Thermostat replacement

Bike
‘19 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Decided to do the radiator flush/thermostat replacement while the cowling was off for other work. Parts arrived today (also included front pads). Purchased out of http://www.adeptpowersports.com/

20200831_200427[1].jpg

I don't have any records of any thermostat replacement in the maintenance history of the bike (I'm the third owner). Just over 32K on the clock.

Found some old coolant deposit around the thermostat housing. The wet coolant is seepage from when I loosened the bolts.

20200828_123936_HDR[1].jpg

I dismounted the fans and gave the radiator a thorough flush, including removing the well-documented paint deposits from inside the inlet port.

20200829_095243[1].jpg 20200829_094929[1].jpg

Was it a fairly easy job? I'm right around the same mileage, and have no service records. I will most likely attempt this soon, along with a few other maintenance projects.

OP
OP
triospec
Bike
‘19 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Was it a fairly easy job? I'm right around the same mileage, and have no service records. I will most likely attempt this soon, along with a few other maintenance projects.
Pretty straightforward. the radiator is three bolts and a few hoses (large and small). the fan electrical connector mounting clips (2) are a bit tricky. you must get a small thin screwdriver into the correct slot to release the clip from the radiator mount.

As with most of the ST routine maintenance items, the biggest "challenge" is pulling/replacing the cowlings. But even that, with practice, can become routine.

Pretty straightforward. the radiator is three bolts and a few hoses (large and small). the fan electrical connector mounting clips (2) are a bit tricky. you must get a small thin screwdriver into the correct slot to release the clip from the radiator mount.

As with most of the ST routine maintenance items, the biggest "challenge" is pulling/replacing the cowlings. But even that, with practice, can become routine.

Thanks!

Bike
2010 ST1300
When you pull the radiator (if you do), tilt it forward at the bottom after removing the bolts to remove it from the top hook. This is not documented in the manual, but makes removal very easy. If you don't tilt the radiator, you will wonder why it refuses to come off - until you bend something.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a step by sterp pdf tutorial with pictures that details a coolant change and thermostat change. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.

Is it suggested to replace any of the hoses? Obviously, if they are in bad condition upon inspection, but as a general rule without inspection first.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Is it suggested to replace any of the hoses? Obviously, if they are in bad condition upon inspection, but as a general rule without inspection first.
Short answer, no. Many many guys have reported that the hoses are in great condition after 15 years or more. I have had an unpleasant experience w/ radiator hoses, so my personal opinion is at odds with the 'no'. At 8 years, I decided to replace all the hoses on my 1300 and ordered them. I found then to be in good condition, but, since I was heading for the thermostat, and since there was a visible difference in quality between new and old, I started to swap them out. When I got to the stat housing, I found there are hoses that exit aft - Larry said they are reachable but I have no idea how he does this. Note that I was going in by removing the radiator, the other way is to pull the tank, air box, snorkles, throttlebodies, and do it from the top with everything exposed. I gave up and simply replaced what was easily accessible*, changed the clamps and closed it all up. No leaks since then.

Btw, a dab of silicone grease on the spigots will help you to slide new hoses onto the radiator should you change them. Do not overtighten the hose clamps, it is possible to collapse the tube coming out of the radiator.

*I changed the big hoses off the radiator, the overflow hose, and I think one more rubber hose in that area. The smaller ones that exit the back of the stat housing are still on my shelf.

Short answer, no. Many many guys have reported that the hoses are in great condition after 15 years or more. I have had an unpleasant experience w/ radiator hoses, so my personal opinion is at odds with the 'no'. At 8 years, I decided to replace all the hoses on my 1300 and ordered them. I found then to be in good condition, but, since I was heading for the thermostat, and since there was a visible difference in quality between new and old, I started to swap them out. When I got to the stat housing, I found there are hoses that exit aft - Larry said they are reachable but I have no idea how he does this. Note that I was going in by removing the radiator, the other way is to pull the tank, air box, snorkles, throttlebodies, and do it from the top with everything exposed. I gave up and simply replaced what was easily accessible*, changed the clamps and closed it all up. No leaks since then.

Btw, a dab of silicone grease on the spigots will help you to slide new hoses onto the radiator should you change them. Do not overtighten the hose clamps, it is possible to collapse the tube coming out of the radiator.

*I changed the big hoses off the radiator, the overflow hose, and I think one more rubber hose in that area. The smaller ones that exit the back of the stat housing are still on my shelf.
Thank you!

Southeastern corner of Arizona, planet earth!
Bike
05 ST 1300 hack'd
I have a step by sterp pdf tutorial with pictures that details a coolant change and thermostat change. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.
Hello Sir. Could you please email me the tutorial on thermostat replacement? I need to do this ,and it would be very helpful.
Thanks
Rick Duarte

bigbikerrick@hotmail.com

I’m new to this extremely helpful forum and changing coolant, 2 big rad hoses and thermostat on my 06 st1300 at 107,000 kms. Hopefully you’ll see this and if possible could you please send me your pdf tutorial. thanks, Dave

Bike
2010 ST1300
@Coda, go to the top of this page, and click on Articles in the blue band > 1300 Articles. Then scroll through the titles til you find writeups that are cooling system related.

Here's one I found: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1300-1st-significant-service-coolant-thermostat-starter-valve-synch-other.38212/

I'd think there are probably others. A five minute search should get you answers to questions you have not thought up yet. I saw another article that I passed by that might be helpful about banishing leaks from the cooling system. The OEM clamps tend to weep after a while and drive folks nuts. Gates constant tension clamps solve this, though the tightening mechanism is large and you need to carefully position the clamps so they do not interfere with other components. Gates also makes a permanent heat shrink clamp that is pretty cheap.

A few tips (I did not read that article):
Don't over tighten the radiator hose clamps - the metal is thin and you can crush the spigot. Your bike is 16 years old, consider replacing some hoses, though guys have reported hoses in good condition older than that. i found it easier to yank the front fender and wheel to change the t-stat, more work but it gives you major access to everything. Tilt the radiator forward to remove it from the upper two hooks. I nearly bent the brackets before I figured this out. You will need a tiny screw driver to push back the plastic tab on the fan connectors.

Consider getting a Honda Service Manual - it is the single best reference for working on your bike.

To communicate with someone (Private Message or PM), hover your cursor over their screen name, then click on Start Conversation. Write your message and send it.

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I’m new to this extremely helpful forum and changing coolant, 2 big rad hoses and thermostat on my 06 st1300 at 107,000 kms. Hopefully you’ll see this and if possible could you please send me your pdf tutorial. thanks, Dave
Coda,

Check your PMs by clicking on the envelope icon on the tool bar at upper right. Yours should have a round red dot with a "1" in it signifying 1 unread PM. I sent the tutorials to you as you asked.

Regards,

@Coda, go to the top of this page, and click on Articles in the blue band > 1300 Articles. Then scroll through the titles til you find writeups that are cooling system related.

Here's one I found: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1300-1st-significant-service-coolant-thermostat-starter-valve-synch-other.38212/

I'd think there are probably others. A five minute search should get you answers to questions you have not thought up yet. I saw another article that I passed by that might be helpful about banishing leaks from the cooling system. The OEM clamps tend to weep after a while and drive folks nuts. Gates constant tension clamps solve this, though the tightening mechanism is large and you need to carefully position the clamps so they do not interfere with other components. Gates also makes a permanent heat shrink clamp that is pretty cheap.

A few tips (I did not read that article):
Don't over tighten the radiator hose clamps - the metal is thin and you can crush the spigot. Your bike is 16 years old, consider replacing some hoses, though guys have reported hoses in good condition older than that. i found it easier to yank the front fender and wheel to change the t-stat, more work but it gives you major access to everything. Tilt the radiator forward to remove it from the upper two hooks. I nearly bent the brackets before I figured this out. You will need a tiny screw driver to push back the plastic tab on the fan connectors.

Consider getting a Honda Service Manual - it is the single best reference for working on your bike.

To communicate with someone (Private Message or PM), hover your cursor over their screen name, then click on Start Conversation. Write your message and send it.
Thanks very much SM. Exactly the type of info I need so I don’t re invent the wheel. I have the wheel/ fender off and siphoned the rad. I have new top and bottom rad hoses, t’stat and O ring. Also new drain bolt washers. Things like your “tilt the rad” and “use small screw driver” are much appreciated, as is how to PM. I’m using a Haynes and will maybe get Honda’s too.
I have new rear pads and a set of Road 4 Gt’s to install next thanks to people like you and the Forum.

My 2005 with 47,000 is showing all signs of a thermostat gone bad. Bike is relatively new to me. I’m assuming that the cooling hoses have never been replaced. So I’m planning on that with the thermostat.

I can change my own oil and have had the cowlings off. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but is this the kind of thing that will take a professional 3 hours and take me 20? I feel like a man has to know his limitations.

The bike is my daily rider so I don’t want it out of commission too long.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My 2005 with 47,000 is showing all signs of a thermostat gone bad. Bike is relatively new to me. I’m assuming that the cooling hoses have never been replaced. So I’m planning on that with the thermostat.

I can change my own oil and have had the cowlings off. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but is this the kind of thing that will take a professional 3 hours and take me 20? I feel like a man has to know his limitations.

The bike is my daily rider so I don’t want it out of commission too long.
I am sure that you can accomplish this task in a few hours going slow and that includes removing the fairing. I can send you a step by step tutorial that shows with pictures how to do it. Take a look at the tutorial and see if it is a comfortable job for you to undertake.

I need an email address for the tutorial and you judge for yourself.

I am sure that you can accomplish this task in a few hours going slow and that includes removing the fairing. I can send you a step by step tutorial that shows with pictures how to do it. Take a look at the tutorial and see if it is a comfortable job for you to undertake.

Sent you the PM. Thank you.

I got the job all done. Your tutorial was fantastic. Thank you.

Top Bottom