Thermostat Housing Q

Bike
2010 ST1300
There is a small cast bump - more of a low cylinder - on the outside of the spigot of the thermostat cover. I noticed a white paint dot (nice and neat like an intentional mark) on the outside of the radiator hose that fits to the stat's cover spigot. Are these supposed to line up - are they a guide to how the hose goes on the thermostat cover? The old hose had a white stripe that was positioned to align with this bump (well, pretty close - I made a mark and its slightly off).

How do you guys get the hoses on these fittings? After cleaning the metal the hoses fight me tooth and nail when I try to put them on. Do you use any kind of lube besides anti freeze? (Maybe its back to the gym for me.)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
There is a small cast bump - more of a low cylinder - on the outside of the spigot of the thermostat cover. I noticed a white paint dot (nice and neat like an intentional mark) on the outside of the radiator hose that fits to the stat's cover spigot. Are these supposed to line up - are they a guide to how the hose goes on the thermostat cover? The old hose had a white stripe that was positioned to align with this bump (well, pretty close - I made a mark and its slightly off).

How do you guys get the hoses on these fittings? After cleaning the metal the hoses fight me tooth and nail when I try to put them on. Do you use any kind of lube besides anti freeze? (Maybe its back to the gym for me.)
Same as the 1100, those hoses are a bear to get on. I used a water based lube (found near the condoms in a drug store) which won't leave any residue or oils to harm the rubber. Helps a bit.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think you can see how the hose should line up based on the path it will take. If the marks line up there's your answer. I can't remember myself.

I generally just use a swipe of coolant to get a hose on but if it's really tough going I'll use a very light smear of SylGlide or similar silicone grease on the ID of the hose.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've use WD40 to get my hoses on, I've never had any issue with them from using it.

And yes, the marks are to align the hose with the housing.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Same as the 1100, those hoses are a bear to get on. I used a water based lube (found near the condoms in a drug store) which won't leave any residue or oils to harm the rubber. Helps a bit.
I've used KY jelly for a LOT of ahhhh nontraditional uses over the years. Didn't think about it this time.

I think you can see how the hose should line up based on the path it will take. If the marks line up there's your answer. I can't remember myself.

I generally just use a swipe of coolant to get a hose on but if it's really tough going I'll use a very light smear of SylGlide or similar silicone grease on the ID of the hose.
I was afraid a dab of silicone grease would be too slippery and the hose would blow off while I was riding. Glad I'm not going where no man has gone before.

I've use WD40 to get my hoses on, I've never had any issue with them from using it.

And yes, the marks are to align the hose with the housing.
Thanks, Bob.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
A short spray of Armor All or silicone based tire shine will also work, just use a finger to spread it around the ID of the hose. Don't get any on your tires.

Top Bottom