Thermostat replaced now ABS light flashing

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
I took my bike in to have the thermostat replaced under warranty. I got it back and a couple days later my ABS light starts flashing on the way into work. On the way home however all is fine. It's been a week and the light has flashed on the way into work 3 times, but always goes out for the ride home. What could be causing this issue? The bike is not under warranty, the dealer just replaced the Tstat as a courtesy.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
What sequence is it flashing ? There was a code listing somewhere here or info re same on the site.

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
It just flashing as I am going down the road, no particular sequence that I have noticed and keeps flashing until I turn the bike off.

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
Ok, so I checked the plug on top of the air box and it is plugged in. I turned off the engine by using the killswitch and left the ignition on and there is no change in the flashing. I have not had a problem with it until tonight when it turned on again. I will look into jumping the diagnostic plug have to figure out how to do that.

I did notice the last 2 times the light started flashing I was turning right coming down an on ramp to get onto the highway at about 35mph.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The sidestand trick and the connector at the top of the air box are related to the ECU, and since your FI light isn't giving you any trouble, that's not where to look.

If the ABS light's been on at all (other than part of the normal start-up sequence), the ABS computer will have stored a fault code, which you can retrieve using this procedure: CLICKY.

Let us know what codes you get and one of us will look it up in the manual.

--Mark

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Two blinkies is the front wheel speed sensor, which the manual says could be a problem with the sensor, pulser ring, wiring harness, ABS computer, tire or wheel. It also notes that riding for long periods on bumpy roads may cause this condition.

If the dealer removed the front wheel to work on it, things may have been put together incorrectly.

--Mark

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
I did notice the last 2 times the light started flashing I was turning right coming down an on ramp to get onto the highway at about 35mph.

Maybe you have a loose connector at the ABS sensor as a result of your statement above.

Please let us know what resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Dale :)

+1 for taking the front wheel off and making sure everything is in order, especially the spacers, they need to be on the correct side, seeing as the spacers are different sizes.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Justin ,I,m in agreement in the must have loosened a wire on the abs or knocked one loose ! Let us know what you find out !

:slv13: MIKE

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
Ok, I am going to bring this thread from a long sleep. My problem seems to have gone away during the summer, but is back in the cooler months. I have also noticed that the light only seems to start flashing on cloverleaf style highway on-ramps. Has done it to me twice in the last month. I have checked everything and I have found nothing. I also snapped some pictures of the wheel to see if anyone thinks things look off.

Attachments

schla

STOC #7008
Bike
04 ST1300A
STOC #
me thinks that your wheel sensor is outta whack or damaged and needs replacing. I just changed my front tire and this happened to me today. The shop I took the removed tire to swapped the spacers on me and I did not notice until I tried to put the wheel back on, and I suspect I might have inadvertently damaged the sensor. trying to locate cost for the replacement...

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Ok, I am going to bring this thread from a long sleep. My problem seems to have gone away during the summer, but is back in the cooler months. I have also noticed that the light only seems to start flashing on cloverleaf style highway on-ramps. Has done it to me twice in the last month. I have checked everything and I have found nothing. I also snapped some pictures of the wheel to see if anyone thinks things look off.
Check and make sure the pulsar ring is not cracked. Check for hairline crack in the pulsar ring. Contracts in the cold and expands in the heat. Cloverleaf turns could flex a cracked ring and cause it to separate causing the abs light to come on. also check to make sure that your sensor is at the correct gap. If your bike is older than 06 you should have a gap/feeler gauge in your tool kit.

Top Bottom