Tank Pads - What do you use and what works best for the price?

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
My shortness (29" inseam) has me riding the tank a bit and I can see rub marks starting after only 500 miles. I may end up with helibars to push me back a bit but either way I think I need to protect the tank before I mark it all up. Thoughts?

It doesn't look like your bike has the kneepads on the tank that come stock. You could get a set of those to stick on and Honda also has a tankpad for the "belt buckle" area. Another option is a tank bra. Still another option is 3M Clear Protector Shield.
I have the kneepads and tank pad with a little 3M stuff as well.

I like the looks of, and have a Mag-Knight magnetic carbon-fiber look tank bra on my bike

MK194CAR_closeup.jpg

After a couple of years of use, though, it's starting to show some scuffing where my knees grip the tank.

I like the looks of, and have a Mag-Knight magnetic carbon-fiber look tank bra on my bike

MK194CAR_closeup.jpg

After a couple of years of use, though, it's starting to show some scuffing where my knees grip the tank.

I used a Mag-Knight on my 2005 ST, loved it... But there is a new game in town since then... Tech-Spec... I have their kit on my C14... great for grabbing the tank with your knees when ridding the twisties ;)

http://www.techspec-usa.com/products/st_honda.html

+1. I think the carbon fiber look is a good complement with the waffle pattern Sargent seat I have. It may be showing slight wear after 6 years of use, but it really isn't noticeable unless you are looking hard.

I found this from Grainger.com and carefully made my own tank pads. They look nice. Total cost with shipping was $28.00 and I have plenty of material remaining for other scratch protectors.

TXD2 Rubber, Buna-N, 1/16 In Thick, 12 x 24 In

I just paid $120 CDN for a center tank pad. Original honda version, new, that I found on e bay in Michigan. Someone check my head out???? My ST1300 has the OEM honda side tank pads but had no center pad. It must have been a weak moment, $120 for a sticker?!?!?!? My wife told me to buy it, "it's your baby, it brings you such happiness". She's a keeper.

My shortness (29" inseam) has me riding the tank a bit and I can see rub marks starting after only 500 miles. I may end up with helibars to push me back a bit but either way I think I need to protect the tank before I mark it all up. Thoughts?
A handlebar riser (helibar or used MCL or others) will give you a more upright riding position and take some weight off your arms and shoulders*. I, too am vertically challenged and it made my ST a much more comfortable ride.

*This weight is normally offset by the wind blast on a bike with a smaller windshield. Alas, the wind protection afforded by our ST's equals no support for your upper body.

Go to Home Depot and look in the garage door / window section. They make some static cling film that just goes on with soapy water.
You can use clear if you don't want it to show, or use tinted if you want smoked or black sections.
I use it on the top in front of the gas cap and on both sides (tank bag / knees) I've been using it for many years.
You can peel it off anytime you want, wash it if you want, and re-apply it when ever you want.
Its cheap, about $10 bucks for a huge roll (enough to do about 12 garage door windows).
It can also be applied to the tops of the bags to stop scuff marks.
I've also cut and trimmed pieces for all white bikes, that turn them into black and white police looking bikes :doh1:
Much cheaper than paint, and more protection.

Back
Top Bottom