Tank Bar?

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
This might save me tearing it all apart just for the sake of curiosity!

Anyone know the reason for this Bar thing set just below the filler neck?

Tank bar.JPG

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
This might save me tearing it all apart just for the sake of curiosity!

Anyone know the reason for this Bar thing set just below the filler neck?

Tank bar.JPG
Could be something to do with stopping the wrong size fuel nozzle fitting into the tank when refilling with petrol.

Bike
2010 ST1300
How do you propose to tear it apart in a way that you can replace it? Or do you have a damaged tank you can cut apart?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It’s the fuel level indicator.
On another note, do NOT fill your tank up from the right side, and jam the fuel nozzle in underneath this bar and let go! It will bend the bar upwards like a small triangle, which will catch and grab the lock of the cap and FOREVER seal your tank.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I thought it was a tube and part of the drainage mechanism of that area seen surrounding the tank opening in @Mr.E 's picture. Maybe not?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
On another note, do NOT fill your tank up from the right side, and jam the fuel nozzle in underneath this bar and let go! It will bend the bar upwards like a small triangle, which will catch and grab the lock of the cap and FOREVER seal your tank.
Have a step bit, drill and a cork? No problem :)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I thought it was a tube and part of the drainage mechanism of that area seen surrounding the tank opening in @Mr.E 's picture. Maybe not?
The hole that you see at the 1 O'Clock position in the photo is the drain for the area around the filler neck. It is a metal tube that goes through the fuel tank and exits at the bottom where it connects to a rubber hose that leads down to below the crankcase.

The horizontal metal bar is simply the fuel tank fill level indicator.

Bike
04 ST1300
Just curious to know. What will happen if the fuel is filled above this bar all the way to the lower end of the filler neck?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Some claim that there is a risk of liquid fuel being forced in to the hose that leads to the charcoal fuel evaporative canister which can then makes it way to the canister. Getting liquid fuel in to the canister is not supposed to be good for it and might damage it.

With a 29 litre (7.7 US gallons) fuel tank, I never really saw the need to cram in those last few ounces of fuel and worry about whether or not thare are any negative effects.
Fill to the bar and go ride.

Bike
04 ST1300
Not to belabor the point. I don't believe anyone has actually filled more than 7.4 US gallons after they ran out of fuel including YT (7.3). The tank capacity is 7.7 US gallons but useable fuel is around 7.3 US gallons.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
If I'm heading out, I'll top up as much as I can fit with wiggling, but stop sooner if I'll be parking shortly.

I've thought about carrying gas and running my ST dry, just to see how far I can really go on one tankful.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I've thought about carrying gas and running my ST dry, just to see how far I can really go on one tankful.
Hard on the pump, especially since it's liquid (gas) cooled, but I'd like to know too. Guess the variable is how much you twist the wrist as to the mileage you get.

Bike
04 ST1300
If I'm heading out, I'll top up as much as I can fit with wiggling, but stop sooner if I'll be parking shortly.
I do the same. I have gone about 332 on the ST1300 on a full tank (Meaning gas was filled above the bar mentioned in this thread). But does anyone else think that if the gas is filled above the bar, up to the filler neck, it will go into the fuel cannister. See post #10

OP
OP
Mr.E

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
How do you propose to tear it apart in a way that you can replace it? Or do you have a damaged tank you can cut apart?
Unsure if it all comes apart when you undo the ring of Allen bolts around the filler cap.... tank isn't damaged.

Thanks Larry, will keep your tip in mind next time filling up.

Thanks to all others with their input. :thumb:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I do the same. I have gone about 332 on the ST1300 on a full tank (Meaning gas was filled above the bar mentioned in this thread). But does anyone else think that if the gas is filled above the bar, up to the filler neck, it will go into the fuel cannister. See post #10
If you live in a hot area, yes, it can and will swamp your charcoal canister and damage it.
Most folks don’t care, or don’t know, but for some folks who need to have their bikes inspected or smogged, those canisters are stupid expensive to replace.

Bike
04 ST1300
If you live in a hot area, yes, it can and will swamp your charcoal canister and damage it.
Most folks don’t care, or don’t know, but for some folks who need to have their bikes inspected or smogged, those canisters are stupid expensive to replace.
I live in IL. It does get warm every now and then. However, no bike inspections. Does a damaged charcoal canister affect bike performance.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Since it's lined up the the bottom of the fuel filler neck, I'm assuming it's an easier way to visually see the maximum level you can fill the upper tank to.
This is what I use it for but have no idea as to what Honda engineers had in mind when designing the tank. So I'm comfortable leaving it at that.

Top Bottom