Texan looking for road advice

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Thinnking of heading to Montana/Idaho later and looking at I90 St Regis heading south through the mountains and winding my way into Wallace. Not sure of all the road numbers but is that a good ride? Paved I am assuming? Looks inviting on the map.

Bike
CBR500R
If you mean the road that goes from St Regis along the St Joe river into Idaho then the Montana part is mostly gravel until you hit the Idaho border and then it is paved the rest of the way.
From St Regis you climb up a few switch backs to get to the border with Idaho but it is a good gravel road and not hard on a street bike if you are used to gravel roads.
If you don't care for gravel the Lolo pass highway 12 from just south of Missoula is a very nice bike road.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
If you do Lolo Pass (highway 12) don't forget the Old Spiral Highway just a little north west of North Lewiston on 128.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I90 is a super slab all the way. Wallace is a cool little old mining town. If you want to stay there..book ahead. We are just a couple hours west of there.
Lots of better roads, but much slower. T

OP
OP
Mophead

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
It's worth your time to connect Denver and salt lake city on your way up to Idaho.
I did a stretch from Boise to Cheyenne, WY one Sunday on a Labor Day weekend. Pretty uneventful across Wyoming but you can make great time. Had no problem running in the 90's.

Top Bottom