Tell us your feelings and experience with Avon Storms on your ST1300

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
I have them on my 04 right now, and I'm not sure I like them.

When I got them the rear was improperly labeled, the sticker said it was the right size, the sidewall was 180/55 ZR17. I searched high and low, no one had another one of the right size so I had to install the 180.

This past summer running them out to Vancouver Island and then to Westoc, I just didn't like the way the bike felt. They tend to give the bike a wandering almost loose feel riding loaded and solo.

They stick very well in the turns but I felt like the bike wanted to fall into the turns and then when leaned over to the extreme sometimes it felt like it wanted to stand back up very quickly from the edge of the rear tire.

The handling has thrown me to the point where I think I'm just gonna switch back to the BT020F s in the proper size.

I just could not get comfortable and ride the twistys as I could before.

Your thoughts ??

Hi, I have had Avon storms on my ST1300 for about 8 months and done almost 7000 miles on them and found non of the problems you mention.
Why don't you try the correct rear tyre size it may make the difference, Also what pressure are you running at I run mine at 42 psi

Dave

OP
OP
Blue One

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Hi, I have had Avon storms on my ST1300 for about 8 months and done almost 7000 miles on them and found non of the problems you mention.
Why don't you try the correct rear tyre size it may make the difference, Also what pressure are you running at I run mine at 42 psi

Dave
42 psi front and rear. The 180 could be the issue, not sure.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I would recommend trying the 170 before completely making up your mind in regards to the Avons. With such a short sidewall (60-70) on the tires, they don't allow much overlapping of the the rim when putting a wider tire on. Since the width of the rim stays the same, the extra rubber is forced outward at the center giving you an even taller tire and changing the profile slightly. The change in profile (steeper) can give you the feeling of the bike falling over in the turns. Because the center is pushed out further, it also creates a smaller contact patch on the ground in straight-aways which would give the bike a "wandering" sensation.

Tailgunner

R.I.P. - 2012/05/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I'm not much help as I just had them installed, about 200 miles thus far. So far I like them a lot more than the stock tires on my '07.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If you have the wrong size tire on, how can you expect anyone with the right size tire to give you comparable feedback?

Get the right size tire or start buying the wrong size of every other brand to compare?!?!

Bike
2007 ST1300
I really liked Avon Storms on my old bike (BMW R1100RT), so naturally when I got my new bike ('03 ST1300), I went with them again. I've always been very happy with the cornering on them; they seem to have really good grip. But lately, I've noticed in corners the bike leans over very easily, but I almost have to force it back upright to pull out of the lean. It is possible that that is due to low tire pressure (I have a slow leak in my rear tire that I haven't been able to get fixed yet), but it's not very much below what it should be. I've only got 4k miles on them, so I doubt it's from them wearing funny. Still haven't figured out what's causing it, but it sure is annoying! I used to really enjoy cornering (I used to scrape pegs on my old bike); now it's almost something I don't want to do...sure is frustrating! So all that to say; that's my experience with the Avons on my ST. Once I get the slow leak fixed hopefully it will improve (the leak is very slow; usually it loses about 10 PSI in around a week).

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I've had two rear and one front on my 05 for about 20k miles and had no problems with them. I'm not a brand loyalist as some, so I have had Dunlaps. Avons, Bridgestones, Metzlers (I currently have 59k miles on the bike). I have found that they all have worked fine. For me I would recommend them - I did run slightly lower pressure on the front 38 psi, and they lasted a long time

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Personally I love the Storms. I haven't a reason to try anything else in about 48,000 miles. They have accurate and quick turn-in, they are stable in turns, exhibit high levels of grip on wet or dry pavement and they wear very symmetrically with little cupping. The road hazard replacement warranty is gravy. Previous I tried 020's, Z6's, and the original Pilot Roads.

I haven't tried them in the wrong size so I can't comment on that.

Byron

STOC #
The 180 is designed for a 1" wider rim to the shape of the rear tire was changed when you mounted it to the ST. Try the correct size and see if you notice the difference.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My experience with the Avon Storms is that running at 38psi causes a noticable tendency to turn-in. Whenever I get that feeling, I check the pressure -- sure enough, it is low. Inflating back up to 42psi cures the problem immediately, and they run very neutral in the turns.

My fronts easily go 10,000+ miles, but the rears can't last that long, especially if I am carrying a heavy pack behind me.

Avons on front also work well with RoadSmarts on the rear.

Bike
ST1300 '06
STOC #
I love the Storms! Grip like a vice and are great in the rain. Confidence inspiring! Two rears and one front in 18k. Want to find something that would run longer and put on a set of PR2s, wished I hadn't. Regardless, I will probably go with the plan and try some Roadsmarts next, and then maybe try the new Pirelli Angel ST before I get another set of Storms. So far I have tried, on the ST, 020s, 021s, Storms and PR2s. The Storms are by far the front runners!
:CanFlag1:
:06biker:

OP
OP
Blue One

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
If you have the wrong size tire on, how can you expect anyone with the right size tire to give you comparable feedback?

Get the right size tire or start buying the wrong size of every other brand to compare?!?!
Rob, are you the king of snippy answers ? Maybe so.

I was looking for constructive feedback, opinions and ideas. Getting them for the most part.

When I ordered the tires, I ordered them a month in advance. Had them sitting in the garage and had no idea the shop had given me a wrongly labeled tire.

When it came time to install them I had the wheels off the bike and dropped them and the tires off at the shop to have them installed.

Got a call from the shop saying the tire was the wrong size.

I called frantically all over the province of Alberta looking for a correctly sized tire. No one had one, the best availability was a week.

Since we were leaving in 2 days for a long road trip I came on the forum and researched if it would in fact fit. It seems some guys have fitted the size and they do fit.

So being in a bind I had it installed.

The bike has not felt right in the handling dept. But since I had the $ invested I decided to wear it out.

Now that I have done so I'll order a properly sized Storm and try that.

Thanks for all the good feedback. I'll just try to ignore the sarcasm that seems usual from one source.

Larry

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I really liked Avon Storms on my old bike (BMW R1100RT), so naturally when I got my new bike ('03 ST1300), I went with them again. I've always been very happy with the cornering on them; they seem to have really good grip. But lately, I've noticed in corners the bike leans over very easily, but I almost have to force it back upright to pull out of the lean. It is possible that that is due to low tire pressure (I have a slow leak in my rear tire that I haven't been able to get fixed yet), but it's not very much below what it should be. I've only got 4k miles on them, so I doubt it's from them wearing funny. Still haven't figured out what's causing it, but it sure is annoying! I used to really enjoy cornering (I used to scrape pegs on my old bike); now it's almost something I don't want to do...sure is frustrating! So all that to say; that's my experience with the Avons on my ST. Once I get the slow leak fixed hopefully it will improve (the leak is very slow; usually it loses about 10 PSI in around a week).
First thing to do is change the valve stem core... perhaps been in and out too many times and overtightened once or twice.... easy and cheap, try it first, then check for a leak there with soapy water. Flex the whole valve stem too to see if there's a leak at the base where it joins the wheel.
If that's not it, then put soapy water all around the rim on both sides.... check the tire carefully for a nail, etc.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Rob, are you the king of snippy answers ? Maybe so.
Yeah, you'd never do that....

Thanks for all the good feedback. I'll just try to ignore the sarcasm that seems usual from one source.
Two snips, one post...nice!

Try using the search feature, I mean you might not know that being new and all.

OP
OP
Blue One

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Since I have worn out the 180, I have ordered a 170/60 ZR 17 and will try that till the front is worn out too.

I believe you are right and it should make a big difference.

Larry.

Top Bottom