Thermostat Replacement

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Wish I could find a Dihatsu Treios 1.3L thermostat online. My local Honda dealer wants $67.91 CDN plus $7.00 for the O ring. How about someone in Costa Rica post a $5.00 one to me????????
67.91 just for the thermostat... I live in NS and mine was no wheres near that...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I need to get my shed back up, you guys are making me cry! :rolleyes:

Not being able to work on a bike now since last June! o_O

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I need to get my shed back up, you guys are making me cry! :rolleyes:

Not being able to work on a bike now since last June! o_O
I thought it "never rains in Southern California." I know I heard it in a song...
So what's going on, that you can't work on it?
The only excuse I have is life... and some small degree of procrastination. But you could bring it here and use my garage - I'll make room.
I'm not far... just over here in Alabama.
(DISCLAIMER: time, distance and space are all relative. Ahhh, ...relatively speaking.)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought it "never rains in Southern California." I know I heard it in a song...
So what's going on, that you can't work on it?
The only excuse I have is life... and some small degree of procrastination. But you could bring it here and use my garage - I'll make room.
I'm not far... just over here in Alabama.
(DISCLAIMER: time, distance and space are all relative. Ahhh, ...relatively speaking.)
Since June, my wife and I have been involved in "The BIG Move!" At the third week in June, we started "clearing out the house" to sell it. We sold it just a few weeks later and almost EVERYTHING went into 5 storage units. And then we had to live in an apartment for 6 months.

With moving stuff up to our new house in Cedar City Utah, I have been able to reduce what was 7 storage units (5 in Murrieta and 2 in Cedar City), down to two.

The unit in Murrieta has one of my motorcycles and 99% of my motorcycle stuff in it. So until I can get it all up here, other than oil changes (once I find my box of filters [in Murrieta]), I can't do too much work on my bikes.

i posted it. A Dihatsu 1.3 ltr motor has the same thermostat. They are used in Terios models which are very popular in “3rd” world countries like here in Costa Rica. Cost about $5.00

enclosed is a reply to the post. Hope it helps
I posted a comment on that thread. If it is wrong, please let me know and I will delete it, but the two thermostats I have in my hand measure 44 mm and are off center. The one you posted is 52 mm and looks to be centered in the places I could find it on-line. Maybe there are different versions in some countries

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I posted a comment on that thread. If it is wrong, please let me know and I will delete it, but the two thermostats I have in my hand measure 44 mm and are off center. The one you posted is 52 mm and looks to be centered in the places I could find it on-line. Maybe there are different versions in some countries
If the Amazon photo is accurate that does not look much like the OEM or the Turbo Tom thermostats that fit the ST1300. Also the link says they're unavailable anyway. Partzilla has it for $41.64:

1623875889410.png

If the Amazon photo is accurate that does not look much like the OEM or the Turbo Tom thermostats that fit the ST1300. Also the link says they're unavailable anyway. Partzilla has it for $41.64:

1623875889410.png
Yes, the OEM part is probably best, but there are times when you might need a thermostat TODAY to get back on the road. It would be nice if there was one available at NAPA. For example, this one looks like it might work: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/plus/cooling---heating/thermostats/thermostats/555a1167c2f6/murray-plus-180-degree-thermostat/mcs1/3058?pos=3 - but only way to be sure would be to measure and compare, then try. You first.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I tried to find a generic replacement for the ST1300s t-stat years ago, (searched the bins is four different auto parts places) not even the Honda car dealer had anything similar. IT was OEM or Turbo Tom or nothing.

I tried to find a generic replacement for the ST1300s t-stat years ago, (searched the bins is four different auto parts places) not even the Honda car dealer had anything similar. IT was OEM or Turbo Tom or nothing.
These are pics of the Honda thermostat next to the Turbo Tom one. There are some differences, but minor. The key measurements are the same.

The Napa version of the thermostat that OReilly had looks about right, and the measurements are about right, but would have to get one in hand and measure. Of course, in a pinch could just remove the thermostat all together. Would be OK to get one back on the road. The thermostat does not have to be there to form a seal, so all is good.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MRD192932?impressionRank=1&searchCategory=c5.s1&searchIndex=Universal

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
When the bike came in, the temps were 132+, after T-stat replacement, coolant flush, and TB sync, and idling for almost 30 minutes on the lift table, the temps were 82 degrees.
Small things make a difference.
Larry;
This statement doesn't mean much for comparison purposes without knowing where you are taking the temperature readings. I have no complaints about heat with my ST1300, but for the fun of it I thought that I would take its temperature just to see how it compares with your results.
I assume that you are using a contact-less temperature gun, but where on the bike are you shooting the gun to take these readings?

Bike
2009 ST1300
I'm going to replace mine next time it's up for a while and keep the old one as a spare, see if the new one works, I mean they're not very expensive and it's good to have a known good one and a couple gaskets

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300

1623875889410.png
Ron Ayers seems to beat Partzilla every time

1624534415612.png

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Better yet. Funny, I almost always have the opposite experience with Ron Ayers vs. Partzilla and I always cross shop all the on-line sites. Cases like these are why I always cross shop though.
That's the key to success. Shop around. :)

Top Bottom