Test Rode an R18 Classic.

Bike
2010 ST1300
BMW hosted one of their test rides at one of our local dealers. I asked the staff guys what bike a vertically challenged guy could ride (29" inseam) and they pointed me to the 310. That bike looks like an insect and I was not interested. I tried one of the 1200's with a low seat, but it still felt talll and I was not comfortable taking out a new bike and dropping it (they cover any damage to the bike in that event).l One of the guys told me he too had a 29" inseam despite being almost 6' tall, and he suggested the R18 Classic with a windshield.

The bike had floor boards and heel toe shifting. For a bike with such a low center of gravity, it can be a bear to get upright off the center stand. Secret: Turn the handlebars to the far right and you can pick the bike up easily. Retracting that side stand, however took several tries for me. After starting the bike, you can almost feel those huge pistons slowly moving in and out. Rev the throttle and the bike lurches to the right. Let out the clutch and it moves off without hesitation, and like the 1300, the weight drops away. Accelerate in 1st and the smoothness drops away with the rpms, your butt will tell you to upshift. In fact, at certain rpms, the vibration is nearly intolerable - it hits the seat, not the handlebars, though I was fumbling at this point for the heel upshift lever and did not notice the mirrors. The Classic has no tach, and two of the three of us riding variations of the R18 missed shifts. I missed some up shifts until about half way through the ride. The shifter clearly needed to be adjusted. Overall, I did not like the riding position, ironically, I felt like I was sitting too low on the bike. This engine has gobs of torque and passing cars should be no problem at speed. In fact, were that excessive vibration not present, you could leave this in gear and ride all day without shifting.

I was disconcerted by the flywheel effect, especially on a long fast left hand sweeper. The line of bikes accelerated around this curve and the torque wanted to push the bike to the outside of the curve. I'm probably not describing this properly, but I was fighting the engine's torque effect. For such a huge machine, the bike certainly turned willingly, though I know I would be hard pressed to feel comfortable riding this at an STOC ride. Handling was what I would call neutral, the bike was stable in a straight line but took the turns with no drama - except for that flywheel effect. We were mostly on smooth roads in a south east suburb of Cleveland, and I have to describe the suspension as 'plush'. Bumps in the road yes, but no sharp shocks reached me. My 'yardstick' is riding over a RR crossing but we saw none. I'd call this a highway cruiser and would hate to take it on a trip on state and county roads where I might have to turn it around. It does have a reverse gear (starter motor), but the bike seemed like it would stretch from shoulder to shoulder (yes an exaggeration, but not by much) in such a situation.

The infotainment system was disabled. The bike has self cancelling turn signals. Storage in the panniers was surprisingly minimal, even the top box on another model would accommodate one helmet and not a lot else. The built in speakers (part of the sound system) robbed a lot of storage space. The windshield did not look to be adjustable, and the wind blast hit me right in the visor area. I had to ride with the visor closed despite wearing large sunglasses. The bike LOOKS great. It is certainly a tour de force for the type of bike that it is. It is simply not my cup of tea.

At the end of the ride I managed to find neutral (light tap on that heel shifter) but it took three tries to get the side stand all the way out.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
BMW hosted one of their test rides at one of our local dealers. I asked the staff guys what bike a vertically challenged guy could ride (29" inseam) and they pointed me to the 310. That bike looks like an insect and I was not interested. I tried one of the 1200's with a low seat, but it still felt talll and I was not comfortable taking out a new bike and dropping it (they cover any damage to the bike in that event).l One of the guys told me he too had a 29" inseam despite being almost 6' tall, and he suggested the R18 Classic with a windshield.

The bike had floor boards and heel toe shifting. For a bike with such a low center of gravity, it can be a bear to get upright off the center stand. Secret: Turn the handlebars to the far right and you can pick the bike up easily. Retracting that side stand, however took several tries for me. After starting the bike, you can almost feel those huge pistons slowly moving in and out. Rev the throttle and the bike lurches to the right. Let out the clutch and it moves off without hesitation, and like the 1300, the weight drops away. Accelerate in 1st and the smoothness drops away with the rpms, your butt will tell you to upshift. In fact, at certain rpms, the vibration is nearly intolerable - it hits the seat, not the handlebars, though I was fumbling at this point for the heel upshift lever and did not notice the mirrors. The Classic has no tach, and two of the three of us riding variations of the R18 missed shifts. I missed some up shifts until about half way through the ride. The shifter clearly needed to be adjusted. Overall, I did not like the riding position, ironically, I felt like I was sitting too low on the bike. This engine has gobs of torque and passing cars should be no problem at speed. In fact, were that excessive vibration not present, you could leave this in gear and ride all day without shifting.

I was disconcerted by the flywheel effect, especially on a long fast left hand sweeper. The line of bikes accelerated around this curve and the torque wanted to push the bike to the outside of the curve. I'm probably not describing this properly, but I was fighting the engine's torque effect. For such a huge machine, the bike certainly turned willingly, though I know I would be hard pressed to feel comfortable riding this at an STOC ride. Handling was what I would call neutral, the bike was stable in a straight line but took the turns with no drama - except for that flywheel effect. We were mostly on smooth roads in a south east suburb of Cleveland, and I have to describe the suspension as 'plush'. Bumps in the road yes, but no sharp shocks reached me. My 'yardstick' is riding over a RR crossing but we saw none. I'd call this a highway cruiser and would hate to take it on a trip on state and county roads where I might have to turn it around. It does have a reverse gear (starter motor), but the bike seemed like it would stretch from shoulder to shoulder (yes an exaggeration, but not by much) in such a situation.

The infotainment system was disabled. The bike has self cancelling turn signals. Storage in the panniers was surprisingly minimal, even the top box on another model would accommodate one helmet and not a lot else. The built in speakers (part of the sound system) robbed a lot of storage space. The windshield did not look to be adjustable, and the wind blast hit me right in the visor area. I had to ride with the visor closed despite wearing large sunglasses. The bike LOOKS great. It is certainly a tour de force for the type of bike that it is. It is simply not my cup of tea.

At the end of the ride I managed to find neutral (light tap on that heel shifter) but it took three tries to get the side stand all the way out.
.......the vibration is nearly intolerable .....really? compared to what?
You should've ridden one of the old 4 speed Harley's with a solid mounted engine :rofl1:
The whole bike would shake like a paint shaker, enough that it would blur your vision sitting at a stop sign ;)
Your review is interesting to read. Fumbling shifting, (have you ever used a heel toe shifter before?) No tach....why would a bike with gobs of torque need a tach?
Disconcerted by the flywheel effect? All Moto Guzzi's and BMW's do this (your just not used to it perhaps) Storage minimal (its a retro styled motorcycle).
I find it amusing that you find all these things as faults because they were not what you were used too, when die hard Guzzi or BMW owners purchases these bikes for these very reasons.
They call it soul or personality.
You should try riding a goose or BMW on a track, you have to time and plan when to get on, and get off the throttle, so your cylinder head does not ground out.
I guess I'm just way to old nowadays, as I don't think folks would know how to "tickle their carbs" (fuel running down the carb and onto their boot would probably scare folks nowadays).
Retarding the timing to start your bike, heaven for bid, learning to use a kick starter or a single with a decompression release etc.
Back in the day, you went riding IF/When your bike started :rofl1:
Watch some video's on starting an old Harley or Indian, prime, 3 kicks, choke, quarter turn throttle, hold your head just the right way with your tongue just the right, and pray :rofl1:
And you could bet a donut, the folks that were out riding everyday knew how to work on their bikes.
Your ST has just spoiled you, so stop lookin at other bikes and ride yours.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
All Moto Guzzi's and BMW's do this (your just not used to it perhaps) Storage minimal (its a retro styled motorcycle).
I find it amusing that you find all these things as faults because they were not what you were used too, when die hard Guzzi or BMW owners purchases these bikes for these very reasons.
They call it soul or personality.... And you could bet a donut, the folks that were out riding everyday knew how to work on their bikes.
Yes, Larry, my 1300 spoiled me. I started out on a Suzi X6, then aTriumph and never had a problem kick starting either. I've owned two Guzzi's and never found their habits onerous. However, spending big bux on a so called 'retro bike' that has modern amenities such as keyless ignition, self cancelling turn signals, superlative suspension and vibrates the fillings out of your teeth as a gratuitous nod to yesteryear simply does not float my boat. That motor was glass smooth until the vibes hit, then it was shift or see double. No, I've not used a heel shifter before, but this one was so far out of adjustment that it was ridiculous. Were I accustomed to wearing high heels, then yes, it would have been more comfortable, but I did not have the opportunity to go over the bike to adjust anything (as I noted, three of us found the same issues with the bike).

As far as guys who ride every day know how to work on their bikes, knowing and doing are apparently separate worlds, otherwise you would not have as much work as you do.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Your guzzi’s didn’t suffer from jug sag!
I had a bmw phoenix for a very short time (months) before the novelty wore off.
The set up adjustments does not surprise me seeing how you hey just throw things together nowadays.
I laughed watching a bmw staff demoing one of their bikes with the automatic centerstand.
They were disconnecting the battery, and trying all the switches to get the bike back down off the centerstand etc.
I suggested they push it off the centerstand and walked away smiling.
I couldn’t get by the looks of the one you rode, so you did better than me even trying one.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I couldn’t get by the looks of the one you rode, so you did better than me even trying one.
I rode it because it had a low seat height. Talk about embarrassment from dropping a $20K new demo bike with no crash guards. The agreement was BMW would pick up the tab for bike damage and I would be responsible for damage to my body. None of that was needed, because I chose a bike I could flat foot. You should have seen the 310! That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I won't belittle anyone's choice of ride (except to my wife and close friends).

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I've owned a few old Airhead models, an R90S a R75/5, R100S and a R100T. Those spring loaded side stands could be brutal on your shins. I still remember the sharp searing pain when I forgot about that stupid side stand and tipped the bike enough for it to let loose and whack me in the shin.

Bike
2009 ST1300
It is one thing I really enjoy about the … well thr two things; the floor boards and the heel toe shifter, on the yamaha vstar, oh and the low centre of grav.. and the that the paint matches my bud light, and…
there aren’t those two sandwichiches of squashed ___ … parts you gotta unravel every now and then

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
@SMSW thanks for the review. When I was at a local BMW dealer they had 3 of those on the floor. The salesmen didn't like it because it wasn't moving.. ALL other BMWs they have move quickly. I'm sure there's someone that will fall in love with it... It's not me but that's okay, it's good there are options out there and the ST is a tough comparison for anyone... heck, I've been searching for that for several years and now that I'm on the RT, I feel like I have what Honda should have created in a modern ST version.

It's great to see you aren't narrow-minded about checking out all the great options out there for bikes.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
BMW apparently misjudged demand or pricing for the R18. The local dealer here also seems to always have several of these in stock on the showroom floor while popular models like the GS models and the RT are missing. These are mostly available only after waiting weeks or months. I've seen only one R18 in the wild and interestingly enough the owner tours on it and rode it from CA to FL. He told me that I would see his bike on pictures featuring some certain touring accessories for the R18 because his bike was used as a mule when creating the accessories.

Some comments in this thread on BMW handling and suspension are dated by at least 30 years. BMW introduced the Paralever rear suspension in the early 90's for most of the shaft driven models. Bikes with Paralever swing arms do not exhibit the peculiar shaft jacking that the previous bikes had. Shaft jacking will dramatically lower the suspension when the throttle is cut abruptly and raise the rear under acceleration. As Larry alluded to, an old-time BMW pilot learns early on not to cut the throttle on old Beemers in a corner as the bike might drop low enough to touch the valve cover or kick stand. It wasn't a bad habit to learn but the lesson could be harsh. The R18 is competing in a class that traditionally has terrible suspension so being limited to 3.5" of harsh travel in back isn't out of ordinary.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
@SMSW thanks for the review....
Thanks for the kind words, Joe. Full confession, while I don't particularly like the looks of this bike - the jugs are way out of proportion to the rest of the machine - I admit to being fascinated by the genre - big full boat Harleys included. And I did want to take one for a test ride because I will never own one, and opportunities to dip my toe in the water (so to speak) are rare. I would liked to have been able to see what the suspension feels like going over some real world bumps - for example, the raised asphalt ridges on the interstate that runs by my house a mile away, but compared to my ST, or V Strom this bike was plush on relatively smooth asphalt. My first choice would have been an RT, but absent the optional low seat I would feel uneasy testing a bike I could easily drop at an off camber stop/turn (I did drop my ST about 1/2 mile away from @dohboy's house on my way home at an uphill, off camber right turn w/ stop sign). And, of course, as said, BMW did not make bikes with all the options available. In face, the infotainment systems were all disabled to prevent distractions.

BMW apparently misjudged demand or pricing for the R18. The local dealer here also seems to always have several of these in stock on the showroom floor....
There are two dealers in Cleveland, and one about 50 miles south of us. That latter dealer has three R18's on his floor, and my good friend who has bought a number of bikes from them, and has them service all of his Beemers says he really does not think the Harley guys will buy them and they are going to be around for a while. Said dealer has already sold a GS and a couple of the more popular models (that I am aware of) so your comments are spot on. It remains to be seen how the Cleveland dealers will move the R18's.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I do know several people riding the current or late model F750 GS's that are lowered for better leg reach. These should be less top heavy and equipped with higher spec suspension, brakes, and rider aids compared to the Veestrom 650.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would be the last... :rofl1:
You wouldn't be alone. The vintage singles like the R26 pictured in the house were heavy, slow, and expensive. Sidecar tugs hanging on for years after the need had passed.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You wouldn't be alone. The vintage singles like the R26 pictured in the house were heavy, slow, and expensive. Sidecar tugs hanging on for years after the need had passed.
Probably why it's being used as an ornament... lol.. I appreciate the history and nostalgia but I prefer modern technology, well.. at least no older than the 70's .

Top Bottom