The Paulcb coldest ride of Winter 2022-2023

we had a mix of -4C low / 7C high and sunny last few days; my insurance was up yesterday so that was it for me, some road salt to clean up and that's it for me,
don't push your luck.

Reactions: Obo
It was cold outside but I went in the house anyway prioritizing sleep.
Laid down in bed, looked at the temperature a few miles away, looked at the list, mention the numbers to sweetheart, she says “go, be careful, you could be in first place for a day, go, watch out for ice”. I say salt too, I’ll be careful.
If 15 miles is the qualifier I may as well go for a ride. 42 miles.
Heated jacket, pants, gloves, socks and grips.

13 degrees.
Nice ride.

Be careful, careful as I was I slid on a sheet of salt in a slow tight turn.
Best part was seeing another motorcycle on the road at 1:20am shortly after this pic.B6DDF25A-1497-4CF1-882E-C2BCA50CCB1D.jpeg

@sirbike sliding is never a good thing unless your dirt biking. Glad you made it safe and sound.

We're at -8C but with the snow on Saturday there's a lot of grit, visible and black ice on the roads. My daily riding season is likely kaput except for the odd day here and there.

That looks like conditions I usually look outside and then go back to bed. I'm also now not so inclined to get up in the middle of the night to do a cold ride. Did that once... in 2011. Was about the same time in the morning too. Rode about 60 miles that time for just a bit cooler than -15 F. But now if I look out the window when the sun is up and see roads like that I generally go back to bed.

Tell your sweetheart that I think you will stay at the top of the list for at least another week... maybe.

If I were able to get out I might have been at the same temp Saturday morning. But I was out of town visiting my son in Lafayette. Where high temps were about 50 F last week and lows were around 45 F. Now I'm back home in Iowa where the high temps this week are expected to be... about 50 F. But the lows here are expected to be 23-38 F.

I actually have an entry now, but no worries -- the top polar bears can keep their growling order.
My clock works on Central Time, and my thermometer works in Fahrenheit. My fuel gauge measures in approximations, but accepts gallons. Are we "imperial"? I doubt it.
Funnily enough, the themo-thingy actually showed me 32 degrees at the start of my ride home, but I foolishly forgot to snap the evidence. This was after the sun went down, and I had no electrics with me. I figured, heck, I can ride 25 miles.
Need to find my balaclavas that evacuated from my winter wear storage box... but I sure do appreciate the wind protection on the ST1300. Hands got cold.
EDIT: the clock shows 3 hours earlier than actuality, as we disconnected the battery while adding trailer wiring. The clock measures in minutes, and hours.

Attachments

• 11.20 36 degrees.jpg
    11.20 36 degrees.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 12
Per the current rules there is really no need "to snap the evidence" since this is being conducted on the honor system. So we all hope everyone will be honest about what they report. And if anyone desires to post a photo that's great too.

Per the current rules there is really no need "to snap the evidence" since this is being conducted on the honor system. So we all hope everyone will be honest about what they report. And if anyone desires to post a photo that's great too.

I think the contest charter rules clearly state that a notarized proof of temperature and distance is required in triplicate along with the entry fee in order to obtain the cash prize payout.....

It's been years since I participated, my record back then was -16C (3F). I had an opportunity a few days ago to bump most of you down the list, but it was a last minute thing and neither I or the bike was prepared.... I may get another opportunity, have no aspirations of bumping the top or winning, and I may in fact not do it at all. Warm spell going on here for the next few days, can barely make the list.
Always fun to watch this. Remember back in the day the record was -30F and I barely stayed on the list. Do what's sensible, be safe out there.

Several years ago the top spot was held by @The Dan at -23 F. I thought I remembered that he did a -30 F one year but those lists are off the page.

That's a cold one. My lowest was -9F in 1981 (pre heated gear) but had snowmobile suit, & boots, full helmet balaclava, Vetter fairing and hippo hands on my GS 850G Suzuki

Lowest in modern times is -2 F

vfcIVsV.jpg

but we don't get below zero much here in Cincinnati

Was 13 F this morning. But no ride for me. Yesterday morning, at about 4:15 am the room started spinning... FAST. Caused a lot of nausea. When the spinning slowed down I stumbled to the bathroom and tried to pay homage to the porcelain idol in there but to no avail. Only 15 minutes earlier I had to get up for a different kind of visit there and was feeling fine. The vertigo came on very suddenly. Later in the morning I did make several "offerings." Now feeling much better but still sometimes things begin to spin a bit. Very different than I've ever experienced. I've been dizzy from being sick before but nothing like true severe vertigo. Felt like I was strapped into one of those astronaut training centrifuges for too long. Next week it is supposed to get back down to those temps again. But for the next several days we are once again in a "heat" wave.

Was 13 F this morning. But no ride for me. Yesterday morning, at about 4:15 am the room started spinning... FAST. Caused a lot of nausea. When the spinning slowed down I stumbled to the bathroom and tried to pay homage to the porcelain idol in there but to no avail. Only 15 minutes earlier I had to get up for a different kind of visit there and was feeling fine. The vertigo came on very suddenly. Later in the morning I did make several "offerings." Now feeling much better but still sometimes things begin to spin a bit. Very different than I've ever experienced. I've been dizzy from being sick before but nothing like true severe vertigo. Felt like I was strapped into one of those astronaut training centrifuges for too long. Next week it is supposed to get back down to those temps again. But for the next several days we are once again in a "heat" wave.
BPPV

Dang rjs. Hope you feel better. It was 21f here this morning, but since Im not playing this year I waited until it got up to 38 to ride lol.

My mom just turned 94 and has suffered from regular episodes of vertigo for several years. She uses a walker now to keep her upright... with good brakes, but not ABS, and a seat to rest when she cannot move forward.
I was hoping at the moment it was first happening that I wouldn't be subjected to regular bouts of vertigo as that would definitely end my riding since it is in the family. But it does seem to be much better now. Only an occasional hint of it once in a big while, but nothing like it was yesterday morning and no more nausea since then. Oh, and I never had any other symptoms of the flu like I usually get other than when I get the flu it's a flush feeling and slight headache and joint aches (in every bone joint) but not in the stomach.

Monday I had to get the St1100 Hannigan out after work so I rode the 13.5 miles there at 5:30 in the 23F without the heated socks because it was 38 after work for a nice 60 mile cruise. Yes, the sidecar gave me confidence up my short icy gravel road and on the frosty spots that just happen on the tar. Well worth it to get in that ride after work. Something about the power and grunt of the ST just encourages me twist the throttle liberally way more than practical.

I know the chair is a bit of a cheater, but if we stay clear a two wheel bike will probably be the choice during daylight this weekend. Then there was last winter before the beastly Ural got sold....10 degrees on mostly icy snow covered gravel roads. The trick was to avoid as much as possible the tar because of salt for the1669940107618.png folks that can't figure out how much more effective snow tires are. Will see what this winter brings....

1669940107618.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom