This one hurts...

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The foot-pegs are fixed, so you first have to position your butt to suit your legs, then position your hands to suit your back, shoulders, and arms. That's what I did on my '01 before my hip replacement.

Fortunately, with my new hip, as of June of '22, I can now ride comfortably for a while on my '96 as well, even with lower seat and bars. I can mount either bike from either side, like they did on CHiPs.

You can see by the thickness of the side of the seat how high it is. My knees no longer touch the fairing. With the raised bars, I sit upright, and no parts of my body call undue attention to themselves.

1708714782848.png

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
3 months ago, I had to have a knee surgery. I was dragging it out as long as I could, but finally it got to the point where I couldn’t bend my right leg far enough to put my sock on. Not to mention turning around and going back home a couple of hours into a bike trip last fall. The surgery was to grind off multiple bone spurs that grew over the years. Also had to have both menisci repaired, that they couldn’t do-beyond repair, but they did remove some broken off pieces. On top of it all it turns out I have a moderate case of osteoarthritis in my knee. Needless to say, after 3 months of intense physical therapy with different pt's and exercise regimen at home my right knee refuses to bend past 90 degrees. It takes about half an hour on a stationary bike and 15-20 minutes of stretching exercises to get it to about 105/110 degrees.
Guys this sucks royally.
I joined this forum when I bought my ST and was looking for help with the alternator swap. Ever since then, barely a day goes by that I don’t check in on the site to see wass up. I literally love the bike but right now I can’t even put my foot up on the peg. I thought of installing some kind of foot forward peg with brake, but there a limits as to what makes sense and what could potentially be unsafe. I did a ton of work to the bike, with your help, everything was done with keeping the bike forever in mind. You want to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans. Majority of it was shared with you on this very forum. Now it’s just going to sit until I break down enough emotionally to sell it. I am not ready to give up riding altogether though. I need to find something that will accommodate riding with legs at slight bend. I have never ridden a cruiser style of bike for more than a few miles. I have never had a desire to own a cruiser style bike, not my thing. What do you guys suggest? I am sure, I am not the only one with knee problems here. I am not ready for a total knee replacement yet. Feeling sorry for myself.
Time passed and I hope you are doing well now.
My Mom had knee surgery last year. I was surprised by how fast she recovered. She never used a walker and used the cane for less than a week. She was back to normal in a few weeks, though had to take Canadian pharmacy anti-inflammatory medicines the first days after the surgery. She is in great physical shape now and doesn't regret going through this. I hope your recovery also didn't take much time.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I’m coming up on 2 years (May) since my left knee replacement. It’s been a big improvement from before. I still wish I had a few more degrees flexion, but I’ve got enough to ride my motorcycle comfortably. Not sure I’ll ever be able to ride a sport bike again though.
Now my right one is playing up. I expected it to eventually but I was hoping not this soon. Got an appointment with the ortho guy next month.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I’m coming up on 2 years (May) since my left knee replacement. It’s been a big improvement from before. I still wish I had a few more degrees flexion, but I’ve got enough to ride my motorcycle comfortably. Not sure I’ll ever be able to ride a sport bike again though.
Now my right one is playing up. I expected it to eventually but I was hoping not this soon. Got an appointment with the ortho guy next month.
Jeff - Both of mine are 13+ years old and I have found that I have gained a little more 'flexion' over the years as I 'push' and use them.
I ca actually squat now (not for long) whereas I could not in the early years.

OP
OP
Jerbear
Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
How is your knee now?
Hey, thanks for asking! The knee is not much better then before. Still something causes it to "lock up" although the doc said that there is nothing "mechanically" wrong with it. He said that when I was under anesthesia I had a full range of motion. It is what it is. My awesome wife took mercy on me and agreed to get a different bike. I bought a 2017 Kawasaki Voyager. No more knee discomfort. However in October of last year I was helping load some suitcases into back of my truck and felt weird pain in my lower back. Thought nothing of it at the time. Next day I could not get out of bed, I felt like something is really wrong with my lower back. I could not bend to put my socks on, used a coat hanger to do that. The pain got progressively worse throughout the day. Wife was not home, she was in Texas with my youngest on a hockey tournament, my oldest was away for the weekend with friends in a different state and I was home alone with my middle child. She has downs syndrome and is very sensitive and emotional. She had hard time understanding why dad is screaming from pain. Talk about a shitshow. I managed to get to see a doc the next Monday. Turned out I have ruptured a disc in my lower back. Part of the disc is compressing some sciatic nerve causing all this otherworldly pain. Call me a pussy but this was a pain on next level. Got some meds and physical therapy that didn't help. I just wanted to kill the PT, this went on for couple of weeks. Finally the doc said that the only option is to operate to remove the pressure on the nerve. Me being the old stubborn goat that I am, I said no to surgery, not yet anyway. I am to the point where I can feel my leg and toes again, and be able to tolerate some of the pain. Haven't tried riding yet but with the warmer weather coming up I should know shortly. Yeah, buying a different bike solved the knee issue, curious as how the back will deal with it.

Bike
st1300, xr250
It has been 6 years since I had partial knee replacement in both knees. It took me about 6 months before I could ride for 3 hours or more without discomfort.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I have never had a desire to own a cruiser style bike, not my thing. What do you guys suggest? I am sure, I am not the only one with knee problems here. I am not ready for a total knee replacement yet. Feeling sorry for myself.
In the summer of 2015, I started having some major knee pain. I was okay while walking, but if I tried to jog even one step...I would scream from the pain.

It started back in high school with a knee injury and it kept going over the intervening years. Cartilage torn and removed. multiple times The medial collateral ligament sewn back together. Finally, I went to see my Primary Care doctor in the summer of 2015. He told me the standard story of how they would take some X-rays today and send me to PT for six weeks. If that didn't help, then they would do the MRI because the insurance would need some proof the extra cost was needed. He did the X-Ray, then showed me a 5 minute review of all the things wrong with my knee...and then asked if I could get an MRI that afternoon. That was a total change in his attitude when he saw the X-ray! I'm still not sure what he saw, but I'm betting it was bone on bone and possibly the ACL torn. Before I left, he said make an appointment with this surgeon and him only. No one else. And if I had a problem getting an appointment, to use his name.

So I made the appointment. The surgeon says I'm going to PT anyway. Okay. It's not unexpected. But when I arrive for the pre-surgery briefing they held, the room is full of geriatrics. They're using canes and walkers to get in. I walked in. They seem o-o-o-o-l-l-l-l-l-d-d-d-d. I don't feel old, though counting the years up put me at 63. Maybe like you I'm thinking, I can put this off. We're talking about a Total Knee Replacement. That means they'll "amputate" my leg in two places...below the knee and above it and sew it all together. That's scary!

I go in with my wife for the pre-op appointment and the surgeon outlines the two options I have. In the back of my mind are both the geriatrics I saw (and I'm not one of them!) and the multiple operations I've had over the years to repair my knee. He gives me Option #1. Remove the cartilage which that has lasted 2-3 years for some people. Option #2 is to do a Total Knee Replacement.

I tell him I'll take Option #1 thank you. In two to three years, we'll do it all over again. It's a quick surgery and I'm up and moving around very quickly. And in 3 years, we'll do it all over again. Somehow in the back of my mind, I'm thinking all this stuff grows back...it doesn't.

And then he bursts my bubble. He said in my case Option #1 might last six months at best. Probably less. Well, what then I ask? Option #2. Ugh...it seems there's no escaping it. The only thing Option #1 does for me, is to delay the inevitable for a few months. Let's get it over now then. At least it is now November, and I'll be healed up by the time for good riding weather. Yes, my life revolves around God, my Family...and my Riding.

I did the total knee replacement and have never looked back. The operation was in mid-November. Within a few weeks, I was riding my Honda NT700V to physical therapy though it was a bit shaky. I pushed myself in the PT sessions to the point where I was about to cry. And only by the night before the next PT session was I pain free...and then I'd do it again.

In March my future son-in-law took me on a hike near Palo Alto. It was supposed to be "short" and "level". It wasn't. It was 8.5 miles of rolling terrain. We might've not gained or lost much elevation overall, but there was a lot accumulated. I did it, though I was pushing it. But without the surgery, it would've been impossible.

In 2018, I rode through the 5 national parks in Utah. Here's a picture from the East Observation Point to the bottom where I started.

1709012789089.png

Eight miles. 2300 ft of elevation gain. And my knee never gave me any problems. That day, I walked 39,000 steps. I could not have done it without the total knee replacement.

On Friday, 1 March, I'm getting a tendon fixed (30% is torn) in my left foot. But it'll be worth it. I can either sit back and reminisce on what could've been...or just do it and move on. And yes, some of it requires pushing through pain. But I can bend my knee way past 90 degrees to the point where the ball of the foot is on the top of the footpegs for hours...and it is totally comfortable. I doubt I'd even be riding if I hadn't done the surgery.

It's been six years now, and I don't regret at all what getting that surgery has done to make my life more active.

When I was considering Option #1 or #2, the surgeon said something that has stuck in my mind. Yes, you can opt out of the surgery. But what quality of life do you want?

I'm not writing this to say "neener neener neener, look at me". I'm hoping to encourage you to take that leap of faith to unlock the possibilities of the last years of your life. To experience it fully.

Chris

Last edited:
Bike
2014 ST1300
Hearing the positive stories is awesome. The night after my surgery, I was wondering what the heck I had gotten myself into. I may need to get the other knee done but if you’d asked me that night, I would have said no way (I appreciate that’s likely not the point to gauge things, ie when the spinal block wears off)

I’m now about 5 weeks out, I can weigh bear on the knee but still use a walker or cane for any distance, as much to assist with relearning how to walk with proper form as anything. Have to break the bow legged limp habit.

Two of the biggest recovery boosts were being able to shower and to drive. It’s also good to see the physio pay off with greater range of movement and muscles starting to loosen up.

The last remaining big hurdle, at least right now, is sleep. I’d kill for a solid uninterrupted 6 hours in a bed as opposed to 2-3 hour blocks in a recliner.

This too shall pass…….right?

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Last count, I have had 17 orthopedic surgeries to replace/repair/remove/reconstruct various 'failing' body structural parts. ;)
But I figure if I average the age of my new 'components' with my OEM 'components' I'm about 18 years old on the average! :biggrin:
Now if you could quit breakin' ribs, that would be great :thumb: .....

Top Bottom