Thinking about a new bike for the wife

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Not sure if y'all are stuck on the BMW but Lynne (5'5") my wife, Loves her Super Tenere. I lowered it and she has a custom seat. It fits her very well. Many miles later no issues.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
FWIW, MSF no longer teaches relying on the left foot down at stop, after the stop

When teaching a BRC1 I tell the students to put the left foot down first and then the right one. We only have them put both feet down to keep from tipping the bike over (lots of 1st time riders). I never tell a rider to put both feet down if they keep the right one on the brake and have good control stopping and starting the bike. The last ARC I took the instructor (motor officer) insisted we keep the right foot on the brake at all time when stopped.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Have you looked at the BMW R1200R or R1200RS. They are both about 100 pounds lighter than the RT. I have a 2016 R1200RS. I bought it over a RT because the RT has too much wind protection for me. I can't take the heat. You can get a low seat for them. They both take the same seat.
Hi Kieth, yea, I looked at the R, and the RS. If she decides on riding either one , I'll be surprised. A little more protection on the RT, and when you live in the great white north of Minnesnowta, that's important.
It is always an option.
Thank you

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was talking from the MSF curriculum as it is currently published but individual instructors may or may not follow it. For instance the last ARC I took the ex motor officer instructor instructed to front brake with all four fingers because if you use 1 or 2 “you can lose fingers if crushed between the lever and grip”. I’m pretty sure that’s not in the curriculum.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I think the R1200RS has a narrower seat which would make it easier for the feet to reach the ground. If I didn’t regularly carry a passenger I would consider it.

Gerhard

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Hi Kieth, yea, I looked at the R, and the RS. If she decides on riding either one , I'll be surprised. A little more protection on the RT, and when you live in the great white north of Minnesnowta, that's important.
It is always an option.
Thank you
I don't think the naked R would work for you. I would probably have a RT if I lived where you live. July and August is battery tender season for me here in Oklahoma. I hate triple digit heat.
Good luck on your search. I hope she finds a bike and will ride with you.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
So my wife is 5'4" tall with I think a 28" inseam. She is on her fourth bike in 6 years just to find the "right one". There are the key words the "right one". What does that mean? Who knows but in her case it was one the she felt comfortable on in all situations. Well last August she found the right one for now. A 2014 F700GS standard suspension. From BMW this bike came in a standard height and a factory lowered height. Hers is standard, but we found a used factory lowered seat. Can she flat foot? No. She can touch the floor with the balls of her feet, which is enough. But 99% of the time you are on two wheels and no feet. She uses the tripod method as mentioned earlier. Left down, right on the back brake. What is most important is prior planning when stopping when you are challenged to have both feet firmly on the floor. Uneven surfaces are a killer (bad word) but looking ahead and planning those stops go a long way when planting the foot or feet.

One other comment. We stopped looking at specific bikes and models. We looked at everything that seemed to fit her stature. Was she planning on an ADV style bike? Nope. it just happened to be the "right one".

An additional note I should add here. Several years ago my wife bought some riding boots with a 25mm internal heel lift. The brand is Daytona, I don't know the model/style, but they were designed for women. Kind of pricey, in the 400 range, but an excellent boot. These really helped with getting the feet on the floor and having that confidence level one needs.

Last edited:

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
So my wife is 5'4" tall with I think a 28" inseam. She is on her fourth bike in 6 years just to find the "right one". There are the key words the "right one". What does that mean? Who knows but in her case it was one the she felt comfortable on in all situations. Well last August she found the right one for now. A 2014 F700GS standard suspension. From BMW this bike came in a standard height and a factory lowered height. Hers is standard, but we found a used factory lowered seat. Can she flat foot? No. She can touch the floor with the balls of her feet, which is enough. But 99% of the time you are on two wheels and no feet. She uses the tripod method as mentioned earlier. Left down, right on the back brake. What is most important is prior planning when stopping when you are challenged to have both feet firmly on the floor. Uneven surfaces are a killer (bad word) but looking ahead and planning those stops go a long way when planting the foot or feet.

One other comment. We stopped looking at specific bikes and models. We looked at everything that seemed to fit her stature. Was she planning on an ADV style bike? Nope. it just happened to be the "right one".

An additional note I should add here. Several years ago my wife bought some riding boots with a 25mm internal heel lift. The brand is Daytona, I don't know the model/style, but they were designed for women. Kind of pricey, in the 400 range, but an excellent boot. These really helped with getting the feet on the floor and having that confidence level one needs.
Congrats on finding a workable solution for your wife.
An added plus is the F700GS is an excellent bike.
Have a great summer.

Top Bottom