Things to Check on ST1300 for FI Light Code 26

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
  • I’ve owned my 2005 for eight years now and recently started getting the dreaded FI light. I’m getting ready to diagnose the issue to hopefully find something other than the ECU. Here’s a list of things I plan to check. What am I missing?
    • Battery tests (passed)
      • At rest
      • Under load
      • When charging
    • Connections to ECU and knock sensors
      • Disconnect and reconnect
      • Confirm wiring looks good
    • Any sign of rodents in air box, wiring etc. (passed)
    • Clogged T connector and vacuum hoses under air box (passed)
    • Fuel pump and hoses
    • Confirm spark plugs are tight
    • Switch knock sensors and see if the code changes from 26 to 25
      • This would indicate a bad sensor

Last edited:

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Howdy. You might look in the 'Articles Section ST1300'. A couple of recent posts and all the replies included. I'm thankful I have not experienced this dilemma.
My thoughts would include (disconnect battery) checking resistance for both knock sensor wires. Inspect electrical plugs at computer and sensors. Test knock sensors (clean?). Check general integrity of all electrical wiring and grounds. IGoFar has resolved some of these Knock Sensor codes without having to replace computer. I would run a tank of 91 octane-non ethanol. The last 7 years I've read a few members experiencing this situation. I've also read that quite a few members run low octane fuel. Seems to me the knock sensors would be working overtime to offset using lower octane than what Honda recommends (91octane). Hoping the best for you. I really like these bikes.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Terminator,

You bring up a point I have always thought about with regard to the 25/26 problem. It would be interesting to see if people that have had this happen have run less than 91 octane fuel. But, when I have considered it, I have dismissed it because even if they induce a knock under load, the system should just work….working the system should not smoke the ECU.

Anyway….just food for thought.

Ray

Bike
2009 ST1300
I'm pretty sure it's Mellow that started a survey [?] inviting people to contribute various details about their 25 / 26 fault codes; remedial efforts, bike details; years and milage and whether they're continuing to ride the bike and so on.
At last read, it's not getting the attention or contributions it warrants but I think that will come around as these bikes are getting old but not uglier, and it seems to be the achilleas heel.

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I ran into a snag. Everything looked good with the air filter and I tried removing the housing to get to the T connector underneath. One of the screws won't come out and the head is now stripped. I tried using an impact driver and an easy out but no luck. I know I had it off a few years ago and the T connector was okay. I may just have to put it back together and hope that's still the case. Any ideas on how to get it out without doing damage?

OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Could you carefully drill off the head, get the cover removed, then remove the remainder of the screw with pliers or vise grips?
That's an idea that's worth a try. I've already drilled quite a bit hoping to get the easy out to bite enough to remove the screw, but it's a pretty tight spot to work in. Hopefully there'll be enough material left of the screw for the vice grips to grab onto.

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
These screws are JIS not Philips or Pozi.

Using the correct Screwdriver / Impact greatly increases probability of successful extraction of screw

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The 2012 and newer police models have upgraded to 8mm head fasteners.

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
Try reverse thread drills . Sometimes the screw will come out just by drilling it. If not you will drill the head off anyway

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobbieAG

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I got the screw out! Phew, that was painful! After carefully drilling the screw out with the left handed bit (not going farther than the length of the screw), the easy out bit enough for the screw to be extracted. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'll definitely be getting the hex head screws from the 2015 and later police model that Larry mentioned (part #91508-MGP-D00). I never want to go through that again o_O

Top Bottom