Terry 'ACL' Hammond (11/19/2010)

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Terry never wanted credit for anything. I think the best way to honor him is to just try and be the best human being you can. And if you only get take one ride or ten rides this summer, when your at some peaceful place that just makes you smile. Look up and tip your soda of choice his way.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
While at Moonshine and also throughout various threads on this site I have run across riders who have said that they wished that they could have met Terry. Unfortunately I cannot turn back time but I can provide a couple of items that you might enjoy.

Early in January while working on a small project for TLC I discovered that I still had two voice mail messages from Terry on my phones in-box that I hadn't deleted. I managed to record them and thought that you might also like to listen to them.

The first one he sent to me on August 11th which was the Wednesday before the Post Moonshine Run which was held on the 14th. Although I made most of the post Moonshine runs that were held, I generally would not commit to going down there till usually the last minute and this time was no different. I think this message shows off Terry's border collie instincts and the way he was always looking after people.

Here is the link to Voicemail 1

Note: I've got the files stored at a site called Let's Crate. They offer free file storage but with limited access unless you wish to pay. I would appreciate it if you right click on the link and save the file for download ('Save Target as' on IE8). That way you will be able to play it as much as you like and I'll be able to get more people access to the files. Thanks!

The second voicemail that Terry sent was two days later. It shows off his zany character as you will find out. The only background information that I can give you on this one is that I had mentioned to him a week before that I was thinking of going out to play a round of golf sometime soon.

Link to Voicemail 2

The last item I wish to post some of you might have already downloaded. It was the recording of the song that Terry sang at his church last summer that was then played back at his funeral service. Tim Yow and a friend was able to get the cassette recording and transfer it into an mp3 recording.

Unfortunately, the quality of the original recording left a little to be desired and I thought that I could improve upon it using some of the better audio editing software that is now available. My main goals were to eliminate the 1.5 second gap that occurs toward the end of the song and to reduce the hiss from the recording.

Here's the link to I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked.

Enjoy!

~

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Great job Scott! That's a nice touch. Now I know what TLC meant when she said you set her up to be able to hear Terry's voice anytime she wants.

I asked Scott if he minded me posting those clips on my site. He gave me permission and they can be found on the link below at the bottom of the page. (I think my site allows unlimited access.)

Terry's Memorial

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, I was at the barber shop this morning, and while waiting I picked up the July 2011 issue of Rider. As I was flipping through the pages, I came across an article on Terry. At first glance, I thought it was about the "Moonshine Run". I started reading the article and very quickly my heart sank. Instantly, I felt as if I had lost a friend. I felt guilty for not knowing. I have been away from motorcycles for about three years now, and very rarely check the boards anymore.

I first got to know Terry, back around the spring of 2003, when I bought my first Concours. "ACL" was a regular on the Connie board and was like your favorite Uncle. I always enjoyed "talking" to him about life, sports, and of course...motorcycling. I remember going to one of the Moonshine events, I believe it was the 2nd one, and finally getting to meet Terry. What a character...a unique man! He called me "Buckeye" and we spent several minutes talking about the V-Strom 650 I rode in on. We joked about his nickname, "two wrecks" and his love of little debbies.

Terry represents what I love about the motorcycling hobby. He was kind, willing, genuine, and friendly. He never met a stranger and was always in a good mood...a true "Gentleman".

Rest in Peace ACL...

Bike
99 ST1100
Terry represents what I love about the motorcycling hobby. He was kind, willing, genuine, and friendly. He never met a stranger and was always in a good mood...a true "Gentleman".
That's about as good a description of Terry as you could find...

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Before heading out to DinkieSToc on Friday I decided to drive down to Moonshine to pick up a burger since it only added a couple of hours to my trip. On the way down I swung past the farm (nobody there, sisters were due in the following day and the farmers were out harvesting) and on to Bean cemetery to pay my respects. After getting off of my bike I looked out across the cemetery and could see a new addition to the area so I walked over to the site and this is what I found...

This is the view from the front:

Terry's monument - front.jpg

From the rear:

Terry's monument - rear.jpg

Moonshine sticker is now in stone... nice coloring:

Terry's monument - logo.jpg

I told Rick this photo that he took will outlast all of his others:

Terry's monument - image.jpg

Closeup of front of monument:

Terry's monument - tractor.jpg

I had noticed at the Moonshine event back in April that someone had left a small toy tractor on his monument similar to the one on his Dad's stone. I thought that he could use another one so I dropped this one off:

Terry's monument - toy.jpg

(short story: I had dug that Matchbox out of a box of Quisp cereal sometime back in the late 1960s. I figured that it could use a new home...)

Got another surprise while I was at Moonshine when Cindy and Mitch showed up about 5 minutes after I did. It was great to be able to sit down with the both of them and catch up a little bit with what has been going on with their lives. She mentioned that the monument had just been placed the day before. Talk about good timing...

Re: Terry 'ACL' Hammond (11/19/2010)

Thank You Scott, for sharing those great photos for those of us who could never ride that gravel road to get there!

(Oh the fine lines that weave our lives together,,, Quisp was my favorite cereal.... my brother liked Quake.)

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

That's gotta be the prettiest stone I have ever seen. Good work on the pictures, Scott!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

That is a beautiful stone, and I've seen more than most since my dad had an academic interest in old New England graveyards and as a kid I got dragged around to more than I can remember. Terry's stone is a wonderful celebration of his approach to life. Carpe diem, friends!

(Scooter, I have the identical Honda and trailer Matchbox on a shelf in my office, being hauled by a Ferrari Berlinetta with right hand drive...I like it more than ever now!)

Bike
None
STOC #

Unbelievable! :hat4:

Thanks for sharing Terry's head stone, quite beautiful and touching. I didn't know Terry well, but he sure touched my heart in a hurry and I believe many folks feel the same! We miss you Terry!!! Sigh...

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #

Thank You Scott, for sharing those great photos!!

Thanks Scott

Timing is everything and this time yours was right on, I now have a little bit better understanding of what closure means, at least for me, thanks again.

Top Bottom