Test rode a BMW K1600 and K1200 today...

It was a new K16, the grand America. Before I rode it the dealer mentioned I wouldn’t be able to actually buy one because of the recall. They are taking deposits on them though.

Really enjoying reading people’s perspectives on the BMW bikes, and as suspected an hour riding them doesn’t do them justice. There’s clearly enough of them on the road that they must be good fits for a lot of people. :)

It’s sad to me that getting a Goldwing test ride is near to impossible here ( compared to the complete ease of the BMW experience ), and maybe that’s partly why we see so many BMWs on the roads.

Thanks again everyone for the insights, fun reading after my test rides.
That’s one of reasons I went with BMW is because of the dealer in my area. Test rides at anytime. The owner, salesmen, parts & service people ALWAYS make it a point to say Hi and shake my hand. I have been to other BMW dealers they are the same. The Honda & other make dealers are like.... ya what do you want ? It’s like it’s a chore to wait on you. Can’t comment on H-D as it’s been a long time since I was in one of dealerships but I hear they also accommodating.

Bike
2000 ST1100
That’s one of reasons I went with BMW is because of the dealer in my area. Test rides at anytime. The owner, salesmen, parts & service people ALWAYS make it a point to say Hi and shake my hand. I have been to other BMW dealers they are the same. The Honda & other make dealers are like.... ya what do you want ? It’s like it’s a chore to wait on you. Can’t comment on H-D as it’s been a long time since I was in one of dealerships but I hear they also accommodating.
Is your dealer Gateway?

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
A different bike will always feel strange the first few weeks. Strange doesn't mean bad here - just different. The strangeness will disappear and become the new norm. Of course there can be issues that don't go away (e.g. a vibrating windshield) and such things can be true showstoppers. Because of this, I would not put too much into a brief test ride. When I moved from my ST to my FJR it felt a little strange initially. I felt like I was sitting on top of a motorcycle, where on the ST I felt more "integrated" with the bike. The FJR engine also felt like it was spinning at much higher RPMs (felt stressed) where it in fact spins at a lower RPM. It must be the V4 vs. the inline-4 engine sound and vibration that caused this illusion. Today I never even think about these issues any longer. I love the FJR sound and the way I sit when I zip through the twisties. I went back to the ST it would probably feel strange...for a few weeks

Bike
2000 ST1100
I bought a k75 a couple of years ago, before that just airheads in the BMW family. I thought the k75 was too smooth and almost "soulless" riding it, but it's just a different feel and now i like it, but I'm still going to get another airhead, because I suppose they're my all time favorite motorbikes, always have been.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Congrats on your K75.
I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a low mileage K75.
Put over 180K on the K100LT and heard the 'soulless' comments from many writers.
The fact is the the 'flying brick' is an excellent ride.
Yes, a great motorcycle. I always wanted to try one and when mine came up fairly close to me and with only 3100 original miles i figured my chance. I replaced the original date code (1992) tires and did basic maintenance and now just stick a key in it and ride.
K75-015.jpg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yes, a great motorcycle. I always wanted to try one and when mine came up fairly close to me and with only 3100 original miles i figured my chance. I replaced the original date code (1992) tires and did basic maintenance and now just stick a key in it and ride.
K75-015.jpg
Wow, that's a really nice looking beemer!

Bike
2000 ST1100
Congrats on your K75.
I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a low mileage K75.
Put over 180K on the K100LT and heard the 'soulless' comments from many writers.
The fact is the the 'flying brick' is an excellent ride.
Any motorcycle that stirs ones soul.......has soul. And don't let anyone tell you no diffrent;).

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I moved from a ST to a K1600GTL. The bike does steer differently because you are going from forks to a Duolever front suspension. When I first rode it I also felt like the bike didn't want to turn. I took me about a year to get use to it, but now I can lean in further than I did with the ST. The bikes are very different. I still have my ST, but also love my GTL.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
When I first rode it I also felt like the bike didn't want to turn. I took me about a year to get use to it, but now I can lean in further than I did with the ST.
I had the same issue when I first got my '01 ST1100. As I weigh more than the PO, I raised the rear suspension about 1/2" at the shock, which probably translates to around 3/4" at the axle. The handling improvement was immediate and profound, made even better with new tires a few months later.

The bike had resisted leaning in response to counter-steering torque, requiring a greater effort that made small adjustments difficult. The ST now leans over and straightens up with little effort, resulting in more confidant control and gives that much-lighter-at-speed feeling the STs are known for.

Bike
ST 1300
#46 · 16 m ago

Had a ST1300 for years and felt at home with it touring Europe lots of times. but it was getting old and no new models about and I have old legs for reversing in car parks and lanes.
Got a 17 K1600 GT recently with reverse and I am taking a while to adapt.
Engine sounds as if it is overreving in every gear.
Foot pegs are right where I would stand.
Fly by wire throttle is a nightmare and I keep stalling it as it has no feel as with old school cables.
Top box cannot be removed on overnight trips so attracting theft.
Feels top heavy when moving in garage.
Then reading on k1600 forum all the mechanical, expensive problems.
Think I might be selling mine and finding a mint newish low mile ST1300 again and be happy !
Edit
20/6/23
Sold a k1600 gt,
I felt nervous on it where ever i went, just never took to it , felt it was just too much .
Tested out a Triumph xrx 800 but seemed ugly.
So back to a Mint ST1300 again , all is good now.

I know of a 2005 ST with only 5k miles , it keeps stopping after 10 minutes or so.
The old chap who has it has tried most things including new fuel pump, but it still keeps breaking down.
I will see if he wants to sell it as a hobby job.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
#46 · 16 m ago

Had a ST1300 for years and felt at home with it touring Europe lots of times. but it was getting old and no new models about and I have old legs for reversing in car parks and lanes.
Got a 17 K1600 GT recently with reverse and I am taking a while to adapt.
Engine sounds as if it is overreving in every gear.
Foot pegs are right where I would stand.
Fly by wire throttle is a nightmare and I keep stalling it as it has no feel as with old school cables.
Top box cannot be removed on overnight trips so attracting theft.
Feels top heavy when moving in garage.
Then reading on k1600 forum all the mechanical, expensive problems.
Think I might be selling mine and finding a mint newish low mile ST1300 again and be happy !
Have you tried an RT? It has the sportiness of the ST1300 but does not feel top heavy at all. Probably because your wallet is empty lol!!!!... (I'm laughing and crying)

Interesting. After a back injury, I am thinking about getting rid of my 2003 ST1300 and my Ninja 1000ABS for a newer single bike. I had considered the K1600 as I have seen a few and liked the look. I will have to take it for a ride to see if I feel the same way. I really have no clue what to replace my ST with. Maybe a newer ST. LOL

Thanks, for sharing your experience.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Interesting. After a back injury, I am thinking about getting rid of my 2003 ST1300 and my Ninja 1000ABS for a newer single bike. I had considered the K1600 as I have seen a few and liked the look. I will have to take it for a ride to see if I feel the same way. I really have no clue what to replace my ST with. Maybe a newer ST. LOL

Thanks, for sharing your experience.
Had major back surgery and needed to move off the ST. Went with a Versys 1000 and my back has been very pleased with the transition.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I posted a similar response to @joner7777 on the K1600 site as well, but the gist of my thoughts on the subject are below. I came off an ST 1300 as my previous touring bike and I liked it a lot. Now with a full year into my life with the K1600 GTL, I can honestly say that I have never owned such a satisfying machine. I absolutely could not imagine another touring bike. But there are still a handful of good choices out there for touring bikes, and none of them would be a bad decision.

Specifically with regard to the K1600...

Engine sounds as if it is over revving in every gear. The ST's V-4 and the in-line 6 cylinder engine of the K bike are very different beasts and the 6 is going to spin much more easily than the ST's v-4. It is just getting into its happy zone then. :)

Foot pegs are right where I would stand. My GTL doesn't seem to suffer from this issue, but there is a difference in positioning with the GT.

Fly by wire throttle is a nightmare and I keep stalling it as it has no feel as with old school cables. Can't really argue this point but only mention that it will take some time to get used to. I found that the K1600 requires more RPM's to get it moving than the ST did. I did my share of stalling it early on as well. One of my solutions was to install a set of Grip Puppies which aided with the finer control that I needed. It will get better to where you won't notice it.

Top box cannot be removed on overnight trips so attracting theft. This I don't understand and perhaps others can help out here, but the top box on my GTL is easily removable and I could bring it into a motel room at night if I wanted - I wouldn't, but I could if I wanted. Is the GT box different in that respect?

Feels top heavy when moving in garage. Absolutely no argument here. She is a heavy beast to grunt around the garage.

Then reading on the K1600 forum all the mechanical, expensive problems. I think you'll find the vast majority of K1600 owners (and any other BMW models) have no issues other than normal maintenance. With that said, a BMW will be more expensive once it gets into the shop than a Honda would. Nature of the beast.

Find what makes you happy. Life is too short.

Bike
St1300PA
A quiet Friday at work had me curious...are those big BMW bikes I see on the highway as amazing as I suspect they might be?

I swung by our local BMW dealership and had an absolutely wonderful, hassle free, test ride experience.

I was interested in looking at the K1600, within 10 minutes of arrival I was pulling out the parking lot on the K1600 having been told to bring it back in 40 minutes or so. I seriously couldn’t have asked for a better experience.

I had built the K1600 up in my mind and was truly excited to ride it. Somehow it didn’t quite live up to the hype I’d created for it. It was comfy, nice weather and wind protection, clearly more than enough well behaved power. On the downside, it felt like I was riding a bike with flat tires ( they weren’t ), and I felt like the brakes weren’t anywhere near as good as what I’m used to on the ST. I also found the ride by wire throttle made me feel disconnected from the bike, making it feel more “transportation” than “motorcycle”. Don’t get me wrong, I loved it, just not as much as I thought I would. One thing that blew my socks off, the quick shifter, truly amazing.

When I pulled back into the parking lot, they had a K1200 waiting for me and offered me a ride on that next. I hadn’t asked about the K1200 or even thought about it, but jumped at the chance to ride another bike.

The K1200 felt noticeably smaller in every way after the K1600. I liked it, but didn’t love it. It felt rough to me, the engine was like a coffee can full of marbles which when idling made the windshield and mirrors vibrate, a lot. I don’t have a ton to say about this bike ( I would clearly make an awful motorcycle journalist ), but nothing about it blew me away. I will say I felt more at home on it, likely because the size is more similar to my ST1300 than the K1600 was.

They had evaluated my ST1300 for a trade in value while I was out riding. For those who are curious, my 2003 ST1300 with 21000 miles, great condition, is worth $1900 to them. They pointed out that it needs new fork seals and brake pads all around, which would cost them $870 to fix, bring the trade in value down to $1000. The upside of this is I didn’t realise it needed any of that, so now I have some projects on my hands.

Again, I can’t say enough good things about the BMW dealer test ride experience here in San Jose, it was a dream and I was truly grateful to get to ride 2 bikes that I’ve been highly curious about.

If anyone has questions about these bikes I’ll be happy to answer based on my experience today.

Please bear in mind these are just my INITIAL thoughts based on a VERY limited amount of ride time.

Which bike did I like best?

Honestly, my ST1300.
A quiet Friday at work had me curious...are those big BMW bikes I see on the highway as amazing as I suspect they might be?

I swung by our local BMW dealership and had an absolutely wonderful, hassle free, test ride experience.

I was interested in looking at the K1600, within 10 minutes of arrival I was pulling out the parking lot on the K1600 having been told to bring it back in 40 minutes or so. I seriously couldn’t have asked for a better experience.

I had built the K1600 up in my mind and was truly excited to ride it. Somehow it didn’t quite live up to the hype I’d created for it. It was comfy, nice weather and wind protection, clearly more than enough well behaved power. On the downside, it felt like I was riding a bike with flat tires ( they weren’t ), and I felt like the brakes weren’t anywhere near as good as what I’m used to on the ST. I also found the ride by wire throttle made me feel disconnected from the bike, making it feel more “transportation” than “motorcycle”. Don’t get me wrong, I loved it, just not as much as I thought I would. One thing that blew my socks off, the quick shifter, truly amazing.

When I pulled back into the parking lot, they had a K1200 waiting for me and offered me a ride on that next. I hadn’t asked about the K1200 or even thought about it, but jumped at the chance to ride another bike.

The K1200 felt noticeably smaller in every way after the K1600. I liked it, but didn’t love it. It felt rough to me, the engine was like a coffee can full of marbles which when idling made the windshield and mirrors vibrate, a lot. I don’t have a ton to say about this bike ( I would clearly make an awful motorcycle journalist ), but nothing about it blew me away. I will say I felt more at home on it, likely because the size is more similar to my ST1300 than the K1600 was.

They had evaluated my ST1300 for a trade in value while I was out riding. For those who are curious, my 2003 ST1300 with 21000 miles, great condition, is worth $1900 to them. They pointed out that it needs new fork seals and brake pads all around, which would cost them $870 to fix, bring the trade in value down to $1000. The upside of this is I didn’t realise it needed any of that, so now I have some projects on my hands.

Again, I can’t say enough good things about the BMW dealer test ride experience here in San Jose, it was a dream and I was truly grateful to get to ride 2 bikes that I’ve been highly curious about.

If anyone has questions about these bikes I’ll be happy to answer based on my experience today.

Please bear in mind these are just my INITIAL thoughts based on a VERY limited amount of ride time.

Which bike did I like best?

Honestly, my ST1300.
my st has the famous code 25 on it thinking even without the code the value is not to much, so I test rode a r1200rt after the test ride I drove 3 1/2 hours to Boston and picked up a 2017 st, an st is like your best girlfriend after you have one nothing else will do, and if Honda sold them with some farkles they probably would have sold a lot more of them.

Bike
ST 1300
I posted a similar response to @joner7777 on the K1600 site as well, but the gist of my thoughts on the subject are below. I came off an ST 1300 as my previous touring bike and I liked it a lot. Now with a full year into my life with the K1600 GTL, I can honestly say that I have never owned such a satisfying machine. I absolutely could not imagine another touring bike. But there are still a handful of good choices out there for touring bikes, and none of them would be a bad decision.

Specifically with regard to the K1600...

Engine sounds as if it is over revving in every gear. The ST's V-4 and the in-line 6 cylinder engine of the K bike are very different beasts and the 6 is going to spin much more easily than the ST's v-4. It is just getting into its happy zone then. :)

Foot pegs are right where I would stand. My GTL doesn't seem to suffer from this issue, but there is a difference in positioning with the GT.

Fly by wire throttle is a nightmare and I keep stalling it as it has no feel as with old school cables. Can't really argue this point but only mention that it will take some time to get used to. I found that the K1600 requires more RPM's to get it moving than the ST did. I did my share of stalling it early on as well. One of my solutions was to install a set of Grip Puppies which aided with the finer control that I needed. It will get better to where you won't notice it.

Top box cannot be removed on overnight trips so attracting theft. This I don't understand and perhaps others can help out here, but the top box on my GTL is easily removable and I could bring it into a motel room at night if I wanted - I wouldn't, but I could if I wanted. Is the GT box different in that respect?

Feels top heavy when moving in garage. Absolutely no argument here. She is a heavy beast to grunt around the garage.

Then reading on the K1600 forum all the mechanical, expensive problems. I think you'll find the vast majority of K1600 owners (and any other BMW models) have no issues other than normal maintenance. With that said, a BMW will be more expensive once it gets into the shop than a Honda would. Nature of the beast.

Find what makes you happy. Life is too short.
Found this old post , sold my K1600 gt and back to a ST1300 , nice low mileage red one , life is back to normal now !
I toured France with the K1600 for a week, never really took to it ,ok when on a motorway , but meet a tractor in a lane !! i would have needed a extra hand to move it.

The reverse gear was hit and miss , if there was the slightest incline or a small stone behind the wheel ,it would not move.

On the top box , i had to remove the rear seat , disconnect a socket , unscrew a catch in the box , then replace it all.
Last straw , a service indicator came up and only a dealer can kill it, £200 please , no , i service my own.
I`m a short arse , so really not ideal for me.

Found what makes me happy , a ST back again !

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
As I mentioned in my post - Find what makes you happy. Life is too short. Sounds like you have found that happiness! Ride on and enjoy my friend. :)

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Rode a ST1300 for 11 years. Rode a ST1100 for 10 years before that. I have now ridden a K1600 GTL for 4 years. Loved all of the bikes, but would never go back to the ST1300, just say'in.

Would buy a FJR1300ES if I sold the K1600.

Top Bottom