Testing ABS Brakes - how far do you go?

Bike
ST1300 '10
STOC #
Hi all, I've had Little Miss STealthy for only a little while now and have been gradually learning her capabilities over about 2000 km.

When I was short-listing my options for a bike, I considered ABS mandatory (having locked up the front wheel & lost on a previous bike). Linked brakes were a "bonus".

While my parking lot practice includes emergency stops, I have deliberately not gone so hard & aggressive that the ABS has kicked in.

However, I'm wondering if I should:
  • To make sure they're working.
  • To get used to the feel (so I'm not surprised when/if I really need it).

Does anyone out there in ST-land practice a real lockup to exercise the ABS? Is it worth the extra risk?

If so, under what conditions/scenario and what technique do you use? Dry, wet, oil, paint, grass, hard, gradual, etc., etc.?

Or, should I just trust Little Miss STealthy to get me out of trouble only if absolutely needed?

Cheers, Rob.
:aussie1:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
... To make sure they're working.
The computer does a pretty thorough diagnostic of everything in the system at startup and continues to keep an eye on what it can while you're underway. The start-up checks include moving the pistons in the modulators and verifying that the crank sensors read back what they should. If the ABS lamp goes out after you start rolling, you can be pretty sure the system will work.

... To get used to the feel (so I'm not surprised when/if I really need it).
You'll probably be surprised at what you don't feel, because the direct-driven system on the ST operates very smoothly compared to some other systems you might be used to. Honda has a good page that illustrates how their system works and has a graph at the bottom that compares how pressure and the wheel and body speeds work out on both types: CLICKY

--Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Full out threshold braking is certainly a good skill builder with or without ABS. Dry pavement from 50 km.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
As an instructor of Total Control Level 2 I regularly engage the ABS system on my ST in demonstrations. Once you master the technique of maximum threshold braking you can get the system to just "tick" once at the very end of the stop.

Get a really high traction surface and you can even lift the rear wheel at the end of a stop. ;)

FOG

Every time I take a new rider out, I go to a remote road and demonstrate, rear only, front only and both stopping distances from 60 MPH.

YES you shoud practice threshold, ad well as full out ABS stops, just so you know how the bike reacts. I also frequently engage the ABS on wet roads, just to test the traction limits of the pavement.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
The only way I can get my ABS to work is to provoke it at lower speed on a loose or slippery surface..... even under emergency braking conditions on a wet surface I can't get it to cut in, either that or it is so smooth in operation I can't feel it...... same with TCS...... but I can't get that to work in normal conditions either....

That should stimulate some discussion......

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Had it kick in stopping on what appeared to be trannie fluid.... Didn't really notice it kicking in ( maybe pucker factor at the time when I wasn't stopping :) ) but didn't slide out the front either... worth the cost for the one time.!

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The only way I can get my ABS to work is to provoke it at lower speed on a loose or slippery surface..... even under emergency braking conditions on a wet surface I can't get it to cut in, either that or it is so smooth in operation I can't feel it...... same with TCS...... but I can't get that to work in normal conditions either....

That should stimulate some discussion......
You're not pulling your lever in far enough. ;)

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I can assure you that when I had my bike totalled last year, that lever was pulled as far as it was going....... mind you it was a new front tyre with about 250 miles on it and the road was dry and as good as you could get....

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Les, was it an ABS bike? (Are you saying ABS worked, but was irrelevant due to other circumstances?) Just trying to get your meaning, thanks. :)

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
No, I was unaware of any ABS intervention, but could not have braked any harder........ there were, to my knowledge, no skidmarks or striations on the road surface..... and trust me, I was on those brakes like..... hard..... I missed the van that violated my right of way, but hit the trailer he was towing.....

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well, pulling the lever in all the way doesn't really mean anything.

How you pulled the lever in would determine what would happen regarding traction. (and at the same time, what the ABS system would do.)

Bike
Vstrom 650
This may sound stupid,(wouldn't be the first time) but in an emergency braking situation should I also pull in the clutch as well as applying front and rear brakes together,I have an 01 st1100 with cbs/abs/traction control, thanks

Well, pulling the lever in all the way doesn't really mean anything.

How you pulled the lever in would determine what would happen regarding traction. (and at the same time, what the ABS system would do.)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, clutch in when braking heavily. You don't want to stall the engine if you lock up or approach locking up the rear wheel.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I pretty much trust the diagnostics.

I have had a situation where I have had to brake hard enough to hear the tires chirp when a car didn't see me and turned left in front of me. That is why I bought the ABS.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Besides pulling the clutch in when panic braking, also downshift so you're ready to squirt outta there if you need to. Of course that's sometimes hard to have the presence of mind under panic conditions.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
As a side note to the good points made, you can test your system on the grass to make it easier to make sure the system is working as the diagnostics say it will. That way a mishap caused by testing the front will not be a damaging one.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I don't have ABS but my understanding is go ahead and play. Heck wet grass, gravel parking lot, whatever. Just don't be leaning in a turn, just upright.

Top Bottom