Tank dent

Bike
All of them !
STOC #
One of my bikes tipped over and put a golf ball size dent about 1/4 inch deep in my 2005 ST's tank. I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed on getting this repaired. Thanks.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
That depends on how big is the purse and if it can be repaired. I dented my VFR tank and it isn’t creased but not a nice visual. Repairable almost the cost of a new tank (not painted). Post a pic of the damage. Might look into getting a salvaged one and paint it if yours is not repairable. I can relate - garage spills and grand kids can be a curse

OP
OP
delta st
Bike
All of them !
STOC #
If the paint hasnt broke/cracked, try looking up someone in your area that does paintless dent repair. Most car dealerships can point you to one. They use those guys all the time
Bare metal showing in part of the. dent. I post a pic in a while. Thanks.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If the paint hasnt broke/cracked, try looking up someone in your area that does paintless dent repair. Most car dealerships can point you to one. They use those guys all the time
Friend of mine runs a "service station" (car window replacement & body shop) and utilizes like a glue-gun attachment and a sliding hammer on smaller dents...
Works fine on car fenders, hoods and roofs... dunno about effectiveness on motorcycle tanks since they're made of thicker metal...

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
just put a lit M-80 in the tank; leave the gas cap open so it doesn't over pressure; then run like hell...
o_O:rofl1:

kidding...don't try this at home.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Last summer I had a Guzzi tank painted. Solid stock color, two stripes on each side. Cost was $800. He took my tank down to bare metal, it needed no bondo for dents but I believe the original tank's first coat of paint was very thick - probably to give a smooth base coat. Based on prices I got up here in NE Ohio, that was a very good price. Before you jump for another tank with the usual unknowns (interior rust?) price a paint and bondo job on your tank.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Once, on a 1978 BMW R100S I owned, I got a similar ( though larger) dent. Being pretty poor at the time, I went out to Wal-Mart, and bought a Ding King. It had a small hot glue gun, a puller, and some hot glue sticks. The idea is that you "glue" a pad with a stud on it to the center ( or edge of a larger dent) of the dent, and use the puller to pull it out. It worked pretty darn well! Might be worth a try if you are so inclined.

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Suppose the paint isn't scratched. You probably could go to a Dent Repair they can use a paintless repair tool on the tank. Tips.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bare metal showing in part of the. dent. I post a pic in a while. Thanks.
So repainting is definitely an issue. "Patching" paint i.e. spot repainting is probably more art than science. But dentless repair might work if the metal isn't too "stretched".

When someone pushed in part of my car's front fender I acquiesced to allowing a dentless repair guy try to mend it. But if I didn't absolutely like the results it would go to body and fender people all on his dime.

It was a miracle. It's impossible to tell where the dent was except for the factory paint being flatter where transfer was buffed off. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it possible. 10 maybe 12 years later is still looks great. But the guy said when the metal is stretched too much there's no way to put toothpaste back in the tube.

Good luck with your repair.

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
There are a couple of 05 tanks on ebay......"advertised" without scratches or dents or rust...... for less than 300 delivered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom