Test Rode an R18 Classic.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Some folks don't want a turn key motorcycle like everyone else....
Some folks like fabricating, building, and taking pride in stuff.
ANorleyrolloutpolished 069.JPG

Bike
2000 ST1100
I guess it's better late than never but I suppose that BMW had to get on the cruiser band wagon. Imho this is a maket that is owned by Harley Davidson and the crumbs are left for everyone else. Nothing wrong with a manufacturer building them but most know we just are building them as I've heard they ain't moving like hotcakes at the BMW dealers. To me BMW will alway's be known for their excellent sport touring motorcycles.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, Honda did do a bagger version of the Wing.. and BMW also w/K1600B.. and those have both been very successful..

Those aren't really cruisers but then again.. how much plastic do you add before you don't call it a cruiser.. The 1500 Valk and Wing were very similar in many ways.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Well, Honda did do a bagger version of the Wing.. and BMW also w/K1600B.. and those have both been very successful..

Those aren't really cruisers but then again.. how much plastic do you add before you don't call it a cruiser.. The 1500 Valk and Wing were very similar in many ways.
I think those are in a new sub category called the touring cruisers....not real cruisers.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 BMW RT
Thanks for the kind words, Joe. Full confession, while I don't particularly like the looks of this bike - the jugs are way out of proportion to the rest of the machine - I admit to being fascinated by the genre - big full boat Harleys included. And I did want to take one for a test ride because I will never own one, and opportunities to dip my toe in the water (so to speak) are rare. I would liked to have been able to see what the suspension feels like going over some real world bumps - for example, the raised asphalt ridges on the interstate that runs by my house a mile away, but compared to my ST, or V Strom this bike was plush on relatively smooth asphalt. My first choice would have been an RT, but absent the optional low seat I would feel uneasy testing a bike I could easily drop at an off camber stop/turn (I did drop my ST about 1/2 mile away from @dohboy's house on my way home at an uphill, off camber right turn w/ stop sign). And, of course, as said, BMW did not make bikes with all the options available. In face, the infotainment systems were all disabled to prevent distractions.

There are two dealers in Cleveland, and one about 50 miles south of us. That latter dealer has three R18's on his floor, and my good friend who has bought a number of bikes from them, and has them service all of his Beemers says he really does not think the Harley guys will buy them and they are going to be around for a while. Said dealer has already sold a GS and a couple of the more popular models (that I am aware of) so your comments are spot on. It remains to be seen how the Cleveland dealers will move the R18's.
Peter, I know intersection you were at. I went that way one time, without dropping the bike, but always avoided that intersection. Did you get the bike up alone, or did someone stop and help? you should have stopped by. Ron

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Peter, I know intersection you were at. I went that way one time, without dropping the bike, but always avoided that intersection. Did you get the bike up alone, or did someone stop and help? you should have stopped by. Ron
Ron, This happened years ago, on my way home from my first ride with you guys and stopping at your house after the Der Dutchman breakfast. A guy following me in his car was out in a flash to see if I was hurt (not a scratch or a bruise) and he helped me pick the bike up. As I stopped, I put my right foot down and did not realize the ground was so far away.....

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
@SMSW, thanks for the info. I've never seen it in the flesh. First, I think its butt ugly, second, it is light years from the kind of riding I do. But, if you're looking for a german cruiser that turns heads, hey.........

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
@SMSW I was going to mention.....later this fall, you need to pack your bike up and come down to WV-Stoc,,,,,,,,and BRG.....:thumb:, just about 270ish miles.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Having a motorcycle engine larger than some of my car engines, does not appeal to me at all.

Chris

Top Bottom