The best battery for your ST

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Anyone know the differences among A, H, L, AH., AHL, etc.?

Added: There's a serious mix of reviews on Amazon about the GYZ16H.
When I spoke with Yuasa customer service, they advised against buying the GYZ16H from Amazon as they were not an authorized reseller of it and did not know where they were getting the batteries from. Nor did they know how they were maintaining the batteries while sitting in stock. When I asked who would be a good reseller to buy from they said Summit Racing as they move a lot of batteries.

Note that the GYZ16H I bought on Amazon failed on me inside of one year and Yuasa replaced it free of charge. They shipped me a new battery direct from the factory.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I spoke with Yuasa customer service, they advised against buying from Amazon as they were not an authorized reseller and did not know where they were getting the batteries from. Nor did they know how they were maintaining the batteries while sitting in stock.
This is sort of disingenious on the part of Yuasa customer service. For ST1100 owners buying OEM Yuasa YTZ14-BS batteries from Amazon or any source the good thing is the battery is shipped dry and is only activated at the time of installation. It will not need maintaining while sitting on a shelf somewhere. The battery will never be fresher as when the electrolyte is added and the battery is fully charged before installation.

This holds true for any battery with BS in the model type. They are shipped dry with the electrolyte in a separate container.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Don't get this one:

Great reviews, but shipped from China and the box was damaged as were the terminals. Their advice...use a screwdriver to pry the terminals back into shape. Obviously battery was returned at their cost. I wound up getting an AGM Duracell from Batteries + Bulbs and that seems to be fine for the bike (the 94). I have a Deltran battery In the 2000 and that’s now about 6 years old and going strong (crosses fingers).

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It has been my experience that the Yuasa replacement batteries are not of the same quality as the ones that came in the bike. Of the 3 that I bought as replacements, all 3 failed in less than 5 years. One failed during its second season. Because of that, I have gone to using generics and just replacing every few years rather than wait to be left stranded.
I realize that is not everyone's experience but I don't think I am alone in finding replacement Yuasa batteries being iffy.
I've had other folks complain about this same issue, it always turned out that while they purchased a Yuasa battery, they purchased a cheaper, lower cranking power version, that the salesman told them would save them a couple dollars, and would fit. It was almost always never the stock OEM application.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Anyone know the differences among A, H, L, AH., AHL, etc.?
They are descriptors that provide information about the battery's design features such as capacity, positive terminal location, exhaust location, etc..
See below;

Batt.JPG

If you want all of the details, they can be found here- Yuasa Battery 2020 Application Guide

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I've had other folks complain about this same issue, it always turned out that while they purchased a Yuasa battery, they purchased a cheaper, lower cranking power version, that the salesman told them would save them a couple dollars, and would fit. It was almost always never the stock OEM application.
Well, they were labelled Yuasa YTZ 14S. Can't remember the specific CCA. One was purchased from a member here who was selling them. Apparently they were taken out of another Honda application (generator ?). Maybe I fit into the "almost never" category or got falsely labelled batteries.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, they were labelled Yuasa YTZ 14S. Can't remember the specific CCA. One was purchased from a member here who was selling them. Apparently they were taken out of another Honda application (generator ?). Maybe I fit into the "almost never" category or got falsely labelled batteries.
Well, Yuasa only makes and sells one Yuasa branded YTZ14S and it has 230 cold cranking amps. They don't make different models with the same type construction and amp hours and CCA. They used to sell a house brand under the Motocross brand that was supposedly of slightly inferior quality at a lower price. Batteries Plus used to sell them and still might. They were about $90 when a OEM was $150.

I believe the difference in battery life is how a factory activated battery was stored prior to sale and then by the bike owner. All unused batteries self-discharge over time and if the battery sits around a while in a partially discharged state the plates sulphate and capacity is lost, even in a 'brand new' battery. I worked for a while as a parts manager in a busy dealership and we carried a few mid-price aftermarket batteries of all common applications and usually only one genuine OEM application because you stocked what sold or the parts guys could sell. The counter talk went "I need a battery for my CBxxxx, can you help me?" "We have the recommended high quality $150 OEM battery with a two year warranty and a $90 replacement battery with a 1 year warranty, which would you like?" Most buyers went with a lower priced battery during my tenure so we stocked those in number. ST riders tend to be different from cruiser and sport bike riders and might ask for OEM despite the price. But then we didn't see too many ST owners in my store. Exide delivered Honda batteries to me usually the next day so if we sold the only OEM one we had it wasn't likely to sell another one in a day or so, one unit on the shelf was all we needed. Other Hondas take the YTZ14S so we kept one or two of those in stock

I bought one of those Honda generator batteries you speak of when they were available on the forum for $50. I think I got the usual 3 years I got on ST batteries, no matter the brand or cost. The less expensive ones online usually have 190 CCA if the specs are even available. The only one I remember that I would not recommend is the Motobatt battery. They have a unique variable terminal configuration that allows the cables to bolt down both horizontally or vertically but in the ST I couldn't get a socket or screwdriver to tighten the nuts while keeping the bolt from turning.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've had good service out of the MotoBatt AGMs, I have them in all four of my ST1100s and I get 4-6 years out of them before I replace them out of abundance of caution. But, my bikes never see a battery tender and are usually ridden year round - which I think is a lot better for battery life (but I could be wrong). I also like the extra terminals you can add to the ST1100 version for adding accessories. IIRC, the CCA for the ST1100 model is a little more than the Yuasa, but a little less for the ST1300 model. The replacement 'Yuasas' I kept getting croaked after about 2 years and I got tired of paying a premium for that kind of battery life. YEMV. ;)

Motobatt | Motorcycle Batteries, Powersport Batteries & More

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Well, Yuasa only makes and sells one Yuasa branded YTZ14S and it has 230 cold cranking amps. They don't make different models with the same type construction and amp hours and CCA. They used to sell a house brand under the Motocross brand that was supposedly of slightly inferior quality at a lower price. Batteries Plus used to sell them and still might. They were about $90 when a OEM was $150.

I believe the difference in battery life is how a factory activated battery was stored prior to sale and then by the bike owner. All unused batteries self-discharge over time and if the battery sits around a while in a partially discharged state the plates sulphate and capacity is lost, even in a 'brand new' battery. I worked for a while as a parts manager in a busy dealership and we carried a few mid-price aftermarket batteries of all common applications and usually only one genuine OEM application because you stocked what sold or the parts guys could sell. The counter talk went "I need a battery for my CBxxxx, can you help me?" "We have the recommended high quality $150 OEM battery with a two year warranty and a $90 replacement battery with a 1 year warranty, which would you like?" Most buyers went with a lower priced battery during my tenure so we stocked those in number. ST riders tend to be different from cruiser and sport bike riders and might ask for OEM despite the price. But then we didn't see too many ST owners in my store. Exide delivered Honda batteries to me usually the next day so if we sold the only OEM one we had it wasn't likely to sell another one in a day or so, one unit on the shelf was all we needed. Other Hondas take the YTZ14S so we kept one or two of those in stock

I bought one of those Honda generator batteries you speak of when they were available on the forum for $50. I think I got the usual 3 years I got on ST batteries, no matter the brand or cost. The less expensive ones online usually have 190 CCA if the specs are even available. The only one I remember that I would not recommend is the Motobatt battery. They have a unique variable terminal configuration that allows the cables to bolt down both horizontally or vertically but in the ST I couldn't get a socket or screwdriver to tighten the nuts while keeping the bolt from turning.
The "how long they had been on the shelf" thing may well have been the issues I had with the Yuasa replacements I got. They were bought from a reputable battery supplier and were labelled Yuasa YTZ-14S but I have no idea how long they had been in inventory. My bikes sit for at least 4-5 months over our winter, in cold storage but on a tender.
Luck of the draw, combined with my own use/storage may well have contributed to the lower life span. Who knows? I do know that paying 2X the amount for a Yuasa does not guarantee 2X life expectancy. At least not in my hands. Others have better luck and for certain, differing circumstances. Of interest is the Honda generator battery, that I got from a member on this forum, is the one that failed during its second season of use.

Like you, I have taken to replacing batteries as a routine maintenance item, even if they are still functioning.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
This is sort of disingenious on the part of Yuasa customer service. For ST1100 owners buying OEM Yuasa YTZ14-BS batteries from Amazon or any source the good thing is the battery is shipped dry and is only activated at the time of installation. It will not need maintaining while sitting on a shelf somewhere. The battery will never be fresher as when the electrolyte is added and the battery is fully charged before installation.

This holds true for any battery with BS in the model type. They are shipped dry with the electrolyte in a separate container.
I forgot to state that the comment he made was when we were specifically talking about the factory-activated GYZ16H.

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #

They battery I bought on Amazon was factory activated by Yuasa. It did not come dry.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
They battery I bought on Amazon was factory activated by Yuasa. It did not come dry.
Yes, but the one you bought wasn't the model we were discussing earlier today which had BS in the description.

Reactions: jrp

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Order the Genuine Honda Factory Battery, it has the most cranking power, and last the longest, and they last about 5-7 years!
My Yausa is still going strong at 9 years...
Back in 2012, a member here Eavpar (sp ?) was offering new YTZ 14 batts, pulled from Honda generators - for $65...
I keep it on a trickle charger, but only during winter storage. But, I know I am pushing my luck, so plan on changing it this year. Probably get the Yausa Powersports replacement, as discussed in a previous thread here (don't have the link now, sorry).

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I got 9 seasons out of my OEM Yuasa and it's replacement was about $65 from Pete's Superbike in Montreal area. That battery was replaced after 8 seasons by another Yuasa. At that time the CCA 200 one was $105 then, but I put a 240 CCA one in instead for about $120 as I recall.......... about $15 more for an additional 40 CCA of capacity, seemed like a good deal. I always use a tender. I think excessive heat kills batteries more than cold.

The OEM and the 2nd battery were replaced as preventative maintenance, they owed me nothing and who needs a dead battery at the side of the road on a trip you've been planning for 6 months......

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Order the Genuine Honda Factory Battery, it has the most cranking power, and last the longest, and they last about 5-7 years!
The one linked to in post 33 above has a rating of 260 CCA, which is 30 amps higher than the OEM Yuasa battery.
Whether or not it is as good or more of less durable who knows, but it does have a higher CCA rating.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have an original OEM Factory OBE Yuasa battery that came with the bike in my 1300. When it's time to be replaced I'm thinking about an Li-ion product. Recently afflicted with a dead battery in my car I used an Li-ion jump starter to get it going. The start spun sooo fast I pretty was surprised and impressed. The starter has never spun that fast before then.

NewtonNole

Site Supporter
For reference for anyone that searches for information, my battery failed today and I was alerted to an issue by a flashing ABS light. I pulled over to check, and my bike wouldn't turn over when I wanted to continue.

When I pulled the battery, it was an AGM Extreme, and the date was 04/16, so it lasted 5 years.

Top Bottom