Thermostats

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I have read a little on here lately about sticking thermostats....Some mention was made that after warm up there should always be 3 bars showing...Does this apply regardless of temps?.....in warm weather after warm up my 06 ST1300 always shows 3 bars but in colder temps that isnt the case....in the 40s it may drop to 2 bars...In the 30s I've seen it at 1 bar...When I stop for example at a light it quickly goes back to 3....Do I have anything to be concerned about?...Comebacks appreciated...Bill

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Should always be at 3 bars... your t-stat is sticking a least a little... because in cold weather it should be closed until the engine warms up the coolant to a temp where it needs to be cooled off, triggering the t-stat to open and flow through the radiator, cooling off the fluid.... since it's stuck open, the coolant is cooling more than necessary and causing the overall engine temps to lower...

It's something you would want to address eventually, in the short term it will mean you will get lower MPG numbers but shouldn't cause you to be stranded on the side of the road.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have read a little on here lately about sticking thermostats....Some mention was made that after warm up there should always be 3 bars showing...Does this apply regardless of temps?.....in warm weather after warm up my 06 ST1300 always shows 3 bars but in colder temps that isnt the case....in the 40s it may drop to 2 bars...In the 30s I've seen it at 1 bar...When I stop for example at a light it quickly goes back to 3....Do I have anything to be concerned about?...Comebacks appreciated...Bill
Replace your thermostat, its corroded and starting to stick open.
You should always have (3) bars when warmed up.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Should always be at 3 bars... your t-stat is sticking a least a little... because in cold weather it should be closed until the engine warms up the coolant to a temp where it needs to be cooled off, triggering the t-stat to open and flow through the radiator, cooling off the fluid.... since it's stuck open, the coolant is cooling more than necessary and causing the overall engine temps to lower...

It's something you would want to address eventually, in the short term it will mean you will get lower MPG numbers but shouldn't cause you to be stranded on the side of the road.
:plus1:
Once again, Mellow beat me to the reply :D
At least when they fail, they stick open and not closed.

OP
OP
saddletramp8511

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Thanks for the comeback all...Guess I need to replace a thermostat.....Dang just got the tupperware back on..Bill

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Hey I ain't naming names. No need to throw somebody under the bus. :well1:
I already did that in a previous posts. :rofl1:

Truth be told I was looking at the same massive leak after the cap went back on thinking rut ro cracked cap. I didn't see the ground terminal right in front of my face. :doh1:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
It was a learning experience... for me too... Heck, I helped him the first 3x. Just can't see it from the other side of the bike.

Sometimes things so simple can trick ya.... I won't admit it about the time I forgot the oil plug during a change ( till I saw the puddle ) ! :)

And don't worry, I'll give him a hug next time I see him. :O No bus intended. ( the crotch protector is another story )

PS..will try and make it this yr agn to tech, no work needed but will bring tools and helping hands.

Top Bottom