The Latest Rumor-Suzuki sports tourer and GS rival on the way

Given the current economic recession/depression, Suzuki may wait several years to release their version of a sport-tourer. Suzuki models tend to be on the sporty side of a market segment. As a current owner of a 2008 Hayabusa, if this s-t model is actually released, I would almost certainly get one. Add a second engine counterbalancer, shaft drive, and keep the weight down.

Bear

I like fish.
I ran into a guy that had a Hayabusa. :p: I ended up with it for a while. I renamed it a Hayaursus :D

I can tell you, if the ergos where a little bit better, I could do with that engine on a sport tourer. It is a smooth engine, like a rabbits fur bottom smooth :)

I got to run now... I see one of those new K1300GT's running up the road. I have been eyeing those :p:

STOC #
As a whole... US market ;) The sale of DS bikes grew 30% last year, scooters were up 50% ;)
Ahh, ummm...well that's not what you said. :) But I agree the DS bikes did gain alot of ground in unit growth (KTM, Triumph and Buell Ulyusses probably helped that.) But for sheer numbers, sportbikes are still a huge seller in the US. Why? Because the stunters have reinvigorated that growth and are often neglected by us. You don't see them on the highways. But go to a deserted suburban four lane at night and they are swarming. I lurk on a local sportbike board and the number of stunter boyz are amazing. Why anyone would want to buy a 100+ hp bike just to do wheelies and stoppies all night it beyond me. :shrug2:

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I suspect any Suzuki based ST will be more like the Connie 14 than the ST1300. IOW, biased more toward SPORT than touring. Whether that's good or bad depends on your perspective, I suppose.

jduff8505

RDIV3.14
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
The B King isn't a lay down bike and it's got the busa engine. I hope they do this, I've been a Honda guy all my life until recently. Maybe it will make Honda wake up to more than 4 variants of bikes.

Jeff

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
NO comment until I see one. Someone has to put their money where their mouth is before I get my panties in a bunch.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
No thanks - I've never been impressed with their build quality.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Hi,
Fully faired, bags , top box. Humm ...... sounds like a BANDIT!!! It would be a easy segway to a full tourer right there...
easy peasy lemon squeezy...

mitch
I love my old Bandit (04) and the new 1250 is much better....good fairing, bags and shaft drive could make me think about one some day.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I continue to use my 05 Bandit as a sport tourer. Myself, I thoroughly enjoy the lighter weight aspect of the bike, and even though lighter, it's still more solid in the wind than my former ST. An aftermarket Russell takes care of the comfort issue easily enough for the wife and I. Chain is a non issue for me, easy-peasy to maintain if you know the easiest way to do it. My wife likes our Bandit setup with the Russell seat better than she did our ST1300 setup. That's mainly due to the wind she received on the back of the ST (I ALWAYS had to run with the windshield up when she was on). However that ST motor was awesome smooth. I hear the new Bandit engine is too, haven't tried it.

If Suzuki made a sport tourer close to the weight range of the ST I wouldn't purchase it. If it was about as light as the Bandit, I'd surely consider it. Thing is, if you are willing to own something other than a Honda, you throw factory bags and Russell seats on the current Bandit, and you are already there sport tourer wise, unless you happen to be a shafty freak or electronic windshield freak, all of which adds unneeded weight to my mind (though I can enjoy them if I have them, they aren't needed items in my own garage).

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
I ran into a guy that had a Hayabusa. :p: I ended up with it for a while. I renamed it a Hayaursus :D

I can tell you, if the ergos where a little bit better, I could do with that engine on a sport tourer. It is a smooth engine, like a rabbits fur bottom smooth :)

I got to run now... I see one of those new K1300GT's running up the road. I have been eyeing those :p:
I nominate Bear for Member of the Month!!! :bow1:

Not sure Shuey will agree though... :eek:::rolleyes:;):crackup

I hope it happens! I've been saying that for a while. Having owned a "Wee Strom" for several years I think the idea of dropping the 650 and 1000 to make a 800'ish DS is a GREAT idea! The BMW F-GS's seem to be doing great in sales. As far as a "Busa" sport-tourer, that would be a nice platform to begin with...Heck, isn't that EXACTLY what Kawasaki did? They took the ZX-14, strapped on bags, an electronic adjustable windscreen, shaft drive and VIOLA! A sport-tourer that is storming the market and winning comparisons left and right...I hope Suzuki does it! Another bike always means better bikes for everyone...

Bike
2007 ST1300
As a previous Hayabusa Owner (just sold it) I've always said that Suzuki should make a sport tourer out of that bike. The chassis was awsome ! Then motor butter smooth, no spikes in the power band and those brakes were superb. Oh and the sound of that engine :) no need for a radio.

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I've always liked Suzuki. If they bring it, I'll look at it for sure.

But it better have, 1) cruise control, 2) power windshield, 3) shaft or belt drive.

Steve

On my 2008 Hayabusa I have installed a gel seat, larger windscreen, helibars, and lowered the footpegs...Increased riding comfort dramatically. I have a tail-pack that I strap to the rear seat for weekend trips...FUN!!

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Suzi's build quality on that Busa never seems to come up, does it :) It would be the same on their ST :)

I've always liked Suzuki. If they bring it, I'll look at it for sure.

But it better have, 1) cruise control, 2) power windshield, 3) shaft or belt drive.

Steve

That combo I would buy. My DL 650K6 has been extremely reliable--the 'busa ST would be the bike I am looking for. :D

Bike
White ST1100AV
STOC #
Suzi's build quality on that Busa never seems to come up, does it :) It would be the same on their ST :)
I think the fact that the 'busa is often bought by squids and crashed at the next corner might have something to do with that, too many don't last long enough to uncover any build quality issues ;-)

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny

Hayabusa's have historically been very reliable...the fit and finish on my 2008 is fine. The typical owner actually is in in their thirties or forties with many years and many miles of riding experience.

Top Bottom