Thermostat FYI

Bike
ST 1300 - 2010
If you are ever traveling and your thermostat goes the Dihatsu Terrios use the same one our bike does

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
And you know that how?
At what temperature does it work?
Does it have a small vent at the top?
More Is involved than fitting into the housing.
Would like to know what info you found.

OP
OP
M Rogers
Bike
ST 1300 - 2010
And you know that how?
I live in Costa Rica so parts are very expensive. So I took the thermostat to an old timer who runs a radiator shop

He knew instantly what it was. Sure enough Dihatsu Terrios 82 degrees everything was spot on except the extension piece on our stock models. Still works the same.

This car model is popular in central and sout America so long distance travelers should know it’s an option

Bike
2010 ST1300
And you know that how?
Larry, Other guys have posted that other thermostats work in our 1300's. Do these check out as comparable to the OEM?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, after all these years a possible non-OEM 186F replacement. In the 1.3 liter Dihatsu manual diagram I found the thermostat even installs vertically like the ST1300's and has the jiggle valve to vent air through the housing.

Dims:

Attachments

Before anyone gets one of these, understand that the dimensions are not even close to the stock thermostat. The OEM thermostat is 44 mm diameter (Specifically 1.735") not the 52mm found for the Daihatsu. Not to mention that the OEM are off center. I have the old Part Number off the package from a Turbo Tom part. it was MotoRad 327-180. There is no longer such a part on the MotoRad site. I did a search on size, and there are very few that look like they would fit, but there are a few, at least according to O'Reilly's auto parts. Some are shorter, but that should not be a problem. Would love a link to other posts with substitute part numbers.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I wonder what company manufactures the thermostat for Honda. If we could find out who, perhaps we could work backwards from there to find other OEM applications for the same part.

I kind of doubt that Honda would have either specified or manufactured (themselves) a unique thermostat for this motorcycle - it would have increased their manufacturing expense compared to buying an existing, available part from a Tier 1 supplier.

Same thinking as what Honda did with the radiator cap - they specified one that was already in use on other vehicles.

Michael

I think all thermostats have a weep hole. Only way to move water accross the stat to produce function.

I think all thermostats have a weep hole. Only way to move water accross the stat to produce function.
Some have a hole, and some don't. The turbo tom one had both a hole and the jiggle valve. Some thermostats are centered, and some are off center. The st1300 one has a jiggle valve. And is off center. The stock one tends to fail open which is good. But it would be nice to have one to use in an emergency. It's not always possible to get a thermostat on a day you need it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Did not someone post that a stat from a Civic or other Honda model was the same as the one in the ST?

Did not someone post that a stat from a Civic or other Honda model was the same as the one in the ST?
I don't think so, not for the 1300. I think some have found one for the 1100. I am tempted to just spend the $11 for the one I listed in another thread and measure it up. Maybe even try it some time, just to see.

Top Bottom