The Rocky Road

What exactly does one do when all the Buffalo are ambling south and you are riding north, all on the same road? I noticed a calf, and rule #1 is not to get between a mamma bear (buff, lion, elephant, tiger, pick your animal) and her baby.

What exactly does one do when all the Buffalo are ambling south and you are riding north, all on the same road? I noticed a calf, and rule #1 is not to get between a mamma bear (buff, lion, elephant, tiger, pick your animal) and her baby.
Not exactly sure of protocol but, I put down the kickstand, shut off the bike and looked at escape routes. None of them seemed to concerned, they were in no kind of hurry.

Not exactly sure of protocol but, I put down the kickstand, shut off the bike and looked at escape routes. None of them seemed to concerned, they were in no kind of hurry.
That is what I did as well when I was surrounded by a herd of them not far from Yellowstone. It was unnerving when some of them came quite close to check me out. I knew that the bike would not hold them back if they decided to charge, and I also knew that I couldn't out run them. They took a few sniffs from a few feet away and then just toddled on their way.

I am so going to do this. I mean opposite direction, stop more places, not quite so far and starting this weekend, but yeah. Gotta figure a route home where I swing by Devil's Tower. Never saw that in person..

I am so going to do this. I mean opposite direction, stop more places, not quite so far and starting this weekend, but yeah. Gotta figure a route home where I swing by Devil's Tower. Never saw that in person..
Last week I saw that entry from the East was easy, while from the West was a 14 mile backup at Yellowstone... just an FYI. I am thinking about going around Teton and coming back in from the south. If you go to the tower first and then come back it will be a breeze.

Left the Seattle area this morning and headed back East. Taking Rt 20 Aka North Cascade Highway. Starts around 1000’ elv and climbs to around 5k. Stunning, it should be a National Treasure. East of the Cascades become semi arid, a bit like Wyoming. Stopped in a great “old” town, best I’ve seen, lunch, gas and off to Republic WA for the cleanest and most beautiful camp ground I’ve been in.
842D4DEA-8577-4E78-9C3D-328BD91B05A8.jpeg
BD790876-BEAE-4028-9183-1031AB9C0D73.jpeg
FE840B78-F716-430A-B51E-403DD566BB0D.jpeg
Gold Mountain RV Park and Tipi Rental in WA
(509) 775-3700

Back
Top Bottom