The electric PAN - ST1300 - my next project.

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Good evening ladies & gentlemen,
since finishing my last project of the ABS conversion , I have been left with 3/4 of a bike left. being an overactive thinker :think1:, I have had a bright idea to build my myself an electric PAN.

I initial intension is to make the bike from the outside look normal / standard . except for the lack of exhausts. I have found & registered on the a useful forum called : Elmoto.net. this has been a mine of info.

the next website I found was : www.goldenmotor.com which seems to have all the necessary bits , if I based this on a 20kw motor.

My thoughts on the design are:

1. Utilise gearbox and clutch off engine, remove cylinder heads and barrels , and somehow graft on a suitable size electric motor. therefore I can still use the gearbox , clutch and drive train.
  2. remove the exhaust and headers, fuel system , and underside of tank. ( and utilise this area for batteries & and the nessecary controller units.
  3. convert the harness to power exiting instruments with the new power source.
  4. keep the wheels & suspension standard.
  5. keep the Tupperware & fairings as standard as possible.
  6. Keep the suspension as standard ( non ABS.)
  7. redesign the new engine mounts accordingly.

has anyone done this before ???? , any thoughts or idea's would be greatly received.....

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I like a challenge …… :biggrin:

I will post pictures , updates , requests for help , as I do them accordingly...

regards & thanks

tony

migresch

"Carpe diem"
Bike
'04 ST-1300A
I do not know anything about any of this, but it sounds like a GREAT project. I look forward to following your progress:)

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
choice of electric motor :

the honda motor power is as follows :

Engine type - Number of cylinders​
V4, four-stroke
Engine details​
Fuel system​
Injection
Engine size - Displacement - Engine capacity​
1261.00 ccm (76.95 cubic inches)
Bore x Stroke​
78.0 x 66.0 mm (3.1 x 2.6 inches)
Compression Ratio​
10.8:1
Number of valves per cylinder​
Camshaft Valvetrain Configuration​
DOHC
Maximum power - Output - Horsepower​
118.00 HP (86.1 kW) @ 8000 RPM
Maximum torque​
117.00 Nm (11.9 kgf-m or 86.3 ft.lbs) @ 6500 RPM

the electric which I found similar is :

once my old engine is butchered ( i.e. removal of the combustion engine bit.) I believe I should get a weight saving and as it need the starter motor , alternator , etc.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
The OEM power controlling equipment looks like this.

HPM%20Drive%20Kit%20Setup.jpg

there extra braking with the engine ( see levers) , so I am not sure hows that going to work , with the throttle off. I have to look into a different throttle mechanism ( i.e. twistgrip , rather than foot throttle. ) the actual battery capacity also needs to be worked out also. The rest of the wiring , is planned to be grafted into the existing Pan harness.

Next thing to work out is how much space do we have for batteries ?

Attachments

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Great idea! I wouldn't have a clue how to proceed but would love to follow along and see how this turns out. :) :bigpop:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
You might want to checkout www.endless-sphere.com: LINK (just go to the main page and poke around). I used it when I electrified our mountain bikes.

There are 3 forums on electrified scooters and motorcycles, the battery forums will be of assistance as well!
(as a guess, I too think you might be under-sizing your motor; but, you'll learn more there)

I don't believe you need your transmission and gears at all: battery to engine to driveshaft would be my guess.

Good luck in your endeavor! :D

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Why are you using such a small motor?

25 Kw is ~33 horsepower.
hi shawn ,
Although I still open to trying something bigger powered , I believe for the dimensional size of the motor ( 300 x 300 x 250 ) in mm, the torque is in the region of 160Nm max @ 5000 rpm ( although with gearing I should be able to achieve 8000 rpm) , and the peak power the electric motor can develop is 50kw = 67 horsepower. ( the actual petrol motor is only 87kw , 118nm of torque at 8000 rpm.)

I have tried find the nearest power equivalent , as I do not want to wreck the gearbox / clutch / drive train and have something somewhere near in the original OEM design parameters.

The lithium ion batteries are the next issue ,I am trying to work out how many I will need overall , as I might need to spread out the weight on these in the two side panniers, as well as under the hollowed out fuel tank.

regards

tony

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The lithium ion batteries are the next issue ,I am trying to work out how many I will need overall , as I might need to spread out the weight on these in the two side panniers, as well as under the hollowed out fuel tank.
Here's a thought: A second set of panniers so one pair can be charging while you're riding with another pair, like a cordless drill.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
You might want to checkout www.endless-sphere.com: LINK (just go to the main page and poke around). I used it when I electrified our mountain bikes.

There are 3 forums on electrified scooters and motorcycles, the battery forums will be of assistance as well!
(as a guess, I too think you might be under-sizing your motor; but, you'll learn more there)

I don't believe you need your transmission and gears at all: battery to engine to driveshaft would be my guess.

I would agree. One of the advantages of the electric motos is the constant feed of power to the drive shaft, there is no power band just on or off and the throttle determines the degree of torque.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Guess I'm okay with this so long as a retrofit gas engine is possible to turn it back to an ST, everyone is precious, there will be no more.

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300

Thanks Mark , that is a very useful website. :thumb:

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
"has anyone done this before "???? really?
not sure wether this is a negative comment or not ????? , plenty of people of changed there powerplants to electric EV motors in there motorbikes all over the world. hence the question ……..:rolleyes:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have had a bright idea to build my myself an electric PAN.
A truly ambitious project. I wish you much luck and success. I can't wait to see how you fare.

not sure wether this is a negative comment or not ????? , plenty of people of changed there powerplants to electric EV motors in there motorbikes all over the world. hence the question ……..:rolleyes:
I was wondering its relevance myself. I hope you do well.

This sounds like a fascinating project and I look forward to your updates.

I am curious though, given that the electric motor gives max torque at 0 revs and most electric vehicles don’t have a gearbox what made you decide on keeping a gearbox?

Given the way that the ICE is being pushed out at the moment I think you are on to a great idea.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
This will come across as a criticism of the idea, and it’s not at all meant that way:
- mounting a motor and batteries with a controller in a frame not designed for it will be a particular challenge and with a change in weight of the bike overall (assume it’s heavier with a battery pack) will affect the existing suspension and how the bike turns and handles (I would assume). If you use a smaller battery to save weight, mileage will suffer, so that limits the bike‘s utility.

I guess what I’m saying is that trying to convert an ICE bike to electric may be a time consuming exercise, expensive to buy the components to do it, and might be a real headache to get it all to work together vs planning a bike from zero to be an electric.

I’ve seen cars converted this way, and I think the idea is quite good...it’s just that you’re going to be limited in terms of miles on electric and if you can charge on the fly when out (think level 2 or 3 charging) or will you have to make sure not to ride out of a certain radius such that you can get the bike home to recharge.

I have researched the Zero bikes as well as the H-D electric and love the idea, but I think for a designed to be electric bike, there’s still a far way to go such that mileage isn’t such a huge limitation.

As for your project, if the cost to do it and the ‘tinker factor’ is what you want, then by all means, go for it- it would be very cool to see a Pan that can do some reasonable mileage on electric power (say, > 50 miles) and handle like the original.

Best of luck with the construction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom