Thermostat Housing Sensor Wire Broken

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I accidentally broke one of the wires that goes to the temperature sensor in the thermostat housing. Assuming I lengthen the wires a bit with good quality butt joints, is the female portion of the sensor connector repairable or do I need to find some sort of used part with the wires still intact?

Edit: added picture
connector.png

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
I accidentally broke one of the wires that goes to the temperature sensor in the thermostat housing. Assuming I lengthen the wires a bit with good quality butt joints, is the female portion of the sensor connector repairable or do I need to find some sort of used part with the wires still intact?
i'm assuming the wire is not sticking out of the connector. You can pull the terminal out solder a short wire to it. They, auto parts stores, amazon , sell pig tails but you have to match them by pictures,. https://www.google.com/search?client=avast-a-1&sca_esv=a68b17fda2b0776e&q=single++coolant+temp+pigtail&tbm=isch&source=

OP
OP
NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Really appreciate the response, @Al st1100 . I have ordered a new pigtail and depinning tools and am resigned that this colossal screw-up is the price to pay for my impatience. The bike has been down for a month while I do the coolant hoses and other things. The only hose I haven't finished yet (and I may not) is one that appears to go from the left block to the wax thing. I might not bother with that one even though I have the part.

Sometimes life teaches you that it's not a sprint it's a marathon.

Fortunately the "11451" numbering made the lookup easy.

OP
OP
NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
The pigtail arrived yesterday and I managed to get the wiring taken care of. Additionally, I finished installing the last cooling hose (from left-front block to thermal switch), moved the temp sensor to the new thermostat housing, and reinstalled all the cooling system. I managed to do all of this without ever removing the throttle bodies. Harbor Freight supplied a bunch of the tools (straight, 45 degree, and 90 degree long-noise pliers, long-reach hose grip pliers (these were a lifesaver), and some other bits, along with a Crescent 2 Piece X2 Straight and Bent Long Nose pliers set.

Part of the reason this project has taken me so long is that I'm only able to work on it every few days for a few hours each day, but as of right now (assuming I didn't mess anything up), this is what remains:

1. refill cooling system w/new coolant
2. reinstall air box and related
3. reinstall upper fuel tank
4. add some fuel
5. replace oil filter because I removed it to get at the cooling system hoses and it's messed up, or maybe just do an O/C. I don't have the mileage handy.
6. final drive oil
7. Go through a start/burp/heat/cool cycle for the cooling system
8. Button everything back up

I have a list somewhere that is all of the above and more. I may tackle a valve inspection and (as needed) adjustment before I to much further. According to my notes, each cylinder of the right bank has one exhaust valve that is 9 thousands, and one of them is (according to my notes, Nov 2018), "a bit tight". I've got 30K+ miles on it since then.

I think this is the most difficult job I've ever done on this bike, and that includes the output shaft seal and r-and-r of the suspension.

Top Bottom