The tragic story of the bad bearing--Part 2

For those of you who read about my attempts to change the rear bearing in my ST1300, here is an update.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76650

Bearing story......Updated

I have been dealing with a local Bearing Specialty house here in Bakersfield.......Kaman Bearings. When I ordered the RNA4905 bearing, I did not know it didn't come with a race. Friday afternoon after getting it(Timkin), and finding it wouldn't work, I called Kaman and ordered 2 6905.2RS bearings. Direct replacements for the Honda 6905 RS, except that it has a rubber seal on both sides(2 RS) rather than one side like the Honda's.
I went down to pick up the bearings today, and got the sticker shock of my life. Everyone else in town has been telling me the bearings are $17 - $19 but they would have to order them. Honda wanted $10.35 or so for theirs. Kaman wanted $66 ea, out the door cost would have been $144 for two little bearings. Their justification was that they were imported quality bearings(KYS ??, KSO??), made in Japan. When I objected to the price, they said they could get me Chinese bearings at $2.12 ea.
I told them to forget it, then called CBR and talked to Charley. Bad news, replacement roller bearings with the race wiill be out of stock till Friday. They all have been sucked up by ST1300 riders.
More bad news, CBR has a price increase from $34 up to $43 for the RNA4905 bearing and race.
Good news, the race can be purchased seperately for those who might run into a similar problem. Race number is LRTZ253018. Which is apparently its physical dimensions.
If I knew then what I know now, I think that I would pull one bearing during the first tire change, and repack it with some good High Temp Disc Brake Wheel Bearing grease with moly. Since the Honda uses bearing sealed only on one side, and the open sides are facing each other inside, I think the new extra grease would probably help a lot.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Sailor, you must be a patient man. I'd be in tears by now. Sounds like you have a handle on it finally. You will be able to help the next poor sap that has the same problem.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Are you going to wait it out for CBR to get the bearings? I have a complete set of OEM rear bearing that I will mail to you tomorrow .. you will get them on Wednesday (maybe Thursday).

Let me know.

Ummm, Guys, Why exactly would you need to order 10 bearings at a time. For that matter, why would you need to order any until they fail..... I have over 700 thousand miles on bikes and almost every bike I have owned had more than 100k on it by the time I got rid of it. I have changed one set of bearings on a Sportster due to some Jack A** using a pressure washer and causing it to rust. Did not fail, but did not like the look of it. The only others I have replaced were on my Buell (a number of times) and that was not the bearings but rather the bearings spinning in the POS wheel. (Yeah, I had to spend the damned $200 for a new wheel once)

Wheel bearings should last at least 100 thousand miles. Really should last much more. If not, someone screwed up.

This goes for steering bearings also.

If it breaks, make it stronger, bigger or heavier. 8^)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have replaced wheel bearings several times. The front wheel bearings are the same as those used on several smaller Hondas, probably not quite big enuff for the job.

I've also replaced steering head bearings. My silver 91 got tapered bearings at 30,000 miles. She now has 186,000 and she's due again. Replaced the steering bearing (also after market tapered) at 150,000. They had over 120,000 and had noticeable notches. Bearings, like all other parts, do wear out.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Ummm, Guys, Why exactly would you need to order 10 bearings at a time. For that matter, why would you need to order any until they fail..... I have over 700 thousand miles on bikes and almost every bike I have owned had more than 100k on it by the time I got rid of it. I have changed one set of bearings on a Sportster due to some Jack A** using a pressure washer and causing it to rust. Did not fail, but did not like the look of it. The only others I have replaced were on my Buell (a number of times) and that was not the bearings but rather the bearings spinning in the POS wheel. (Yeah, I had to spend the damned $200 for a new wheel once)

Wheel bearings should last at least 100 thousand miles. Really should last much more. If not, someone screwed up.

This goes for steering bearings also.

If it breaks, make it stronger, bigger or heavier. 8^)
It's not that simple. I had over 150,000 on my wheels bearings in the HD. These ones they are talking about are in the diff. We see them from time to time failing. Honda has a little problem here. We try to keep one in stock because it's the same as a VTX and others. They go bad. Not sure why.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Ummm, Guys, Why exactly would you need to order 10 bearings at a time. For that matter, why would you need to order any until they fai...lsnip... 8^)
I bought the ten pack to help out a buddy and fiq I'd need them too down the road... cheap insurance. They prob aren't Jap quality but since they get checked every tire change I fiq I see a problem coming.
Heck, I even cary a set in the tool bag for the longer trips and or others.

One thing I can say tho, I popped off the seal on thse and repacked with top quality grease - I didn't like the basic axel grease in it... went with high temp.

Top Bottom