Test rode the BMW K1200GT today

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I was hoping it would be a disappointment, a nice bike but nothing all that special compared to my not-even-broken-in 2005 ST. I was wrong . . .

I took the bike on a 15-mile spin, enough to see that this is the first Beemer I've ever ridden that is every bit as smooth as a Honda.

No vibration that I noticed at any rpm anywhere on the bike,
perfect ergos for my 5-11 body, more room for my legs to stretch out,
power that seemed to noticebly exceed that of the ST,
a bit more comfortable with a seat that won't need to be replaced,
excellent rear-view mirrors,
adjustable handle bars,
dash display that can be seen in any light,
and that's not ever factoring in some of the "Luxury" features like the heated seats, grips, gps, etc.,
even the power-assist brakes felt great.

Very very hard to say this, but I wish I had this bike instead of my ST1300, which as I already said is hardly broken in. Of course the big kicker on the BMW is the price, base price of $18,900, and it goes up quick from there to over $20,000.

I think I'll try another demo later in the summer, this time also get my brother's impressions, and see if it still feels so great . . . .

Any one else try one yet, and if so what are your impressions? And any one here that has made the switch?

Dennis

STinner

Retired
Bike
2016 Goldwing
2024 Miles
Glad you liked it! but it comes down to that bottom line............$
need to put a driveway in first!

Bike
2006 ST1300
If money is not an issue the BMW should win. It would be analogous to the Accord vs. a 325i; its apples and oranges. Think about the poor HD owner that did pay the 20k and got a bike that can?t even compare with an $8,000.00 Concourse.:nuts1: :nuts1:

TPadden

Tom Padden
zoomzoomzoom said:
Think about the poor HD owner that did pay the 20k and got a bike that can?t even compare with an $8,000.00 Concourse.:nuts1: :nuts1:
Or the poor people who buy the BMW and have no way to get it to their house because thay don't have a driveway! :D

Tom

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
After you get it out the door (fully loaded these puppies go $22K and some change) you get to pay for maintenance. The more I ride my ST, the more I like it. Besides, I farkled hearty and now have everything I need just to my liking. Why go backwards!!

John

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I recently sat on one in the showroom. It was a bit tall for me, 5'-8" on a good day. I really liked the adjustable bars. I asked the salesman if some type of tipover protection was available. He indicated he thought there was some behind the fairing. :eek: That's going to save that huge chunk of BMW $ plastic.

I will probably test ride one sometime and see if it fits me any better and see how it compares to the ST1300. I know the last generation didn't even come close.

Ray

I've ridden a lot of BMW's and owned a lot of Honda's. And, honestly, I've never had my old Honda's in the shop for more than a carb adjustment. The first Honda I owned was new in 73 and a year later it had 10k on it and was completely cafe'd. My late uncle started out on BMW's (3) and rode the country and beyond but even he graduated to a Honda GW. In my humble opinion, I think i'd rather have a boring, reliable Honda than a trendy, broken BMW touring bike out in the middle of nowhere. I'm new here so please be gentle with your replies. :)

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
I can't help believing that 2008 will bring a major update to the ST. That would be the five year mark Honda often goes to before changes. Too many great new machines like the revamped FJR, 1400cc Councours, and of course K1200GT for Honda to ignore. If Honda makes major changes I would consider trading my 05 for one. Have you read the comparo test Motorcyclist did on the FJR, BMW K1200GT, and ST1300. ST1300 was the winner. Doesn't make me think the 6K-8K more expensive BMW is at all worth it.

Phil

STOC #
A quick check of numbers, and at the 100,000 mile mark, the cost of owning my ST1300, including purchase price, tires, and GAS, will just equal the out the door price of the Beemer with zero miles on the clock.
If I baby my tires I can include oil changes in that number
If you drop the GT once in a parking lot I can include my insurance costs.
If you include the Deutchland maintenance plan:eek: , I can include....well....you get the idea.

As nice as the K12K is.....to me....it's not that nice.

Spencer:popcorn

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I really like the GT, wasn't too wild about the color options though.

The cruise control, ESA, heated seats and grips, adjustable everything really make for nice touring bike in a lightinening fast platform that handles well.

But I love both my current bikes, and gonna stay put, if I they'd take the RT and a 3-4 thousand I might trade, but they'll want one of my bikes and a bunch of money, and not doing that.

STOC #
I rode a K12GT at Biketoberfest last year from the factory demo team (before I rode what I eventually purchased, the ST). The GT was great although I personally liked the RT better (because of ergonomic differences and because I would be leary of the GT's first year production.)

But I opted for the ST. First, I bought my 06 used from a dealer in North Dakota (later shipped to me in Florida). He priced it at 10,600 because (based on his location, he knew he might keep it for 6 months otherwise! The price made my ST 8K less than an RT with options and 10K less than a GT with options. Lets face it, we all love riding but we also have other obligations.

Next, I came to my ST from a BMW and, while I love the quality of the machinery, I'd frankly gotten tired of worrying about dealers who may or may not be in business when I need service. My dealer had an unpleasant habit of reminding me he was the only game in town unless I wanted to travel 4 hours to Tampa, Orlando or Atlanta for service. I'll have to say I just felt like a hostage.

Considering price, reliability and the opportunity for service (if needed), my judgement is that the ST can't be beat in comparison with the R12RT or the K12GT. If I saw a great deal on an RT or a GT and lived in a town with a couple of dealers (like Atlanta), my choice may have been different. I'm not looking back.... Bob

Top Bottom