Test ride...Harley?

OP
OP
Bike
ST-1300
Now that would look odd....a chrome fitted HD button on my ST. Maybe I should get one with an HD, another with the BMW prop circle emblem, another with the Honda Wing Emblem....What should the 4rth be?

OP
OP
Bike
ST-1300
LMAO! That's got a bit of opinion in it. I guess that's what happens when threads spin out of control! There just might be an insult on that site somewhere.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Harley knows full well their bikes are not as fast or as modern as others. They went to Porsche to design a water cooled more powerful v twin bike, they built it to handle better etc. Weird thing is its the worst selling model Harley has. Some folks have no desire to hit the mountains at excessive speed. To tell you the truth I bought my first HD for exactly that reason. I owned a 80 CB750F, with a few mods. I found myself cruising residential streets at 70 and 80. Highway speeds way above 55. I had a few really close calls. I knew I had to make a change to stay alive. Now here I am back on a Honda and find myself pushing that speed limit and doing 15 to 20 over a little too often. Hopefully I can reel myself back in, if not I will have to get a Wing and slow down a bit...

People buy Buicks while there are Accords available.

People buy beach bikes while there are Trek's available.

People buy Harley's while there are all manner of "other" choices.

*shrug*

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
People buy Buicks while there are Accords available.

People buy beach bikes while there are Trek's available.

People buy Harley's while there are all manner of "other" choices.

*shrug*
People use the rest of the Internet when there is ST-Owners.com...

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
As for stereotypes.

I believe I explained that I am not against Harley. Most of the comments that were described in my story were actually said by the owner of the Harley before I had anything to say about it. They aren't negative comments. Just comments about the "differences".

As for the chrome....I didn't realize there was chrome allen bolt cap inserts. I bought mine used and they put a riser on it, so the caps must be gone. Nevertheless, I'd love to talk about polishing my non-existent caps.

The HD rider that was kind enough to let me ride his bike (it must have been expensive) was a really great guy. He was nice and didn't feel the need to talk negative or impose his "ride" on me and simply explained the "differences" between many different bikes. It was his generosity that enabled me to even provide my experience and limited comparative analysis, that he helped support! So PLEASE don't lump me in the crowd of player-haters!

I would also agree that most ST'ers fit a stereotype of being engineer-like-geeks. And that's okay too. I promise that should I ever intend to insult anybody, it won't be subtle. :)
Yep, my son says I am a "Techno Geek" just like all the other ST and BMW riders. And he does have a point. We (ST'ers) do resemble one another. Mostly middle aged guys with a 'stitch, farkels galore and identical looking bikes. Kinda like cruiser guys, mostly middle aged guys with a leather vest & doo-rag, lots of chrome and all their bikes look the same too!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Yep, my son says I am a "Techno Geek" just like all the other ST and BMW riders. And he does have a point. We (ST'ers) do resemble one another. Mostly middle aged guys with a 'stitch, farkels galore and identical looking bikes. Kinda like cruiser guys, mostly middle aged guys with a leather vest & doo-rag, lots of chrome and all their bikes look the same too!
Middle aged? :shock:

Hey,

I resemble that remark.......

I love my ST and I also have a smallish cruiser. A Honda Shadow 750. It's totally stock (quiet pipes), no windshield and is very fun to ride on shorter day trips. I would never take it on any journey that I've had on the ST's. But they do have their rightful place in our wonderful motorcycle world.
A few weeks ago I was pulled over at a rest stop and a gentleman pulled up along side me on his brand new Harley Road King. Shiny black and chrome. It was pretty and this 70 yr old guy had just picked it up at the dealer. He had a grin as wide as a river. Turns out he's had a bunch of Harleys as far back as the 60's when he was a motorcycle cop. He knew what he was doing, and he loved his bike. I got a new appreciation for Harleys right there at that moment.
Two wheels, internal combustion. what else do you need?
John

Top Bottom