The less heat the better.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Having ridden three of these, 04, 09, 16, and never really thinking these are hot, and having been to the OCD bike lounge, tuning will lower the temperature. My 16 was tuned by @Igofar. I was present during the temperature readings. Mine wasn't particularly hot so the swing wasn't as dramatic.

The 04 was lacking some of the "improvements" Honda implemented after 08.

Anecdotally, when I'm not wearing quality gear, high boots, thick riding pants, heat is noticeable on my ankles. When I had Delkevics on the '16 that heat heat was gone. When I was down in FL with just kevlar jeans and high boots, somehow the right maintenance cover popped off. I managed to hold onto it until stopped at the destination. There were a few stop lights on the way. It was insanely hot on my leg. I put the cover back on and all was well.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Side of tank, side of frame spar, fairing near knees etc.
Every bike that comes through the garage is checked before and after with a heat gun at all the same locations etc.
Most run in the high 140 degree range before, and between 92-112 when finished.
I smile at all these guys who claim “we’ve tried everything, and did all the tune up stuff, and it made no difference”.
Only to be left speechless after I lower their temperatures with just a few simple tweaks here and there.
It’s all about paying attention to the smallest details….and not believing all the stupid YouTube videos, or the people who claim its not possible.:rofl1:
I certainly think I have to agree with the impact of proper tuning on operating temps. I noticed a difference on our 1100 after I rebuilt the carbs during a refurbishment. Stoplight heat wasn't much of a problem before but was obviously, seat of the pants, lower afterward.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm 3 days to surgery, and don't have the strength, nor the desire to engage in another debate with you at the moment.
You assume I'm claiming this was done with a starter valve sync alone.
Nowhere in my post did I claim this.
A few simple tweaks here and there was what I typed.
But as always, you try to discredit anything I do, and claim it is not possible.
Why don't you message several of the folks in my review section, that have stood here, watched, and saw the results first hand for themselves, as there have been MANY.
Contact them, and try to convince them that they are wrong.
I'm sure that will keep you busy defending yourself for a while, and allow me to rest.
;)
Please don't confuse skepticism based on mechanical principles and natural law with ill will. When I raise a point of disagreement it's not meant to jam you up or discredit you. I always try and support my beliefs with some sort of technical evidence that can be proven repeatedly. That is the scientific method.

Larry, I am sure you will do well during and after surgery. Better than new is the prayer! Like many of us here and elsewhere pulling and praying for you I do the same as I have since your wife's illness years ago and your several illnesses since then. Nothing will change that.

Bike
CBR500R
These heat threads are getting about on the same level as tires and oil. We are beating a dead horse here.
But in over 50 years of riding I have tuned all of my bikes myself so good or bad they would be in similar state of tune.
The ST is the only one that I could not ride on a hot day.

Hey maddog 13. You aren't kidding. I haven't heard very often of motorcycle riders not complaining about heat. I have ridden in 100 plus degree weather and damn that was hot. I kinda thought that is part of sitting on top of engine.
. I have read that wrapping the pipes causes increased erosion in the inner side of the pipe but have not heard from anyone .....ever.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
These heat threads are getting about on the same level as tires and oil. We are beating a dead horse here.
But in over 50 years of riding I have tuned all of my bikes myself so good or bad they would be in similar state of tune.
The ST is the only one that I could not ride on a hot day.
So your saying you just need to learn how to tune your ST better than you have been doing.
I can teach old dogs, new tricks, and raise the bar for you.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Hey maddog 13. You aren't kidding. I haven't heard very often of motorcycle riders not complaining about heat. I have ridden in 100 plus degree weather and damn that was hot. I kinda thought that is part of sitting on top of engine.
. I have read that wrapping the pipes causes increased erosion in the inner side of the pipe but have not heard from anyone .....ever.
I guess not many ST riders have ridden Harley’s sitting on top of a cylinder with temps over 240 degrees, just inches away from the boys:rofl1:
I’ve ridden my ST with board shorts, and sneakers, on days with temperatures above 110 degrees, and was still not as uncomfortable as some of these folks cry about.
As far as wrapping the pipes, I’ve never cut one open to check the inside, but have replaced several header pipes due to rust, pitting, and corrosion caused by the wrap.
I built a frame up build on a TLR200 trials bike (real one, not a reflex) and installed a brand new stainless header pipe, and wrapped it, only to have it rusted out and pitted after just one season.
I’ve also seen more damage than many here on ST plastics and wire harnesses caused by heat issues from using it.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Can any of the "improvements" be retrofitted?
The one that comes to mind is the left panel cover at the preload adjuster. I'm vaguely remembering a piece of plastic here and a rubber mat there... It's definitely been discussed on the board. I recall the theory being to let the heat out the rear and not the sides.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
We Texans do it all the time - dead of summer, 104+ humid heat, and wearing ATGATT. And summer here ain't 2-3 months :thumb:
I did my Jax-SDO 50CC the weekend between July and August. It climbed above 100 F at 11 AM in MS and stayed 100-104 to near Kerrville. The next day it was over 100 for half of the 850 miles. 4 lbs of ice in my Roadcrafter would last gas stop to gas stop 225 to 250 miles.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
True enough but there's no need whatsoever to take cheap shots. Something like "I don't see the the science in that" is nothing like "You're a F'n liar!"

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
We Texans do it all the time - dead of summer, 104+ humid heat, and wearing ATGATT. And summer here ain't 2-3 months :thumb:
I did my Jax-SDO 50CC the weekend between July and August. It climbed above 100 F at 11 AM in MS and stayed 100-104 to near Kerrville. The next day it was over 100 for half of the 850 miles. 4 lbs of ice in my Roadcrafter would last gas stop to gas stop 225 to 250 miles.
Uh those are days I go out and look at my ST. Check the temperature and go back in and have a lemonade and watch some TV or a movie.

Hat's off (literally!) to your lot.
—Fair Weather Rider

Bike
CBR500R
So your saying you just need to learn how to tune your ST better than you have been doing.
I can teach old dogs, new tricks, and raise the bar for you.
Unfortunately my ST and I hit some sand in corner last spring and I sent it into the ditch on it own. The insurance company wrote it off so now I have the CBR in my cover photo.

And that's when it is cooling down in the evening, right?

What is the Max you have ever read on your gauge? Mine never seems to display anything over 117.
I honestly can't recall - it's a memory issue I have. Plus, I only glance at the gas gauge and speedo occasionally. Well, okay, I only glance at the number of bars for engine temp

Top Bottom