The Tale of two Tip Overs (almost three!)

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
The first tip over of mt ST was at work. I park against the building but after everyone buggers off for the day (I work 1pm-midnight) I like to move it to a shadier sopt and normally point it towards the door I leave by so I can see the deadbolt is actually locked. That time I for what ever reason decided to point it down hill and bumped the side stand...and didn't notice. I started to get off and realized it was not stopping where it should then it slowly toppled. Learned that Yes, it is rather easy to lift one especially an empty one.

I almost dropped it again when it died outside Benton, AR on my trip to Michigan. Twas dark (after midnight) and I did not realize I was that close to the shoulder, and said shoulder was very soft dirt. Bike was fully loaded and I got my knee in the "tank" relief and managed to just barely stop it....and almost dropped it the other way as I had not been able to get the stand down. This was the most strenuous work righting the bike I've had and yet it wasn't dropped:)

Dropped it at work again when it snowed and covered the ice patches so I could not tell where they were. didn't even really come off it then...just stepped off to stand it back up...the next fall was at higher speed and damaged the crash bar so I don't count it as a tip over...when you need to walk more then ten steps to get back to the bike I think it is a crash...minor, but a crash none the less. Don't ride in snow unless it is deep enough! Better yet..Ride The XL250!

edit:
man I musta been sick then..I forgot a drop!
I was having migraines a few months back and although I went into work, I left within the houre of arrival...but was very hungry so I stopped at BK to grab a meal.
Pulled into a parking spot, stopped, and got a bit dizzy and next thing I know I am stepping off the bike. Pried it back up (fell on the right side so I put the side stand down first) and plopped it on to the stand, walked in and was asked "You going to make it home on that?" shhhh!.."Yeah. I'll be fine."

Got my WhopJr and wound my way home.

Can't believe I forgot about this one...egad....my head was really killing me though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Looks like you've got your required drops in for this year. From now on: no drops!:)
Welcome to the TOT forums. We've all been there and done that.
The bike is a year and a month old ...errr...to me anyhow. I got it last June, put 20,000 miles on it since.
I hope that is all for ever.

Well, most, but not all!..;)
Show off! (~_^):bow1:

Good thing we aint adding up our falls on a DP like my XL or the old Reflex..I'm not sure I can remember all of those. Especially riding in the snow...at 40 or so....Whee

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Show off! (~_^):bow1:

Good thing we aint adding up our falls on a DP like my XL or the old Reflex..I'm not sure I can remember all of those. Especially riding in the snow...at 40 or so....Whee
I figure sooner or later it will happen, but I haven't "dropped" a bike since my '83 650 Nighthawk went forward off its kickstand back in 83 or 84. I've just been real careful with them since! ;)

OP
OP
JPKalishek

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I figure sooner or later it will happen, but I haven't "dropped" a bike since my '83 650 Nighthawk went forward off its kickstand back in 83 or 84. I've just been real careful with them since! ;)
I actually never dropped the others...just crashed them...especially in dirt and snow (all part of the fun then, but it anint a big crash either) but then you can pick them up with one hand on a grip so it ain't a surprise....now a fully gassed and loaded ST? I am still very surprised and ecstatic I managed not to tip off the side of I30. it was a bad slope too and getting it back up unloaded would have been a chore.

P.S. hope you maintain the tip free too.

Top Bottom