbed into your blood. It feels like you have a plastic bag over your head and you can't get air.

The prevention going forward is to take Coumadin, an anticoagulant. So if you poke holes in your body it makes it harder to stop the bleeding. If you fall down and just bounce, internal bleeding is a significant concern so a CAT scan is important to check for head bleeds.

Anyway, my doc says I should live my life normally and do the stuff I would normally do. My question is for my fellow riders is: Are you taking Coumadin and still riding? Have you looked at the additional risks and said no to riding?

I still haven't had a chance to replace my ST yet and this medical event makes it more difficult as I have had to hit my bike savings to pay medical expenses. I still have the passion though and would hate to give it up.

Thanks to all.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Interesting question. I can see where one might want to think twice about riding when on Coumadin, then again maybe not that much different than all the other risks we take. I'll be listening..

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Well, that is certainly a good question. Sorry to hear of your problems starting off the new year. If I remember correctly, you were on your way to attend OzarkSTOC last year and headed back due to the weather. Maybe now, with all that behind you, you can get a new ride and enjoy life more than ever. I can't speak from a medical point of view but I would advise you to not let it change your life too much. I'm sure you've been briefed on what foods to stay away from like dark leafy greens, etc. My mom is on rat poison too. She gets her INR checked regularly. I suppose it depends on your level the doctor is prescribing. If he's keeping you real thin it may be different than just keeping you therapeutic.

I think you answered your own question. It's a passion and you shouldn't give it up. You're only 50 for heaven's sake! Get some horsepower betwixt your legs and let'r eat. When God is ready for ya he'll track you down.

Jeff

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
Life is short. Live (ride) your passion!

I've had cardiac arythmia on and off since about 1990. I've been on and off of coumadin. In fact, I worked for the company that invented coumadin (E.I. duPont de Nemours), known as DuPont. It was originally created to be used as rat poison, because at high enough doses it will cause internal bleeding.

That never stopped me, nor will it ever stop me from riding.

It's your decision of course. I know that I don't want to become an old bag of blood, thinking to myself "dang it, I could have been riding!" :cool:

The best to you, no matter what decision you make.

Dale :D

OP
OP
Winged_STer

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jeff - that was me who rode 2200 miles to almost make OzarkSTOC. I'd do it again :)

Thanks to all. I will likely continue when I get the opportunity again.

What with all the recent events I am still a bit shell shocked. My bride of 24 years is naturally nervous but ultimately supportive of riding. She's a peach. Knowing that you almost got your ticket punched can rattle your nerves and I guess that's where I am at. Time will make things easier...

You guys are the best.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Gary, what did you wind up doing about the riding vs. Coumadin decision?

I can't believe that I posted to this thread in January, a couple weeks ago wound up with a PE, and am now taking Coumadin myself for probably 6 months!
I could breath pretty well, but damn it HURT! Pretty much forgot about a couple broken ribs and C7 vertebra for a few days...

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Gary,

Seems like you've already been given some pretty good advice so far. The only thing I'd add is that some 10,000 pedestrians were hit and killed by autos last year. Just walking across the street has risks.

John

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
The only things I will add; don't vary your vitamin K intake, stay consistent... watch for any kind of bleeding... GI bleeds will be hard to detect.

Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
I would recommend making sure you have an emergency card on you stating your medications, with Coumadin highlighted. That information will affect how medical personnel treat you. I have taken coumadin and other anticoagulants in the past and still rode. Again your decision, get as much input as you feel comfortable and make the decision based on your own risk taking level.

OP
OP
Winged_STer

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for all the advice and thoughts. I have yet to start riding again for a couple of reasons. My spinal fusion is not quite yet 100% healed although I go in for final x-rays and eval next week. Once the back doctor gives me the thumbs up for long distance riding I will be ready. Biggest impediment at this time is lack of motorcycle purchase money. Just paid off the mortgage and and everyone else in the world and I am in no hurry to go back into debt to buy a bike. Economy still has my neck in a noose. First chance I get though...

As far as the Coumadin is concerned, it looks as if it will be a lifetime ride for me. I hate the stuff, makes me very fatigued, off balance, gives me the craps, makes me cranky, and the biggest issue has been low blood pressure. Not a good combination on a motorcycle. I am afraid to get off of it, but that was my 2nd PE in January. The first one wasn't bad (relatively speaking) but the 2nd one damn near got me. I very nearly didn't make it to the hospital. The last BP they got on me in the ambulance was 62/40 and there was a long while that they couldn't get a reading at all. I wouldn't have made it if paramedic hadn't put a full face mask on me and pumped it full of 100% oxygen. I had already asked the paramedic working on me to tell my wife and daughter that I loved them more than anything. I wish to come no closer to death than that.

So now the docs want me on it all the time but my quality of life kind of sucks. It is better than being dead though. That said, if we can get some of those side effects resolved, I would not hesitate to by an ST or equivalent and finish some the rides I had planned earlier, like Alaska, Glacier, and the South West. I haven't given up yet! :D

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I've had a really crappy beginning to the new year. The positive thing is that I am still alive to write this. I just survived a Pulmonary Embolism last week (after significant back surgery a week before). I was very, very close to death and I knew it. The ride to the hospital in the ambulance was the scariest thing I have ever gone through. This is the 2nd PE I've had in the last 4 years.

For those of you who don't know what a PE is, it is a blood clot that blocks blood flow to your lungs thereby preventing oxygen from being absorbed into your blood. It feels like you have a plastic bag over your head and you can't get air.

The prevention going forward is to take Coumadin, an anticoagulant. So if you poke holes in your body it makes it harder to stop the bleeding. If you fall down and just bounce, internal bleeding is a significant concern so a CAT scan is important to check for head bleeds.

Anyway, my doc says I should live my life normally and do the stuff I would normally do. My question is for my fellow riders is: Are you taking Coumadin and still riding? Have you looked at the additional risks and said no to riding?

I still haven't had a chance to replace my ST yet and this medical event makes it more difficult as I have had to hit my bike savings to pay medical expenses. I still have the passion though and would hate to give it up.

Thanks to all.
I went thru the same decision making process when my cardiologist put me on Plavix. He told me NOT to ride any more. What made that even worse was my wife was present when he said that. As She and I left the Cath Lab she saw the look on my face and said "I am more concerned with you mental health than I am with you physical health". After some discussion we came to the conclusion that just because one is on Blood Thinners, it does not increase the risk of a motorcycle accident. 30 days later I decided to ride again. Of course taking more precautions. Medical info on bike and person. Avoid city type riding and rush hours. ATGATT. And a greater awareness of my riding skills. In the event an accident happens and there is internal bleeding, the effects of Coumadin can be reversed in a relative short time. Not so with Plavix, it needs time, about a week, so I was told by the Doc. Your decision and only yours, How ever when making that decision look at the whole picture. And discuss it with your family.

I am now off of the blood thinners after 3 and a half years. And glad.
Hope you get well soon and if you Ride, Ride safe.

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
SWAMBO is now on Plavix. It's very expensive. Coumadin is extremely cheap but requires continuous and often blood tests and also requires very strict adherance to the daily regimen. At Wally World Plavix is currently $127.50 vs Coumadin at $4.00 for a 30 day supply.

SWAMBO is already with a low pressure problem before the Plavix. Now you are saying it aggravates the problem? Also it makes you EVEN MORE cranky? Aye, yi yi.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
SWAMBO is now on Plavix. It's very expensive. Coumadin is extremely cheap but requires continuous and often blood tests and also requires very strict adherance to the daily regimen. At Wally World Plavix is currently $127.50 vs Coumadin at $4.00 for a 30 day supply.

SWAMBO is already with a low pressure problem before the Plavix. Now you are saying it aggravates the problem? Also it makes you EVEN MORE cranky? Aye, yi yi.
I did not have any ill side effect with Plavix except I bled like and stuffed pig. Blood got everywhere when I cut/scratched my self, and I bruised very very easily. My arms looked like some one beat me with a baseball bat most of the time. I did not have any low BP problems with Plavix.

Bike
1998 CB750
STOC #
Gary,
Sorry to hear about your problem, but like my uncle used to say "When your number is up, it's up.", and your's isn't yet. If it's ok with you and your loved ones then go ahead and ride. If you're no longer comfortable on a bike, why not consider a trike? I met a guy who rode one because he had an intermittent middle ear problem. He still enjoyed riding. His trike was a converted Goldwing, and there are a bunch of others out there. I've heard the one made by Piaggio handles similar to a motorcycle. Just a thought, hope to meet you on the road somewhere, sometime.:)

OP
OP
Winged_STer

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #

But I am now a cheap *****y date! Really does give me a very short fuse.

Top Bottom