thanks for a civil forum

bcnu

o&o>
Bike
GL1800
I just thought I would take a minute and say thanks to all for making this forum a civil place to come and seek info or share.
nothing is perfect and so this is true here as well

but

I frequent several forums and they all seem to have their up's and downs from my point of view.
I read an FJR forum every day as I do most of the ones I visit and it is VERY unfriendly. rude asses run amuk and most times I am there I read something and want to say just shut the hell up. but I know what would happen if I posted almost anything there. someone would find fault and I would tell them to go P off and there ya have it
anyway thanks to all here for a pleasant place to come and learn or share

Bike
2008 ST1300
It's true "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". Or even those interested in Hondas.

The anonymity of the internet often brings out the trolls. I've had the privilege to meet several of the people on this forum in real life and I think that makes all the difference. Not that I would say mean or nasty things on here. But if a person goes in with the attitude that people online are real people and you may one day meet up with them in person I think it would change the way many would behave online.

I'd certainly like all current and future encounters with my fellow motorcycle riders to be good and positive ones, whether they're from this forum or any other.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Even though my ST is for sale, this is still my #1 online community.

Bike
ST1300A
I agree with you, this is a great site because of the people (including Mellow who keeps it running smoothly).
In this spring I joined a car forum when I got my new car (Acura TL), but after just a few visits and posts to that site I was turned off because of the rudeness of other forum members. Perhaps they are not intending to be rude, but it sure comes across that way. I barely ever visit that site anymore, unless I am looking for a bit of specific info, and then I log off right away. It's too bad really, but thank goodness we have this site to come back to.

Bike
2004, ST 1300
Must say it is the most respectable and friendliest forums that I have ever been on.

Long that it may last :):):), Jim.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
LOL.. it's because we delete everything that's not friendly... Ha!!!!!!!!!

If someone even starts to take a jab at someone else we remove it... bottom line, there's no reason to be mean spirited when we are all here to just have fun. We also don't allow political, religious or other controversial discussions as they tend to bring our emotions not really needed when focusing on the fun we're having on a motorcycle. Some don't agree with that approach..... I usually ban them... Ha!!!!!!!

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
You son of ah...oh wait you're right that's what works. I also visit other forums but have learned to NOT open my mouth like on here, say something good people discredit it and you are called stupid or any other name of choice. Say something funny or poke fun and people tear you apart trying to be internet tough guys. after a while everyone here learns to appreciate the delete key. :d1:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Don/bcnu, I know of what you speak on a certain other forum--it is as if a poster is not credible if they're not rude, full of f-bombs, or if they don't submit to the will of the most adamant or most popular few on the forum. There's a reason that certain other forum has a tenth (or less?) the members and content/posts as here.

+1 to many of the above comments about this forum (vs other forums). Civil, respectful, and disciplined interactions matter.

My compliments to Joe and the moderators here. :yes:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yep, have to say I was surprised that I didn't have to go through a profanity filled vetting after introducing myself as a noob. I was part of another MC forum for the Shadow and gave up on it. I really look forward to being able to meet up at a STOC event.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
While Joe gets the credit for setting the forums' philosophy and tone, to be honest, the vast majority of the members do a great job of turning that into reality. And it's a whole lot more than just the posts we all read here everyday. Just look what happens when a member is in need. Whether it's stranded on the road, banged up from a get off, or facing a serious health issue, someone always, and I mean always, jumps in to help out. An extraordinary community to be sure.

John

Bike
ST1300
Well, it seems to be a worthwhile approach to be proactive in monitoring the forum. I certainly appreciate not just the general tone of the forum, but also that discussions tend to stay on topic quite well.

So, good job.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I agree this is one of the best online forums around! When I joined and well before I met anyone at an event people were always helpful and instructions were given in detail when I needed help doing something. There are several extremely knowledgable individuals here that don't mind sharing what they know. What really touched me was the way members mobilized to help one in need when stranded on the road, after an accident, tech events, or in poor health. After meeting members at events I realized why this forum was such a great place to hang out; this is a great group of people on line and in person!

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
The internet can be a great tool, and this forum is a prime example of what can be achieved with the right kind of polish. As distasteful comments disappear in a puff of smoke, and helpful and friendly banter continues to be the order of the day, we can all enjoy this place. And I also gotta say - I love STOC events! :D

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I agree this is one of the best online forums around! When I joined and well before I met anyone at an event people were always helpful and instructions were given in detail when I needed help doing something. There are several extremely knowledgable individuals here that don't mind sharing what they know. What really touched me was the way members mobilized to help one in need when stranded on the road, after an accident, tech events, or in poor health. After meeting members at events I realized why this forum was such a great place to hang out; this is a great group of people on line and in person!
What do you mean, one of the best online forums around?
I very rarely visit any of the other m/c forums, but from what I've seen I don't think any of them could hold a candle to this forum - this place is great!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
from what I've seen I don't think any of them could hold a candle to this forum - this place is great!
Absolutely the best mc forum I've ever seen.....kudos to Mellow and his happy crew of elves or whatever they are ('tis approaching Christmas)...there's other niche forums that are good, photography for example, but this is the best by far of mc related stuff....and if you want to see examples of really bad forums check out the Subaru ones, they don't even know where the oil filter is....and discuss it for pages...............thanks again.........ff......BTW, I don't even own any Hondas any more....won't keep me from showing up here regularly

Last edited:
Bike
Katana 1100f
STOC #
It's funny that we even have to have this discussion. It is self evident when you wander this forum that it is a welcoming place, I don't even have an st yet I am still riding my katana 1100f. The kat forum is a good helpful place but I know for me I will be getting a nice used st at some point and until then, I know like the previous commenters I can enjoy this forum of like minded riders.
Thanks

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
We have a very similar forum for CB 1100 owners over at CB1100forum.com. I am the moderator over there and must confess being a member here for a few years was a great learning tool on what should and should not be done to keep a forum civil. Mellow sets the tone, and either members fall in line or they find somewhere else to raise cain. Without Mellows guidance it is anarchy. I moderate the CB 1100 forum the same way. Some have not cared for my uncompromising moderation but 99% appreciate coming to a forum where they are treated respectfully and civilly. Mellow has done a great job here, he works hard and it shows. How he has been able to keep it up for so long is what is amazing to me, because mentally it can be draining. I think about handing it over to someone else at times, but when you see threads like this one it reaffirms the job you are doing. That your efforts are genuinely appreciated

So thanks Mellow for the job you are doing and for being my moderating mentor even if you didn't know you were doing so.

Top Bottom