The Best TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System)

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Mine read a little low one morning, but I was in a hurry, so I aired up with the tire warm. The pressure rose 6 psi on my ride, so I aired up 6 psi above my target when I stopped, and it was almost perfect when it cooled later.

OP
OP
Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
Reasons Why Happy with Doran TPMS & Tire Choice

Riding North on I-75 Florida Center Lane at speeds 75 to 80Mph on my Loaded Goldwing, both Rider & Passenger Boots, Leathers, ETC North of 250Lbs each, plus Loaded Saddlebags, & Top Case, plus Carrier on Top case piled high (Motorcycle easily exceeding 1,700 Lbs). We hear a loud noise indicating we hit something then the Doran TPMS Large Bright RED LED starts flashing. Observed the Doran illuminated large Digit pressure reading dropping like a rock. Start thinking my God we going to be dead at this speed heavy traffic loaded so heavy.

Miracle or miracle Motorcycle does not wiggle and crossed one lane of Traffic stopping successfully on paved side of Road using Front Brake. Had to put Helmet under left Rear Crash Bar to hold Motorcycle upright as side stand was useless in this circumstance.

Now why I feel why we survived this:

My Choice of Rear Tire that I have used over 100,000 Miles with 3 Spares stored in my cool Basement coated with Armor All to prevent aging. Picture shows the SP5000 Rear Tire Tread + 1 Polyester + 2 Steel + 1 Nylon & Sidewall 2 Polyester, Max Load rating 1,270 LBS, Max Flange Shield - Helps protect rims from accidental curb damage which has added benefit of pinching Rim or Bead Locking when Tire is deflated. Picture shows Rim is 1 1/2-Inches above Payment with Zero Air. Another Picture shows that a foreign Object has cut through the Center of Tire Tread the Size of a Quarter with the Flap reaching the inside of Tire causing such rapid deflation.

My Choice of Doran TPMS that has a excellent large very bright RED LED that really gets your attention Plus a Pressure Monitor display that has large digits illuminated for Day/Night vision.

We were able to power up onto a Flat Bed Truck which let us off at a 8 Bay Garage with 6 Hoists. They explained they do not work on Motorcycles but I said no problem, Laid Goldwing on its Right Crash Bars, put block of Wood under extended Center Stand to raise Rear Wheel off Floor, Removed 5 Bolts holding Rear Wheel. They ordered a replacement Rear Tire and we were on the Road again in 2 Hours to get to Dark Side Rally in Virginia next day.

I use the FOBO TPMS for my Car as once installed you still get alerts by its Monitor and do not need you Cell Phone, that Monitor doesn't come with the Motorcycle Version of FOBO. So with the FOBO on a Motorcycle the CELL Phone is Mandatory. I have yet to find any other TPMS that fills my needs like the DORAN TPMS.

So with my latest method to enable easy battery replacement of its cheap CR2032 Battery in the Sending Units I am able to continue using it for years to come even though they have stopped making them.

My ST1300 also has a 17-Inch Rear Tire that has Rim Protection and bead locking.

Northern Dancer,

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I was told one had to move the bike/wake the sensors up to get the true reading..... certainly if the sensors are always transmitting and that initial reading is correct, that is the most convenient of all. If so, then FOBO is likely the only one doing that.
Actual tire pressure is available at anytime without having to move the bike at all. When I first installed them I was checking them all the time when the bike was parked just because I could. I noticed that my rear tire loses a little air compared to the front over a period of a couple of weeks. I think it's via the rim/tire connection. I didn't need to move the bike to see that.

Also curious how long before you have to replace sensor batteries. Asking for a friend, lol.
FOBO has a big list of things that affect battery drain. Checking the pressure frequently and anything that accesses the sensors. Add an image change the alert settings and temperature extremes etc.

When I got my kit the batteries were old and I had to change them at about three months. With fresh batteries I got almost a year. Once set up in the new batteries all I did was check the pressure first light before setting out. Minimal access to the sensors gives maximum life.

can I pair more than one pair of sensors if I have two or more bikes?
tank bag might scream at me, which might be OK if loud enough.
Yes.

How will I get notification if I do not have phone paired to a headset... suppose phone in the tank bag might scream at me, which might be OK if loud enough.
Screaming phone. You set the alert limits in the app and wherever your phone directs audio output is where the alert is heard.

The current kit is FOBO Bike 2 which is now BT 5.0 instead of 4.2. This means you should get better range possibly faster response to the app and better battery life. Of course that's all subject to the usual YMMV rule.

Bike
2007 ST1300
To be honest I did not read through all 23 posts in this thread. but will recommend TireGard system. I replaced my Doran with this style because it has replaceable CR2032 batteries in each sensor and 1 AAA battery in the brains. I think with technology where it is today just about any system will work.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
FOBO site. I ordered mine from Wingstuff because I thought it would get here sooner. The stuff I ordered directly from FOBO got here quicker than the Wingstuff order.

OP
OP
Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
Mind you I have been Using DORAN TPMS on (4) Four Motorcycles for 14 Years -- Seeing as how that would be (8) Sender Units to Start or when first Installed, that leaves 18 Sending Units had been replaced because batteries could not be replaced -- Remember I have (4) Motorcycles each with (2) Senders which means just over 2 Replacements each Motorcycle in a 14 Year Period (NOT BAD)

The Doran Monitor shows "ON" when everything is Good then immediately Flashes the Bright RED LED should a Battery Fail with Message "NSP" or in case of a sudden loss of Air pressure identifies which Tire and existing Pressure. So there is no risk of Doran Unit not being Operational without You knowing.

So Cheap skate Me I choose not to replace (4) known good TPMS Systems with (4) replacement TPMS Systems but rather devise an easy way to replace these Batteries and share this Info with Club Members. There may be lots of Club Members who have been using Doran TPMS and would benefit with this Knowledge.

Northern Dancer,

Top Bottom