The 5 Way Tee

Bike
2009 ST1300
So I thought I'd start a thread entitled the 5 way tee, there's a lot of discussion and reference to it in regard to it possible being plugged or leaking through the various tubes, some reference in the 03 manual I have as well, it's strikes me as sort of a who cares, it manifolds the under throttle plate values and exposes them to the MAP sensor; as long as at least one is referenced to the the MAP sensor, how much difference does it make?
I don't get it.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Has there been a reliable source for a brass made replacement found yet?
Or: any dimensional drawings avail so I could produce one myself?
(friend has a 1300 and I'd like to replace that thing precautionary...)

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Has there been a reliable source for a brass made replacement found yet?
Or: any dimensional drawings avail so I could produce one myself?
(friend has a 1300 and I'd like to replace that thing precautionary...)
5 way vacuum Tee or 3 way coolant Tee? Only the coolant Tee is prone to breaking AFAIK.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I did not find the 5-way tee to be particularly fragile. It is small,,, and so has to be handled as such. The old hardened hoses had to be pushed off,,, and not pulled or twisted off. But they came off easily. I was ready to use a plastic penetrating lube,,, but did not need it. I replaced the hoses with new, longer,,, 5/32 Prestone hose. With all the hype,, I did have a backup 5-way fitting ready,,, which was a common nylon 5-way from Car-Quest. But I did not need it. BTW,,, Honda Canada wants ridiculous $$ for them,, and often does not carry stock. When I searched out the oem replacement, a couple of years ago,,, there were only a couple of them in North American inventory at that time. Just fyi,,, CAt'20210205_171250.jpg20210208_173801.jpg20210128_145417.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
I guess the four branch signals result in something stronger or smoother [or both] that the MAP sensor can reference; wondering if it's a good idea with the vacuum lines disconnected at each TB to just poke a small solid wire through to ensure the ports are clear.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
wondering if it's a good idea with the vacuum lines disconnected at each TB to just poke a small solid wire through to ensure the ports are clear.
l blew some throttle body cleaner back down through the passage,,, into a rag. Those ports were clear. I do caution about getting any kind of cleaner on the butterflies,,, too prevent unintended damage to the molybdenum coating (dark grey material) on them. There is no replacing that. CAt'

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
l blew some throttle body cleaner back down through the passage,,, into a rag. Those ports were clear. I do caution about getting any kind of cleaner on the butterflies,,, too prevent unintended damage to the molybdenum coating (dark grey material) on them. There is no replacing that. CAt'
A pipe cleaner works a treat.

Bike
Blue 04 ST
I think Honda makes the best vac. hose so why not use it. If you buy from a auto parts store how do you know it's not made in china. When I replaced my 5 way hose with 75,000 mi[es There where small cracks around the cut edge' of some of the hoses . I used air in a can to clean and found no type of dirt.

STOC #
I did not find the 5-way tee to be particularly fragile. It is small,,, and so has to be handled as such. The old hardened hoses had to be pushed off,,, and not pulled or twisted off. But they came off easily. I was ready to use a plastic penetrating lube,,, but did not need it. I replaced the hoses with new, longer,,, 5/32 Prestone hose. With all the hype,, I did have a backup 5-way fitting ready,,, which was a common nylon 5-way from Car-Quest. But I did not need it. BTW,,, Honda Canada wants ridiculous $$ for them,, and often does not carry stock. When I searched out the oem replacement, a couple of years ago,,, there were only a couple of them in North American inventory at that time. Just fyi,,, CAt'20210205_171250.jpg20210208_173801.jpg20210128_145417.jpg
Where did you get the prestone hose and what length is needed?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Where did you get the prestone hose and what length is needed?
It is 5/32" vacuum hose / windshield washer tubing. WV0532 is a generic part number. It is sold under many different names, not just Prestone, all packaged in the same blister pack and the same length. You should be able to find it an auto parts, or have it ordered. Or just buy any good quality 5/32" vacuum hose.

1651012025642.jpeg

1651011885642.png

STOC #
It is 5/32" vacuum hose / windshield washer tubing. WV0532 is a generic part number. It is sold under many different names, not just Prestone, all packaged in the same blister pack and the same length. You should be able to find it an auto parts, or have it ordered. Or just buy any good quality 5/32" vacuum hose.

1651012025642.jpeg

1651011885642.png
Thanks, that is what I thought but double checking as so far struck out at 4 carquests and 1 princess auto so far, even in bulk.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think Honda makes the best vac. hose so why not use it. If you buy from a auto parts store how do you know it's not made in china.
Thinking does not make it so, nor does the country of origin indicate its quality.

Look at Apple's computers and phones. Most of them are made and assembled in China (with parts sourced from all over). Regardless if you prefer PC's or Mac's, you have to acknowledge that Apple's hardware is tops in quality.

I buy Honda's GN4 at my local dealer (19.95/gal a few months ago). Why would anyone use another brand of oil?. - because there are as many opinions as there are people (probably more). Our mileage definitely varies.

Bike
Blue 04 ST
Thinking does not make it so, nor does the country of origin indicate its quality.

Look at Apple's computers and phones. Most of them are made and assembled in China (with parts sourced from all over). Regardless if you prefer PC's or Mac's, you have to acknowledge that Apple's hardware is tops in quality.

I buy Honda's GN4 at my local dealer (19.95/gal a few months ago). Why would anyone use another brand of oil?. - because there are as many opinions as there are people (probably more). Our mileage definitely varies.
I make "medical" printed circuit boards everyday with parts from China . I just do not trust some rubber hose that could be made for windshield fluid or out of a substandard material to offer something at a lower price. Maybe I would buy from Napa if it was made by Gates. Just think of the Environment this vacuum hose works in and how much of a pain in the ass it would be to to have a break down on the Highway. Thinking more about this is, a lot of Honda stuff is made in China to Hondas specifications. Ok just change your vac hose every 5000 miles with your Non synthetic GN4 .

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Generally speaking, China will make things to a price point. The higher the quality, the higher the price point. Also, you need quality QA people there to assure things are kept to the standard you are paying for.

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
Upon starting my 2007 last week, the initial idle was definitely lower than normal and uneven. I began receiving an FI Code 2 almost immediately. After some research on the forum, I followed all the great info and removed the 5 Way Tee, the old vacuum hoses, and the MAP Sensor. I cleaned the sensor with some Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner, cleaned the tee with a pipe cleaner and carb cleaner (only a little crud came out), and then reinstalled with new MasterPro 5/32 hoses from O'Reilly's like the ones pictured above, cutting them slightly longer than the originals to elevate the tee some like suggested. I was a little concerned that the new hoses did not fit very snuggly onto the tee, but the tension from the opposing side hoses seemed to hold everything together alright. After reassembling everything and cranking the motor, the FI light code did not come on, but the idle was still pretty low. When using the throttle to raise the idle speed, I am getting a pulsing of the RPM level up and down. I've thought I might need to increase the idle adjustment, but I'm wondering if those not-so-snug vacuum hoses on the 5 way tee might have anything to do with this. I remember reading something about a similar idle pulsing issue somewhere on the forum, but I can't find that info again. Thanks in advance for any guidance and help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom