Tested the PONR 2 yrs ago in a parking lot

Clair

'01 ST1100
So, commuting to work, get on the interstate and realize I hadn;t strapped on the helmet. Had it on of course, but hadn't secured it. Duh. So, at the first exit I get off and pull into a parking lot ... it has a very slight slope. Anyway, I'm late and somewhat irked with myself for forgetting to secure the helmet. Not a smart move on my behalf. Oh, I should point out that I was still new to the ST1100 at this point, still getting used to it's size and weight.

So, I'm somewhat inseam challenged (30 inch) and the ST11 is somewhat heavy. More heavy than my cruiser was anyway. So I figure I'll hop on the bike and use my momentum to also get the bike off of the side stand. One should be able to deduce the outcome here ...

I get on the bike, swing the right leg over, throw myself onto the bike, start to bring the bike upright using that momentum ... and that damn momentum keeps going .... and going ... remember that slope I mentioned ... before I could really do anything the bike was leaning to the right ... I had gone beyond the point of no return (PONR) and over she went. Funny how you can't keep 700+ pounds up when gravity takes hold.

So, now REALLY pissed that I'd just tipped my bike over, I picked it up VERY carefully making sure the side stand is positioned well, and got it settled. Only damage was to the right wing, cracked it a bit.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
:crackup

Surely you could have thrown in a snowy mountain pass on a closed road to make the story even more interesting! :)

:eek:

It gets us all sooner or later. Count me in the sooner crowd.

I'm glad there wasn't much damage to you or the bike.

Pat

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Does a tip-over that happened two years ago count? I gotta read the TOA rule book one of these days... Here's your TOA!

Top Bottom